Baby Names

Boy name- too trendy?

My husband is a literary junkie. We still haven't decided on a name 100% yet, but he threw Holden out there because of Catcher in the Rye.

I was looking at name lists, etc.. and it's definitely on a lot of them, but it's not in the top of the top.

Does it sound too trendy? It's actually an older name but I feel like it kind of fits with the "den" trend going on right now.

If this helps at all- we are thinking Holden Thomas or Holden Benjamin.

Thoughts are appreciated. ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Boy name- too trendy?

• It's not a bad name, and I don't think it's trendy, but people will definitely know it's a CITR reference (well, people who read, anyway.)
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Even though I shy away from the "den"/"aden" trend, I do really like this one. It's not exactly part of the "aden" trend... but it does have that same feel and sound and I do think it gets lumped in with that. That just doesn't bother me, though, because I like it so much (DH didn't).

I've heard people say that the Holden Caulfield reference is a bad one, but it doesn't bother me.

• Loading the player...
  • It's trendy in the fact that it is a random last name for a first name. It's personally nms but I don't see it being incredibly popular and I wouldn't side eye the choice. 

• Not trendy-- and I LOVE it.

Sadly-- my last name sort of sounds like the word "somebody" so together the two names sound like you are saying Holding Somebody.  Not cute.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• imageHelenahhandbasket:

Not trendy-- and I LOVE it.

Sadly-- my last name sort of sounds like the word "somebody" so together the two names sound like you are saying Holding Somebody.  Not cute.

ha! Thanks for the insight, gals. ;)

• Sorry, I don't like it and I do think it is becoming more popular.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I do like Holden Thomas 
  • I like it. I don't think it's trendy. I think the trend is more -aden than -den
  • I love it and I don't think it's trendy.
  • I like the name Holden and do not think its trendy or very popular at the moment. I like Holden Thomas. I do automatically think CITR though.
  • I love Holden Benjamin. Holden is on our list.

J (08/04/07) F (10/28/09) H (07/18/12) #4 (01/02/14)
  • i love Holden but my H vetoed it :( but it's great!
  • I like it! Not sure what nn goes with it though (not that you need a set nn... none of my kids have one, all their nn's have nothing to do with their actual names.)

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• I really like it. I like Holden Benjamin.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Love the name Holden! DH and I were contemplating it for a little, but it doesn't really flow with his last name (I kept my maiden name). I definitely don't think it's too trendy, but it does have a vintage feel, which i think is great. 

December Siggy Challenge: Love Actually

Married DH: April 21 2012 // Expecting our first: Jan 20 2014
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I like it, especially with those middle name choices.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I really like it. I also think it sounds great with both your middle name options! It was on my list but sounds awful with my ln. I don't think it sounds too trendy!
  • ZimgerZimger member

I like Holden...I don't really see it as trendy. I see people mention that they like it but probably wouldn't use it for one reason or another. 

I worry that it could set a child up for teasing. So I do like it but probably wouldn't use it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJoy2611:
    Holden gives off the vibe that the parents want to be appear literary, but couldn't think of a book beyond "Catcher in the Rye."nbsp; I don't want to have that feeling about it, but I do.nbsp; It doesn't come across as learned, it's "I'm trying so hard to show how learned I am but I only read this book in high school."nbsp; Does that make sense?nbsp; I'm sorry!EDIT: I also agree with wondering why you'd want to honor Holden from that book.nbsp; If your husband does love books, he must have a character in mind far more worthy.

I agree with all of this.
  • I do see it as trendy.

And when I mentioned an acquaintance's son named Holden to DH, he couldn't stop making holdin' puns. I don't hate it, but I just don't really get the appeal and I agree that he doesn't seem like the best character to honor.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imageJoy2611:

Holden gives off the vibe that the parents want to be appear literary, but couldn't think of a book beyond "Catcher in the Rye."  I don't want to have that feeling about it, but I do.  It doesn't come across as learned, it's "I'm trying so hard to show how learned I am but I only read this book in high school."  Does that make sense?  I'm sorry!

EDIT: I also agree with wondering why you'd want to honor Holden from that book.  If your husband does love books, he must have a character in mind far more worthy.

Well, I certainly would choose Holden over Heathcliff or Beowulf.  (I mean, if we are talking literary characters). 

I like it though. I know of one and he's the cutest kid ever and really sweet. Obviously nothing like a possible namesake.

• I love literary names, but Holden, much like Atticus, is one of the more obvious ones and, thus, more likely to become popular. If the name holds a special meaning for you, it makes sense to go with it, but if there's another lesser used literary name that would be more unique, I'd consider it too.
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageJoy2611:
    imageherecomesthesun:

Well, I certainly would choose Holden over Heathcliff or Beowulf.  (I mean, if we are talking literary characters). 

I'm not sure I understand your point.  There are whole libraries full of books.  It's not like these are the only three literary choices.

I meant that you could do a whole lot worse than Holden if you're going to go literary.

• imageEstwd2:
    imagebrooksidebride:

I've heard people say that the Holden Caulfield reference is a bad one, but it doesn't bother me.

Yeah, I'm one of these people. Holden Caulfield was a major d-bag IMO, so I just don't get naming a child after him. The name itself is perfectly fine. It's just honoring the character that I have a hard time understanding. 

Me too. I love Salinger and think he has many other more admirable characters to name after. He made Holden a lost, selfish, angsty kid for a reason.

Suggestions:
    Teddy
    Lionel
    Waker
    Walt
    Zachary
    Web aka Buddy

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board