Baby Names

"Stealing" family names?

My MIL's cousin has four kids, and three of their names are on our list- Thomas (which we will almost definitely use, it's my grandmother's maiden name and we love it), Charlotte, and Louisa. I don't think it would be THAT big of a deal to use one of the same names, but would it be strange if we used more than one? I'm in love with Louisa if we have a girl, maybe even as a MN.

If it matters, they live in the same city (really close to us, actually), but we don't see them super often, maybe every few months at a grad party or casual family thing. It's not like they'll be running around together at Christmas or anything though. 

Re: "Stealing" family names?

• I think you could get away with using one of the names but I'd side eye using more than one.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It might be weird to use more than one as FNs. Thomas as a FN and Louisa as a MN would probably be OK.

And it would only be weird to use both because they live near by and you see them. I have no idea what my MIL's cousin's kids are named, so I have no idea if I have copied them...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It might be weird to use more than one, but it you love them, you should use them.  Your MIL's cousin is stretching the family connection a bit, in my opinion.  I would hesitate if were a sibling/BIL/SIL that had used the name.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• We considered using one of my MILs cousin's boys names. I think using 3 out of their four children's names is definitely strange. One, totally fine. It's unfortunate because maybe you liked the names before you knew them but it would be odd.
  • I don't think I would use more than one. Louisa is beautiful by the way.
  • imageBootsyLou:
    I think you could get away with using one of the names but I'd side eye using more than one.  

this

O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • imageBlueDot818:
    I agree with PP's you can probably get away with one, but not both as FN's... 

Agreed 

• imageBootsyLou:
    I think you could get away with using one of the names but I'd side eye using more than one.  

This. I also think Thomas and Charlotte are pretty popular, common names, Louisa not as much...so that one may get more of a side eye.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I believe MIL's cousin's kids are far enough away in family terms that I wouldn't even care!

I don't even know my MIL's cousin's kids. Well, wait a minute, my husband knows my mom's cousin's kids and I still don't think it would matter. We see them a 3 times a year and live in the same town! Granted, they are all high school graduates. 

Married to the love of my life since 2005
    TTC #1 - 
    BFP # 1: 5/2006 - m/c @ 6 weeks (natural) / EDD 1/17/2007
    BFP # 2: 7/2007 - chemical pregnancy / EDD 3/18/2008
    BFP # 3: 6/2013 - 7/9 u/s: No hb, measuring 2 weeks behind. Very high HCG#'s 7/21 u/s: No change, ruled out molar pregnancy. Completed Natural Missed M/C 7/26/2013 / EDD 2/5/2014
    TTA with Diaphragm. 
    CFNBC
    I didn't want to kiss you goodbye, that was the trouble; I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there's a lot of difference. - Ernest Hemingway 

Licensed foster family. No current placements. Open to adoption but that is not our goal and as such we don't have dual foster/adopt home study.
    2012-2013: Former Foster Mommy to 1 bubbly little 8 y.o. girl that has moved onto an amazing adoptive home.

• The way you word this is so strange. Your "MIL's cousins" are also your husband's cousins. So why wouldn't you just call them that? And their kids? Also your husband's cousins.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the replies. My thoughts were that one (Thomas or Louisa) would be okay, but not both. Or all three... really don't think I could ever do that. Haha. My H and I joked about it, though. "Hey, cool names... we're going to use them too." Anyway, guess we'll see what happens. I fall in and out of love with names these days so it probably won't matter anyway!

And to PP who said I worded it weird, I don't know, the whole 'first/second cousins' or 'cousin once removed' thing confuses me. The woman is my husband's mom's cousin, so that's what I said. I don't know why it's strange.

• 5555 member

The children would be your husband's second cousins. Their children and your children would be third cousins to one another. 

Evidently, I was supposed to be named Ashley, but a month before I was born, my second cousin Ashley was born. My name became one of the many 1980s variations on "Lindsay." I have never met the Ashley who was born before me and took my name, but apparently my dad liked her mother, his cousin, enough to not step on her toes. 

I'm watching all our friends gobble up the short list of names I've loved forever, so I definitely understand your frustrations. I think if you're not going to spend a ton of time with these people and the kids aren't going to be the same age, you can get by with 1-2 first names and maybe using another as a middle name.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Married since July 2009.
    TTC #1 since May 2014
    BFP #1 August 13, 2014
    EDD: April 22, 2015
    It's a boy!
  • I love Louisa, I don't think it's a big deal but I would probably chicken out and not use that name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"