Working Moms

Pumping at different locations?

A lot career wise is up in the air for me at the moment, but right now it seems likely that when I return to work in a couple weeks I will spend a few days in seminars at different locations. I'm not sure how to best manage pumping. I typically use a Medela double electric, and at my work I have multiple locations in bathrooms and offices. But, for these first couple days I will have orientations and classes, where I will probably get a set break schedule when the classes break for coffee and lunch. Also, these will be a various locations, like other buildings and the local community college.

Would you just take a pump and hope to find a good space? Call your employer and ask for a space? Call the community college? Get a car adapter or something like that? I'm not crazy about that idea, but if it worked for you I'd love to hear more. Or, go with a manual pump in case an electric outlet isn't available?

I would love to hear how you all handle this, especially if you travel for work. The timing might be weird too. Would I be better off taking breaks at different times from everyone else? I really only need about 5 to 10 min with the double electric.

Re: Pumping at different locations?

• Considering this is only for a few days I would probably just plan to pump in your car. Get a battery pack or car adapter. I had a 2 day training course once. I did contact the organizer about a space to pump and they said they could accommodate me, but in the end I just felt more comfortable going to my car. I parked in the back of the lot. I used a nursing cover and sat in the back seat where I have window shades. It was fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the medela double electric and it came with a battery pack.  I'd just use that and not worry about getting the car adapter (did this on a recent trip without LO and pumped on the airplane).  That way you can use the pump where ever (including the car) if you can't find a plug.  If you can, get there a little early to scope the place out to try and find private space as well to pump.  You won't know until you get there, but you may find you can quietly duck out of a class/orientation for 10 minutes if you need to once you feel the "tingling" starting up too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone, it is sounding like the car is the way to go. My pump is an older model and doesn't have a battery pack or car adapter, but I am hoping that I can buy them separately.
  • When I was pumping for DS, I pumped in the car if I was out an about and there wasn't a convenient place. I had jury duty during that time frame and I just was up front when I went in - I'm a nursing mom and I will need to pump - is there a place I can do that privately?  They were able to accommodate me no problem.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yup, I found both the car adapter and battery pack on amazon. That should give me more than enough options that something will work conveniently. Thanks ladies!
  • Sounds like you've got it figured out, but I wanted to add that we hold training sessions all the time where I work, and we have rooms for nursing moms. So, if you felt comfortable asking the venue if they have a room, it might be another option.
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I had this my first mo th back. I notified the conference planner. They sat me at rear and knew I would be late coming back from breaks. We has 10 minute ones am and pm with one hour lunch. At mine they ensured I had a first floor room close for pumping too. 

I also pumped right before it started. Good luck and put your parts in cooler if it makes it quicker for you between pumps.  

• In that situation I would probably just use my car, if it's only for a few days it wouldn't be that bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • I'd call the community college and whatever other buildings you are going to, to ask if they have a room where you can pump. I pumped in my car when I had to, but it is much more of a pain than being in a room.

I went to a training seminar at Johnson Space Center in Houston and just randomly asked the front desk if they had a room I could use. (I was totally expecting to have to pump in my car) They were so accommodating and let me pump in a really nice and clean first aide room with a sink and recliner. :) I've had friends have similar experience with conference centers and hotels. It doesn't hurt to ask! 

DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"