January 2013 Moms

Water?

LO had his 6 month check up today and the pedi said we should be giving him water. Is it necessary? I mean he only get a little bit of solid but still mostly drinks formula. She also said starting him on cereal now will help to weed out allergies but I never was really a fan of the idea. I went straight to fruits and veggies. I did find out this morning that my daycare provider has been giving him cereal. I was none too pleased!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Water?

• First of all, bummer on the daycare!  That is horrible that they were giving your baby food without your knowledge!

Our pedi also recommended starting water in a sippy cup.  She said 2-4 oz a day would be fine, so I've been offering a sippy with 1-2 oz in it.  DS hasn't quite figured out the sippy cup thing yet (I'm hoping I didn't buy the wrong one, lol), but we do offer it daily, especially after experimenting with solids.  

Psalm 139:14 -- "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
  • My pedi said to start cereals for the iron, but I countered that with DS getting iron fortified formula as well as BM. I bought some oatmeal cereal anyway, though. I also thought of introing meat to get DS's iron up. I tried meat chunks but it freaked me out too much. I'm sure he'd be fine, and I've given him banana chunks and steamed green bean, but watching him try to figure out the meat chunks got my paranoia going so we're waiting a little longer for that. I'm still on the fence about pureeing meats now or just doing the cereal.

My pedi gave water the green light too. DS plays with his sippy cup of water but doesn't get much down except for at dinner. Halfway through his veggies he'll want a drink of water. It took my mom suggesting he wanted to wash down his food when he was getting fussy halfway through his meal. A little water and he's back to wanting more food. He gets two ice cubes of solids for dinner.

I hope the DC apologized profusely! With so many approaches and opinions o feeding babies these days a DC should know to ask the parent's wishes!!

• Loading the player...
  • Ugh about the daycare + cereal situation, it's annoying when people can't just follow simple instructions! We haven't given DD any cereal yet but I probably will make her some oatmeal next week.

Water isn't necessary from everything I've read/been told. Our Dr. told us we could give her a few ounces if we wanted to but mostly it would be to teach her to drink from a cup. DD gets about 2 ounces of solids a day and is BFed on demand outside of that so I know she's getting plenty of fluids. 

• Our pedi said we could offer a little bit of water so we are going to start that probably tomorrow. She has a sippy cup that she has played with but we haven't put anything in it yet. 
  • We have been giving S water since the begining of the summer, I mean, if I'm hot and thirsty she's probably too; she has a few sips while eating her solids and also when we are out and about between feedings and is hot

We skipped cereals, too; we do fruit at lunch and veggies at dinner

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I give water to LO in a cup. She was just gumming on the sippy cup lid so I just help her drink from a cup. It is hot this week so she gets a couple of tablespoons a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MichieU79 said:
    imageMichieU79:
    I've read that once babies start eating larger amounts of food how much? IDK that they should be offered water, especially if they are formula fed. My doc, however, said its fine to give it, but not really necessary. He said on hot days if he is out it would be good. nbsp;That said, I am offering a real, little kid, cup that I let him sip out of. nbsp;However, it's been the tiniest of amounts. nbsp;I decided against a sippy cup but will start him on a straw cup once he drinks more regularly. nbsp;But, during meals I am going to try for regular cups only. nbsp;We as going to have messes anyway. nbsp;What is a little water added to the mess!?Hs face when I gave him his first sip of water was priceless. nbsp;He had no reaction at all to avocado but the water made him cringe! nbsp;So odd. nbsp;:nbsp;

not to take over this post but can I ask why you decided against a sippy?

I am sure it's just from me over-reading, but I have read about possible speech delays and dental issues with prolonged use of sippy cups. Something about the tongues position. The article stated that straws were much better at preventing articulation problems with speech. However, that's with prolonged use. I know lots of kids without issues...I think as long as you encourage cup use and don't let them have the sippy all day it is ok. I just figured i'd start with the straw instead and limit use to when we go out and I don't want him to make a mess.
    I do offer a cup with a straw because I thought it was cooler than a sippy cup and afterwards read that it's apparently the new thing to do because sippys can cause speech problems. Something about creating a tongue thrust vs learning how to suck in with the tongue. DD loves my CamelBak water bottle so I bought a cup with a straw. Just sort of happened that way.
  • We offer DS a straw cup of water with his "after work" baby food, he gets a few swallows of water down him but mostly just handles the cup! LOL.

We started on baby oatmeal because I wanted him to learn on that...now he'll still eat it if I offer it with his morning meal...but I don't always. It is empty calories but DS really likes it and I'll probably just use up the one container until it's gone and be done with it.

I'd be upset if my DCP did that without my consent. So far we've hit the jackpot with our DCP she follows all my directions and is a 20+ year in-home DCP. We love her and DS really seems to love her too. He has been home sick this week with a fever and she has called every day for an update and cannot wait to get him back. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Thanks Ladies! Yeah, I wasn't happy about the day care especially since I provided the purees but she just decided on the cereal for me. Like WTH lady?! But I don't mind experimenting with water the pedi just made it sound like it was something we HAD to do.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBrendamndz:
    imageMichieU79:
    I've read that once babies start eating larger amounts of food how much? IDK that they should be offered water, especially if they are formula fed. My doc, however, said its fine to give it, but not really necessary. He said on hot days if he is out it would be good. nbsp;That said, I am offering a real, little kid, cup that I let him sip out of. nbsp;However, it's been the tiniest of amounts. nbsp;I decided against a sippy cup but will start him on a straw cup once he drinks more regularly. nbsp;But, during meals I am going to try for regular cups only. nbsp;We as going to have messes anyway. nbsp;What is a little water added to the mess!?Hs face when I gave him his first sip of water was priceless. nbsp;He had no reaction at all to avocado but the water made him cringe! nbsp;So odd. nbsp;:nbsp;

not to take over this post but can I ask why you decided against a sippy?

Lots of moms skip the Sippy because itisnt absolutely necessary and dental issues can arise with prolonged use. I don't plan to have DS on the Sippy too long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"