Preemies
Options

When should we stop sterilizing???

As I read a recent post about how often to sterilize I realized not everyone is sterilizing everything after one use. My darling son was born 33 weeks 4 days  and since coming home I sterilized everything, wash everything (sheets,blankies,toys,) once a week, I still ask people to purrel and wash hands when carrying him. Now I'm concerned I've given myself all this extra work......not to mention I'm a Ftm and don't know when you could stop. I kinda just want to behave a little less germophobic. I'm just curious he turns 6 months this week and has not been sick at all. What is the come practice? 

Re: When should we stop sterilizing???

• Options

With DS1 we just hand washed bottles & then ran them through the dishwasher on the sterilizing cycle maybe once a week? Laundry & stuff I would do as usually which is about once a week. His toys I just wipe down with a Clorox wipe occasionally &/or if he's been sick but definitely not on a schedule or anything. I stopped being super strict about the hand sanitizer around 6 months? However, as flu/RSV season rolled back around I started back up with reminding everyone. At that point most everybody just did it out of habit.

Given that your son was just 33 weeks, I think you can probably start letting go of some of those procedures, although it doesn't really sound excessive at all to me. Sounds like you're doing great! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We still ask  people to purrel before holding her. I figure if they just keep the habbit as a carry over from last flu/rsv season it will be old hat and will just continue it through the following season. Once she's gone through 2 seasons, we'll probably lay off the purrel.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. I know its different for everyone. Thank you
  • Options
    We stopped sterilizing bottles when DD1 started putting everything in her mouth that she could reach. I figured there wasn't much point anymore!

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"