December 2013 Moms

recalled soft cheese caused miscarriage and death

https://jezebel.com/evil-recalled-cheese-linked-to-miscarriages-and-death-710437674

https://www.jsonline.com/business/crave-brothers-cheese-recall-extends-to-four-states-b9949775z1-214602261.html

I know we all kind of make fun of listeria hysteria, but I read this today and wanted to share... this is why I stay away from all soft cheeses personally.  The second article states that the recalled cheese was pasteurized, so that's no guarantee of safety. 

Re: recalled soft cheese caused miscarriage and death

• So scary. I read about the recall last week but didn't realize that there was illness and a death and a miscarriage because of it. I love me some Brie cheese but I guess I will not be having any. The weird thing it that for some reason I would feel "safer" eating this cheese from a Whole Foods rather than some other shadier establishment. I hope no one else suffers.

Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • SigirSigir member
    imageNJMom050911:
    So scary. I read about the recall last week but didn't realize that there was illness and a death and a miscarriage because of it. I love me some Brie cheese but I guess I will not be having any. The weird thing it that for some reason I would feel "safer" eating this cheese from a Whole Foods rather than some other shadier establishment. I hope no one else suffers.

Ita!! If I was jonesing for some Brie I would probably be very tempted to think a pasteurized package of cheese from a whole foods was totally safe.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelrachelle80:

It's very scary - but when I was pregnant with DD, there was a huge outbreak of listeria with cantaloupe and some sort of lettuce, and people don't warn you to stay away from those.  Unfortunately, the truth is listeria can live in almost any food that isn't extremely processed, so there's no way to completely protect yourself. 

Certainly avoid it if it makes you more comfortable and feel safer, though!

I'm a freak and I don't like most cheese in general and ESPECIALLY not soft cheese so I'm lucky to not have to worry about that too much. 

This.  And we're not even talking about e.coli, botulism and many other forms of food borne illnesses. The only way to be completely safe is to stop eating, but since that's not feasible, the best way to protect yourself is to use some common sense - not only in what you buy from the store, but how you prepare food at home as well.

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• imagelrachelle80:

It's very scary - but when I was pregnant with DD, there was a huge outbreak of listeria with cantaloupe and some sort of lettuce, and people don't warn you to stay away from those.  Unfortunately, the truth is listeria can live in almost any food that isn't extremely processed, so there's no way to completely protect yourself. 

Certainly avoid it if it makes you more comfortable and feel safer, though!

I'm a freak and I don't like most cheese in general and ESPECIALLY not soft cheese so I'm lucky to not have to worry about that too much. 

Oh yeaaaaa, I totally remember the cantaloupe recall.  That was a big one if I remember correctly  

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Not that this makes it any better, but you can be exposed to listeria and not develop listeriosis.

If you're interested, I posted outcomes data from a case review of 222 maternal listeriosis  cases in the "cold cuts" thread.

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• kate14kate14 member
    I think cheese is the same as cold cuts. If you are craving brie and are worried heating up (baked brie!) should do the trick!
  • This is probably flameful given the thread, but I still eat blue cheese (love me some gargonzola).  I make sure it's pasteurized for sure, but this news story hasnt changed my mind whatsoever.  I still there's still a higher chance to get listeria from foods like spinach and cantelope.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"