Baby Names

Adelaide or Genevieve

My husband is really in love with the name Adelaide. I used to love it equally, but now I'm having doubts because of the number of little girls with the nn Addie. DH insists that we can call her Adelaide and correct anyone who uses Addie, but I feel like that's a losing battle. 

I am in love with Genevieve. DH likes this name as well, but not as much as Adelaide.

Which do you prefer? Bonus points if you can think of a MN to go with your pick other than Grace, etc. Our last name is 2 syllables and rhymes with "wisely".  

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Adelaide or Genevieve

• Oh man I love both of those names, but I think I like Genevieve better. Adeline is lovely too.

For MNs, maybe Genevieve Anne or Adelaide Rose?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• I much prefer Genevieve.

Genevieve Colette

Genevieve Elise

Genevieve Estelle

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I like Genevieve much better. Depending on your style there are a lot of MN options out there. What about Ann/e, Marie, Rose, Louise, Claire...?

• Adalaide.  I love it.

Adelaide Faye

Adelaide Wren

Adelaide Rose

Adelaide Gail

Adelaide Kate

Adeliade Corrine

Adeliade Simone

Adelaide Colleen

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I love both, but my vote goes towards Adelaide because one of my favorite teachers ever was named Adelaide. 

• Love Adelaide!! We'll never be able to use it though because a very close cousin of mine just named her daughter Adalyn and they are to similar IMO.

I think Adelaide Claire would be lovely.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Genevieve gets my vote.

Mn options
    Catherine
    Nicole
    Louise
  • I prefer Genevieve over Adelaide.  But I think you can totally correct the NN with Adelaide.  If you both love it, you should go for it!

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• My grandma as Adelaide :)

• I am for Genevieve - it's gorgeous!!

Genevieve Sloan

Genevieve Brynn

Genevieve Camille

Genevieve Elise

• Genevieve. I'm not great with MNs. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Adelaide, not a huge fan of Genevieve.
  • I really like them both but of the two, I'd pick Genevieve for the reason you listed. I love Adelaide, but I'm afraid it's going to be lumped with the Addison/Adelyn Addie trend.

Genevieve Eliza

Genevieve Christine

Genevieve Colleen

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Genevieve is beautiful! I don't get Adelaide. It's not bad, but it makes me think of Gatorade.
    TTC since June, 2011 with anovulatory PCOS, 1 blocked tube, and mild MFI
    3rd cycles clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    4th cycles letrozole/Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 = BFP! Twins due 2/5/2014
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I wouldn't drop Adelaide just because of the Addie trend.  There are lots of other nn options (Adele, Lady, Heidi, Dela, Ada), or she could go without one.

I think the nn Eve is going to be just as popular as people try to get away from Ella/Ellie/etc.  Most Genevieves I have known go by Ginny or no nn.  I like Nev/Neve or Veva.

Adelaide Eloise, Ingrid, Vienna,

Genevieve Michelle, Arden, Marie

• I am somewhat biased because my DD is Adelaide - we do call Addy sometimes but that doesn't bother me 

I do love Genevieve though and wish DH would get on board for next baby if its a girl - I like the name Evie as a NN 

• I LOVE Adelaide! That's on my name list already because its a city in Australia...hubby and I are BIG travelers. But I haven't heard Genevieve in a while. Love it too. Might even add it to my list.

Maybe use a family name as the middle. Make it mean something.
  • Genevieve
    Birthday

• ObLaDiObLaDi member
    imageJoy2611:

I think you can overcome the Addie nickname, especially if your child is on board.  I know plenty of kids who will say "No, my name is Thomas, not Tom."

But, I love Genevieve.  I'd use that with the nickname Eve in a heartbeat over Adelaide.

I agree with all of this. 

• My grandma is Genevieve and she goes by Gen, pronounced Jen.  I think it is a beautiful name. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the feel of Genevieve better. Adelaide sounds too southern for my taste. I like Genevieve Mae 
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• MrsCFBMrsCFB member

I strongly dislike Adelaide, so Genevieve gets my vote.

Genevieve Rose.

• I would go with Adelaide.

DD #1 5.4.14  
    EDD #2 5.4.17

• LC122LC122 member
    My H loves Adelaide, but I have the same issue with nn Addie.
    I prefer Genevieve, but my sister's name is Jenna and I've seen Gena or other spelling variations of the same sounding name and couldn't deal with that. Plus, MIL is Eva and I couldn't risk Eve as a nn either. So, it doesn't work for me even though I otherwise like it.
    Another option for nn's and mn's is to pick a name with an initial that works with the first initial. Like, I know someone with different names but their initials are GG, so she goes by GG or Gigi. So, if you did Genevieve Gail, you could use GG as nn. I'm too tired to think of what other letters that would work with, but good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"