Baby Names

Emerson ...is all hope lost?!

Is it a lost cause to try to use Emerson as a boys name? I love the connection it gives me to one of my favorite authors ..and I'm not about to use Ralph or Waldo....but I am seeing that it is a bit more popular for girls. I've never actually met an Emerson before, so I'm unsure if people would hear it and automatically assume its a girl. Thoughts? To me it is a male name and because of its meaning...not even a name I would consider gender neutral but Apparently it's a choice for girls.
image imageimage

Re: Emerson ...is all hope lost?!

• Yes, although I love it for a boy, I think it's a lost cause.  Another great boy name bites the dust
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I still see Emerson as boy.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBootsyLou:
    Yes, although I love it for a boy, I think it's a lost cause. nbsp;Another great boy name bites the dust

Why must they take all the great boy names for girls?! Boy names are hard as it is!
    image imageimage
  • imageBootsyLou:
    Yes, although I love it for a boy, I think it's a lost cause.  Another great boy name bites the dust

I hate to agree with this but I do!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• imageHelenahhandbasket:

imageBootsyLou:
    Yes, although I love it for a boy, I think it's a lost cause.  Another great boy name bites the dust

I hate to agree with this but I do!

I guess I could always move it to my girl list :Mobile frowny face:
    image imageimage
  • I still like it for a boy better and it has meaning for you...

Start the Reclaim the Name brigade for boys everywhere! :) 

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageEmpireceo:
    I still like it for a boy better and it has meaning for you...Start the Reclaim the Name brigade for boys everywhere! :nbsp;

Maybe I can have Tshirts printed up?!
    :mobile winky face:
    I just would hate for possible boy baby to be in a class with a girl named his name. I'm not a fan of GN names!
    image imageimage
  • Yea, I think its a lost cause. I automatically think girl. It might be because I know at least 6 Emerson girls aged 6 and under....
    Me 33, DH 33, Charlotte 5, Ethan 3
  • da731da731 member
    Hearing "Emerson," my first thought is: "Girl" . . . followed immediately thereafter by "Blech."

I fully appreciate your want to honor one of your favorite authors (loving a good literary tie-in, myself), but I fear that effort would be stymied now, overshadowed by the gaggle of girl Emersons he would encounter throughout his school years.
  • The only Emerson I know is a boy. So, yeah...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • The only Emerson I knew was a boy. I like the name! 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Check out Emerson on this list:

https://public.tableausoftware.com/views/GenderedNameChanges/GenderedNameChanges?:embed=y&:display_count=no

Looks like about 60% of Emersons are female these days. 

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• swgdvmswgdvm member
    I love it for a boy!
    I never met an emerson before
  • I don't think it's too far gone. Here are the recent ratios:

2012: 1,301 girls and 828 boys (1.5:1 in favor of girls)

2002: 280 girls and 223 boys (1.25:1 in favor of girls)

1992: fewer than 5 girls and 119 boys (at least 30:1 in favor of boys)

So it's definitely gone from "boy" to "unisex" in a short time, but the girls aren't really dominating and it hasn't moved too fast toward the girls in the past decade.

• I see the stats, but this name is all boy to me. Use it if you love it
  • imageEmpireceo:

I still like it for a boy better and it has meaning for you...

Start the Reclaim the Name brigade for boys everywhere! :) 

This! I would love to see Emerson on a boy again.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • It's a boy name, take it back!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageminervacullen:
    The only Emerson I know is a boy. So, yeah...

this. 

image image

• My BIL is Emerson. I think of it as a boy name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"