Breastfeeding

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog.

I'd like to try something a little different for these check-ins. I was thinking we could do a few more or less regular weekly questions along with one QOTW. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any other suggestions for these check-ins. It doesn't have to be the same every week!

1. How old is your LO?

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? Are you avoiding any other foods?

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

4. Were you MSPI as a baby? Do you know anyone else IRL dealing with MSPI?

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? :)

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

• Hmm, I'm having trouble with getting the link to the blog to work in this post today. Anyone more savvy than me have any suggestions? I don't know why it's not working, I usually just cut and paste the last weeks check-in and it's fine.

For anyone that wants to check out the blog, it's www.mspimoms.blogspot.com.

edit: LOL when I just typed it into this reply it made itself into a link and works fine. I have no idea what's going on. :P

• My lo is 5 months old and I've been dairy/soy free for 3 months, gluten, corn, egg and tree nut free for just shy of 2 months. At the recommendation of our ped allergist and nutritionst/lactation consultant, I am going to trial soy, as dairy, almonds, coconut milk and citrus are our only true fails thus far. I'm so nervous....wish me luck!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagerocknrollfriend:

1. How old is your LO?  8 months

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? Are you avoiding any other foods?  Around 4 months, just dairy

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? It has been a struggle, but its gotten better.  I still have a few times had dairy, but I'm doing better.  It's gotten better now that I have an ice cream maker and can make coconut milk ice cream.  She seems to be doing good.  I haven't noticed anything obvious when accidentally eating dairy.

4. Were you MSPI as a baby? Do you know anyone else IRL dealing with MSPI? No

5. Anything else you'd like to share today?  Nothing that I can think of.

Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • 1. How old is your LO?

15 mo

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? Are you avoiding any other foods?

Dairy free for... holy moly, it's been over 1 yr. Soy-free for about a year. Also avoiding eggs, peanuts, wheat, coconut milk, and cabbage. (He reacts almost as severely to cabbage as he does to dairy!)

I'm doing pretty good, obviously I've been doing this long enough to get the hang of it! DS is doing great.

No and no. My pedi says a lot of the babies in her practice are though. It seems to be becoming more common. I also wonder if it's just more awareness, though.

DS had his 15 mo check-up on Friday and the pedi gave the go-ahead to try giving him the foods I've been avoiding. She said just to take it slowly and let her know if he has any reactions. I am just really nervous, since he is doing so well, and I don't want to put him in pain again. He seems to have a sensitive gut still, because he'll get diaper rash and a rash on his face when I give him new foods that don't agree with him (chickpeas, citrus, bell pepper, possibly carageenan). So I'm afraid he still hasn't outgrown the MSPI. But I also am sending less milk to DC because my supply is decreasing, and I don't want him to be malnourished because I'm still avoiding all these foods for no reason. DH ran out and bought some yogurt right away, but we haven't given it to him yet. I think he is more excited about leaving this diet behind us, and I'm not sure if he really gets my nervousness. Sorry this is so long but it is weighing on me right now! Thanks for reading, if you did. ;)

• imagestephaniejfree:
    My lo is 5 months old and I've been dairy/soy free for 3 months, gluten, corn, egg and tree nut free for just shy of 2 months. At the recommendation of our ped allergist and nutritionst/lactation consultant, I am going to trial soy, as dairy, almonds, coconut milk and citrus are our only true fails thus far. I'm so nervous....wish me luck!

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes.
  • 1. How old is your LO? 5.5 months
    2. How long have you been dairy and/or soyfree? Are you avoiding any other foods?
    Since DD was about 1.5 months
    3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? She is doing much better, we did a trial of soy about a month ago and she was able to tolerate it well. I do still notice she gets a rash even with hidden dairy I have accidentally had it a few times
    4. Were you MSPI as a baby? Do you know anyone else IRL dealing with MSPI? I was MSPI as a baby, something my mom forgot and even made fun of me for thinking my DD had an issue with dairy. That's was until she remembered I was on some special formula which she remembered was called nutramigen go figure!
    I do have a close friend who has a LO a month younger than DD who is diary/soy free it's helpful to know someone else for sure!
    5. Anything else you'd like to share today? :
    I think we are on the verge of some teeth popping through! Yikes! I can't believe how quickly she is growing up!

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• 1. How old is your LO?

**10.5 months  

**since she was about 6-8 weeks, it took me a bit to go completely dairy and soy free. Not avoiding anything else  

** I am doing well. We started to challenge her system little by little at 8 months, then at 9 months we went on a sporadic trip to Italy where I consumed dairy (there is no way around it) and she did ok. Eczema and gassy but not as bad of a reaction as before. So we still eat mspi friendly at home I dont stress as much about hidden dairy or soy when were out, which makes me much happier. 

** I was not but my sister has many sensitivities and has four children and two of the four were sensitive to dairy. I also have a mom in my meet up group that had to do an elimination diet and cut dairy, soy and gluten. 

