February 2013 Moms

Vitamins make DD miserable

We tried giving DD vitamins [Poly Vi Sol, first with and then without iron] early on, but they made her miserable and I think even a little constipated [she started pooping less and screamed like she was on fire when she did], so our pediatrician said we should just try again at a later time and see how it goes.

We tried again last week. It hasn't gone well. DD has never gone a day without pooping, but when we started the vitamins, she just stopped altogether. After 3 days of that we stopped the vitamins and about 24 hours later [last night] we did get a smallish poop. And no poop yet today, but she keeps acting like she's straining to poop and it's not happening for her.

I think vitamins are out for us until she's old enough for chewables. Anyone else's LOs have similar issues?

Re: Vitamins make DD miserable

• Formula or bm?  I bf and have never given vitamins.  We do a little Vit D only (Carlsons 1 drop a day on breast or bottle nipple) if we aren't outside without sunscreen.  My kids are still healthy. :)  From what I've read, both formula and bm have all the needed vitamins, including iron. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Have you tried another vi-sol? Like Di-Vi-Sol or Tri-Vi-Sol? We give LO tri-vi-sol. DD hated the taste of poly. Both DD and DS take the Tri much easier. Not sure if that would help with the poop (I would think the iron would have done that).
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Why do you have to give vitamins? I didn't even know that was a thing, 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • I EBF. We gave the vitamins at our pediatrician's recommendation, but he didn't really push the issue, especially since DD seemed to have trouble with them. He's cool like that, I'm sure if I tell him they'll vitamins aren't working out this time around either he won't try to make us keep giving them. I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience.

• If you are breastfeeding and you eat a decent diet, you don't need to give vitamins, with the exception of Vit D in some cases.  https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins/

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD would be soil cranky when I gave her Vitamin D! I told her pedi, she said some babies just can't handle it yet. She also recommended I try a different kind. We are gonna wait on vitamins.

• jbatchjbatch member
    When I tried the vitamins she spit up a lot so my Dr said to wait a month.. I haven't tried again..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Glad I'm not the only one in the boat and my daughter isn't a complete weirdo! And pitterpatter, thank you for the kellymom link! Like I said, I highly doubt our pediatrician will give us a hard time over this, but it'll be nice to have something to reference just in case.

• I EBF and don't any vitamins.  

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"