June 2013 Moms

Pets

We have a dog and cat. I feel as if our dog is depressed. Since our son was born, they really bother me. They smell, our cat leaves disgusting "presents" forus on our stoop, etc. I feel terrible because our pets are really nice animals, but are getting on my nerves. Our poor pup can sense that too. Is anyone else experiencing this with their beloved animals?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pets

• I'm just trying to include them as much as possible. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. 1 cat is scared of DD. the other one doesn't care. My beagle gives her kisses and my shiba comes running to her whenever she cries. I also still cuddle them and pet them constantly.

If you show your annoyance they will sense it and leave you kitty treats and show depression.

m/c 2002 7w2d
    bfp 9.6.12 | edd 5.17.13 | m/c 9.19.12 5w5d

bfp 10.18.12 | edd 6/28/13

beta#1 10.18.12 - 96 / progestrone 32 || beta#2 10.22.12 - 711 || beta#3 10.25.12 - 2608 DD born 6/27/13

bfp 7.16.14 | edd 3/27/15

beta#1 7.18.14 - 149 || beta#2 7.21.14 - ??

• Our dog has been vomiting for no reason and feels very left out.  It's really hard right now because it's so hot that we can't even always take him for a walk.  We do try to keep up his routine and pay lots of attention to him but he is definitely feeling kind of down lately. 
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Loading the player...
  • Both my cats seem more curious about the baby and get really alert when she makes noises. I do feel bad for taco she is used to climbing all over me and now has to figure out how to find space around the baby
  • imageatangiblewish:
    I'm just trying to include them as much as possible. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. 1 cat is scared of DD. the other one doesn't care. My beagle gives her kisses and my shiba comes running to her whenever she cries. I also still cuddle them and pet them constantly.

If you show your annoyance they will sense it and leave you kitty treats and show depression.

I want a Shiba!

My dog is extra clingy and kind of depressed since we brought DS home. We are trying to spend extra time with him, the weather isn't helping but we are working on it!
  • For the vomiting, my dog does it too just a nervous tummy. You can give them pepto... my pup is 5 lbs and I give him 12 cc's in a syringe orally, once or twice a day until he calms down usually just 23 doses total will do the trick.
  • Our dog Flower seems a little down too, that or it's just her normal summer time laziness and I'm reading too much into it. She wants to lick the baby all the time but is learning boundaries. I can't take her out as early in the morning as I used to, but we are still letting her play outside a bunch and going for walks. My H runs her to help with energy.
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • Our cat is fine, but our dog is pretty mopey. He's just so used to being included and he is getting left out of some of our normal activities, as DH and I try to figure out juggling two kids.

We do try to make a point to play with him as much as we can and take him out for exercise. My temper is a bit short with him, though, and I feel really bad about it. A lot of it is because im not getting enough sleep, so I'm extra cranky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • AchaeAchae member
    imagemeshly92905:
    Both my cats seem more curious about the baby and get really alert when she makes noises. I do feel bad for taco she is used to climbing all over me and now has to figure out how to find space around the baby

This is my cats too. I have one that will snuggle up to baby, she's such a good mama!
  • This happened to me with our dog after DS was born 2 yrs ago. Everything she did annoyed me and it a always seemed to be interfering with him like she would bark when he was sleeping, need something as soon as I would finally sit down or be underfoot when I was carrying him. This time it's been easier but we're also in the suburbs now as opposed to the city and she has room to run and play outside more
  • imagebaby Gs mommy:
    Our pets feel left out and our dog is sad. I try to pet And spend time as much as possible. Maybe because of hormones they are bugging you? I know my cats getting into stuff really bothers me but didn't before. I'm bling my hormones and hope that's all it is

Yes! I really do think its hormones. I feel terrible about it. Our dog got a bath today, thanks to dh, so I'll be able to pet him now!!! Our dog could care less about the baby. Our cat will rub up on the baby, but that's it.
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    You mentioned your dog seemed depressed. This was definitely the case with one of my two dogs. She was so scared and sad after we brought my son home. However within a couple of weeks, she was feeling much better, and now five weeks later she is back to normal.
  • I've got two cats who love my little guy and he loves them. I haven't had any problems with them and they're both respectful. Gabriel loves the kitten especially because of how soft she is and the fact she's smaller than my other cat.

• rzurbrrzurbr member

We have three dogs and all three have had slightly different responses to little Miss E since we brought her home.  Our oldest male is very protective and follows her wherever we take and have her in the house.  His sister is extremely excitable and its taken almost a week for her to calm down enough to be near the baby and not try to jump on her.  And our third doesn't seem too concerned with the baby at all other than occasionally sniffing and checking on her, but I do worry that he might be feeling slightly neglected since her arrival.

Overall I can't complain about  how well they are  doing considering I was worried for the last trimester about how they would adjust to this major life change. 

Maybe yours just need a little longer to adjust to the new addition still?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"