Parenting

Generic formulas

I don't usually post here but I'm not really getting answers to the question I'm asking on my BMB and I know there are a lot of people active on this board. Hope no one minds if I post here!

Has anyone tried various generics? Were there any differences or we all the generics generally the same? I tried target with no luck and I'm wondering if a different generic will be different.

TIA!

Re: Generic formulas

• My kid grew up on the BRU generic, they had awesome coupons and they make a GIANT size can.

• We use the Sam's brand with DS and used it with DD as well. All generics tend to be the same. We have used Target, Sam's, and Wal-Mart. All exactly the same.

• Loading the player...
  • Hi,we use the Costco brand. Large canister is $17 and my son does very well with it. I also use their brand of diapers and love them. What was the issue with the Target brand?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

• We used Kroger brand.
  • msdrdgmsdrdg member
    We used Target brand and BJ's brand, no problems here.
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• imageamberdb72:
    Hi,we use the Costco brand. Large canister is 17 and my son does very well with it. I also use their brand of diapers and love them. What was the issue with the Target brand?

She got some bad gas and flat out refused it afterwards even when we mixed a little with her name brand formula. We tried to switch on two separate occasions and it was the exact same both times.

However, she has no issues when we put her on a different name brand so I'm pretty positive it was the formula, not just the transition that gave her the painful gas
  • We switched to Target's version of Similac Advance when LO was maybe 8 months old-- I wish we did it sooner. 

What do you mean when you say "no luck"?

I believe all of the ingredients are the same but the binding agents differ per manufacturer.

Edit-- never mind-- I saw your response.  I think Target makes a version of the Similac Sensitive as well as the regular Advance.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• We used the Sam's Club brand with DD and she did just fine with it. I think it was the sensitive formula, but still much cheaper than the Enfamil we'd been buying.
  • I used Target brand for a short while (DD was primarily breastfed but I pumped once returning to work and had to supplement with formula) - no problems here. She did just fine on it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We used both Target and BJ's generic Enfamil with both kids and had no problems
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We use Kirkland brand from Costco. The generic formulas are generally marketed to be like either Similac or Enfamil since those are the two most popular brands. So, if your baby did well on Similac then he should also do well on the generic formulated like Similac and same for Enfamil. You will have to play around and see what your baby does best with. We've had great success with Kirkland brand with both kids and they were both Similac babies in the beginning.

image image
  • imageegb+jaf:
    imageamberdb72:
    Hi,we use the Costco brand. Large canister is 17 and my son does very well with it. I also use their brand of diapers and love them. What was the issue with the Target brand?
    She got some bad gas and flat out refused it afterwards even when we mixed a little with her name brand formula. We tried to switch on two separate occasions and it was the exact same both times. However, she has no issues when we put her on a different name brand so I'm pretty positive it was the formula, not just the transition that gave her the painful gas

We had that issue with Enfamil. I had some samples and he would not drink it.

imageimage

• imageseahorse102410:
    We used Kroger brand.

This for me, too

~*Married my best friend on October 2, 2010*~ BabyFetus Ticker
  • Generics are nutritionally equivalent but the fillers, while all safe, can and do vary.  So while she may have had issues with one generic, she may tolerate a different one.  Or she may not :)  It's trial and error but you really have to give it at least a couple weeks before you can determine if a formula is going to work or not.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I used Target soy formula and switched to CVS brand (cheaper for me).  They are the exact same, even the canisters are the same, besides the name.
  • We used Target's version of Similac Sensitive with no problems. If I had a good coupon I would get Similac brand and switch between the two with no issues.
    I agree with pp that it is just trial amd error.

• We use the BJ's brand with no issue.  Giant can for 22 bucks.  She was on Similac before we switched.
    photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the replies!! I guess we'll try another one at some point and see how it goes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"