Parenting

Age for first eye exam?

DH is more concerned about this than I am TBH. But LO will sometimes squint, I see it as part of her facial expressions... like if she's curious about something or trying to understand something, shemay scrunch her face. Which will include squinting. I told DH that but he's like "its also a sign of struggling to see.."

The other thing she does, is sometimes she blinks hard. I think it may be more of a nervous thing? But not sure. Could also be dry eyes. DH and I both have dry eyes. We both needed glasses in middle school.

WDYT? When are first eye exams normally done? What signs should I look for of poor vision in my 2 yr old?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Age for first eye exam?

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I think most are done at the kindergarten screening!  If you are concerned take her in however, before wasting your time talk with them about their charts.  If your LO knows her letters than no big deal, otherwise I had a friend of mine who took her LO to the doctor young and the chart was pictures- like a corded phone, typewritter, etc. things her toddler had no clue what they were!  hahaha
  • DS had a febrile seizure at 4 months and the neurologist recommended regular eye exams starting at 6 months. DS is 2.5 and he has been twice.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Loading the player...
  • ppantsppants member
    Our eye dr did a complimentary exam @ 3.5 yrs old.  We starting going every year after that.  They both have reading glasses they were prescribed before beginning K.  I figured DS might need glasses because he would complain about headaches. I was surprised DD needed them.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • My pedi did a test for ds at 12 months and 15 months. We ended up at the pedi ophthalmologist because ds is near sighted and far sighted with astigmatism in both eyes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also meant to say that DS1s last eye exam was completely normal and he also squints.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• I've been taking my son in every 6 months since he was 6 months, but I used to work for our optometrist so she does a free exam when we go to visit. I don't think I'd otherwise do it until 3 unless I saw major problems, like squinting all the time, holding books really close, avoiding activities like coloring, puzzles, stickers, anything that causes to her focus up close, or if it seems like she has trouble seeing things far away, like airplanes, squirrels in trees, birds, etc.

I believe that first eye exams, really basic chart exams, are done at well checks starting at 4 or 5. But we saw lots of kids that were much older with horrible vision that wasn't caught until late in elementary school, usually by a teacher or school sponsored eye exams.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 6 mos, 3 years, 5 years and every year after that. If you are concerned make an appt with a pediatric opthamologist. You do not need a referrel. DD2 had an appt at 3 years because she failed the Lion's Club vision screening at the school district's 3 yo screening so we made an appt otherwise we would have waited until she was 5 since she had no symptoms of eye strain (which was foolish on our part since DH has had glasses since he was 4). I am so happy we had her seen because we learned that she is farsighted and has a severe astigmatism. She now wears glasses and is doing fabulous with them. We have the indestructible Miraflex frames. I am so glad we caught it early, but wish we would have caught it even sooner. In hindsight I wonder if her poor eyesight explains her slight speech delay and gross motor delay when she was 12mos old because not seeing can hinder their development. I feel bad about the fact that until now, her world was blurry. The earlier you catch it, the better. Some kids' vision can improve with glasses to the point of not needing them when they get older if you intervene early enough. 

ETA: The exam that they do at the pediatricians office where they read pictures off a chart is not thorough enough and can miss problems, that is why it is best to see a PO for a full exam. They dilate the eyes and are able to look in them to see any abnormalities. Which is necessary especially for young children who can't tell you that they are having trouble seeing because they don't know the difference. The appt is very long and exhausting-usually lasts 2.5-3 hours, but is worth it. Bring snacks and entertainment-but our office gives the kids animal crackers and has toys, movies, books etc in the waiting room but it's hard on the kiddos since they can't really see after their eyes are dilated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lrn327lrn327 member
    DS's had one but only because he had tear duct surgery.  Post-surgery, the eye doc said we don't have to come back until age 5 so I assumed that was the normal time frame?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here they recommend 6 months, 2/3 years, pre-kindergarten and every year following.  The 6 month one isn't so much for vision but rather to check for certain eye diseases that can affect vision later on.  Our family doctor only checks the eyes, not the vision itself.  I take the girls to an actual optometrist for anything eye related.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"