August 2013 Moms

Clueless like "Rachel"

Remember that Friends episode where Rachel has her baby shower and is a complete and total mess?!?  

That is me.

I am so humbled by the amount of gifts I got at my shower yesterday. I just spent 2 hours sitting on the nursery floor going through everything. I went through every emotion possible and now I feel as though a massive anxiety attack is inevitable. 

I have been so calm up until now. Not so much anymore!!  

Do babies really need this much stuff?!?  LOL.

Breathe....

Sorry about the vent post. It was needed. Smile  

Re: Clueless like "Rachel"

• Lol. You'll be fine.

And no, babies don't usually need half the stuff we buy for them. Most of it is just over marketed so we think we need it.
  • That is awesome that your shower went so well!!

I was thinking yesterday that I was given so many NB/0-3 clothes I don't know how she will ever wear them, but then I also remembered babies usually go through a couple of changes a day and at some point I will be relieved that I have them all. This was of course after I fought the urge to get rid of a bunch of it.  I tend to over purge my own closet and I'm having the same urges with hers.

photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• Loading the player...
  • I totally get how you're feeling! After I got home from my first shower and looked at everything and the pack n play that was assembled, I went into panic mode and cried hysterically. I thought about Rachel then too!!! ;D
  • No. They don't need that much stuff!
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • thats awesome that you received so much and so grateful. Babies really do not "need" much but most stuff makes life more convenient. With my DD it was really overwhelming coming home and looking at all that stuff and honestly a lot was barely used if at all. I also had a ton of clothes that were never worn. Its nice to know they are so loved already.  
  • imagehenderson1026:

That is awesome that your shower went so well!!

I was thinking yesterday that I was given so many NB/0-3 clothes I don't know how she will ever wear them, but then I also remembered babies usually go through a couple of changes a day and at some point I will be relieved that I have them all. This was of course after I fought the urge to get rid of a bunch of it.  I tend to over purge my own closet and I'm having the same urges with hers.

Yes I was surprised by the amount of clothing I received!  Just about to start washing it all. Haha. Good thing it's small clothing. Should only be one load of laundry!

I am team green so I have been trying to hold off buying a ton of clothes until after baby is born.  Then it's go time!! 

• Haha you sound just like me! Our shower was two weeks ago and mostly everything is still sitting in the living room because it's all so overwhelming!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • imageRowcate:
    thats awesome that you received so much and so grateful. Babies really do not "need" much but most stuff makes life more convenient. With my DD it was really overwhelming coming home and looking at all that stuff and honestly a lot was barely used if at all. I also had a ton of clothes that were never worn. Its nice to know they are so loved already.  

I was so humbled by the whole experience and so unbelievably grateful. It was a small shower with the dearest ladies in my life and I was truly blown away with how much they spoiled me and my LO.

• imagelindsey61811:
    Haha you sound just like me! Our shower was two weeks ago and mostly everything is still sitting in the living room because it's all so overwhelming!

Haha. I had to move it to the nursery!  It was stressing me out in my living room. LOL.  

• I felt the exact same way. I was so blessed and grateful but I just looked at the mound of baby items and did not know where to begin . I had my work shower and my family shower within two days of each other. So for about a week everything sat in the formal dining room.
  • RK125RK125 member
    imagekwhite27:

imagelindsey61811:
    Haha you sound just like me! Our shower was two weeks ago and mostly everything is still sitting in the living room because it's all so overwhelming!

Haha. I had to move it to the nursery!  It was stressing me out in my living room. LOL.  

Ditto to both! I'm working on getting stuff out my living rom, but the nursery's not set up yet so most stuff doesn't have a home. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I did the same thing after both showers!  And then after getting the nursery together I worried that I didn't have enough stuff because I have way more storage than I have things to store...which is not a common occurrence in our house!  I figure as long as they're clothed and fed we'll be OK.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I finally took the time last week to put all of our shower stuff away!

Part of my motivation became that SD was coming the weekend and I wanted her room to be as uncluttered as possible. DD and SD will be sharing a room/nursery. 

• imagelindsey61811:

Me too! It's too overwhelming to think about. I'm having my mom come help me sort it all. I'm not washing all the newborn clothing so I can exchange of needed or just wash it later. He has lots of newborn stuff already washed.. And he's probably gonna be a chunk! :]
  • Aw! My husband and I felt the same way after our shower. So glad your friends and family were so generous :)

We actually waited to start organization/storage until this last weekend (almost a month later) because I was feeling so overwhelmed by it all. As we went through boxes and bags on Saturday shipped to us and gifted at the shower we tossed the trash down the stairs and yelled "baby landfill!" SO much stuff and so much trash/packaging left us asking the same question - do we need all of this!?! 

But once you get it all unpacked and put it away it won't feel so overwhelming :) 

• It is completely overwhelming! And like most posters said, babies really don't need all that stuff but I'll admit I felt more "prepared" having lots of baby things. Overwhelmed but like I was more ready when LO does come. 

And look on the bright side, having a nursery to put it all in and out of view helps the overwhelmed feeling. Right now we are living in my parents guest house that is like one big room and a bAthroom and I live in and look at the mounds of bab stuff all day. I'm so grateful but feeling claustrophobic  

• I know what you mean. I'm running out of places to put it all lol!
  • If I ever freak like Rachel, and ask my mother to never leave me, someone slap me. Hard. Haha!!

• I love a good Friends reference, I have actually used a few during this pregnancy and DH just shakes his head, but it's a great way to help explain what I'm feeling when I can't quite find the words. I'm sure I'm going to have a Rachel moment after my shower this weekend.
  • imageELauren88:
    If I ever freak like Rachel, and ask my mother to never leave me, someone slap me. Hard. Haha!!

I'd be black and blue if I got slapped anytime that thought ran through my head! All I want right now is my mom's help organizing and cleaning and walking me through all this. I hate living so far from my parents. Luckily, she is coming to stay when the baby is born for as long as I need her!

I love the Friends baby shower episode! I love all the episodes actually.

"Did I say garage? I meant 'gar-bage'". I die :) 

• I totally understand the feeling! Being overwhelmed by the stuff and for me being overwhelmed by people's support , especially those in my family who are on a tight budget! I am so glad that you seemed to have had a nice shower !!

image imageimage 

September Siggy Challenge : Favorite Childhood Movies ( Sorry I have two)

• imageBelhurstBride:
    No. They don't need that much stuff!

Exactly. In about a year you'll realize half the crap you registered and received you didn't really need. As a STM I find myself chuckling at the things FTMS ask for. But I was once there as well!

It's all part of the FTM process. We all do it!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"