** I have been thinking of the whole weaning process a lot lately and I feel like my head is spinning. I want to start to introduce almond and coconut milk to my LO in her sippy just to get her use to it but I am really worried about actually weaning and her getting enough nutrients (although shes a wonderful solids eater). I was thinking of goats milk since its suppose to be closest to BM but I am nervous about trying it with her. If any one has gone through it or has any suggestions I am all ears. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1. How old is your LO? 18 months

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? Are you avoiding any other foods? 16 months, eggs

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? We are both fine.

4. Were you MSPI as a baby? Do you know anyone else IRL dealing with MSPI? I was not MSPI. My nephew was intolerant of soy until 10 months and dairy until he was 12 months.

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? :) We are trialing dairy very slowly (giving it straight to DS while I remain on the diet). We are starting with milk baked into things then if all goes well we will move to melted cheese. We gave him half of an English muffin yesterday and today (it has milk in it). I'm so nervous. Yesterday he was in a rotten mood often screaming and crying but Idk if it was the dairy or the heat bc then today he was more himself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Same for me rocknrollfriend! I hope it goes well for your DS! You are off way more foods than I am - I give you a ton of credit!

imagerocknrollfriend:

DS had his 15 mo check-up on Friday and the pedi gave the go-ahead to try giving him the foods I've been avoiding. She said just to take it slowly and let her know if he has any reactions. I am just really nervous, since he is doing so well, and I don't want to put him in pain again. He seems to have a sensitive gut still, because he'll get diaper rash and a rash on his face when I give him new foods that don't agree with him (chickpeas, citrus, bell pepper, possibly carageenan). So I'm afraid he still hasn't outgrown the MSPI. But I also am sending less milk to DC because my supply is decreasing, and I don't want him to be malnourished because I'm still avoiding all these foods for no reason. DH ran out and bought some yogurt right away, but we haven't given it to him yet. I think he is more excited about leaving this diet behind us, and I'm not sure if he really gets my nervousness. Sorry this is so long but it is weighing on me right now! Thanks for reading, if you did. ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLoveLo2010:
    5. Anything else you'd like to share today? : I have been thinking of the whole weaning process a lot lately and I feel like my head is spinning. I want to start to introduce almond and coconut milk to my LO in her sippy just to get her use to it but I am really worried about actually weaning and her getting enough nutrients although shes a wonderful solids eater. I was thinking of goats milk since its suppose to be closest to BM but I am nervous about trying it with her. If any one has gone through it or has any suggestions I am all ears.nbsp;

I asked our pedi about goat milk last week, and she said it lacks some of the nutrients found in cow milk, so she doesn't recommend it. I would imagine it's better than nothing, though. I asked for some feedback from our MSPI mamas awhile back and I think the majority said their LOs reacted to it the same as to cow milk.
  • 1. He's 4 months

2. Since the end of May, so a little over a month. So far I'm not avoiding anything else other than GMO when I can

3. I am having a lot of trouble getting all my calories in. Like, a lot of trouble, and my supply keeps dipping. I feel like all I do is prepare food, eat and pee (DS is still on me for all naps. oh em gee). DS is getting fussy and is doing his 4 month wakeful thing. It's a little stressful around here, but I'm sure we'll figure it out. 

4. I have no idea if I was. And I don't know anyone who has dealt with this before. It's not the worst, but as I mentioned above, getting in calories is tough.  

5. I really miss cheese. lol 

ETA - I feel like a troll for the way I answered #3. Just wanted to throw that out there, lol 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRunaway22:

1. He's 4 months

2. Since the end of May, so a little over a month. So far I'm not avoiding anything else other than GMO when I can

3. I am having a lot of trouble getting all my calories in. Like, a lot of trouble, and my supply keeps dipping. I feel like all I do is prepare food, eat and pee (DS is still head for all naps. oh em gee). DS is getting fussy and is doing his 4 month wakeful thing. It's a little stressful around here, but I'm sure we'll figure it out. 

4. I have no idea if I was. And I don't know anyone who has dealt with this before. It's not the worst, but as I mentioned above, getting in calories is tough.  

5. I really miss cheese. lol 

ETA - I feel like a troll for the way I answered #3. Just wanted to throw that out there, lol 

Haha, I don't think you sound like a troll, you sound like me! Preparing food is like a full-time job for me. And it's very stressful on top of not sleeping well. Hang in there!

• imagemrscjmb9410:

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? :)  DS is allergic to raspberries! :( We thought he might be, due to a weird rash he had a few months ago...but it has been confirmed by two more incidents with raspberries (one on purpose and one toddler mischief!). Also our GP wants us to do an allergy scratch test for DS after 18mos if he is still not tolerating dairy/soy. I am ambivalent about this.

Boo! Our pedi brought up an allergist visit if things don't improve by his 18 mo check up too. I'm hoping we don't have to go that route - I think what's been getting me through this loooong haul is the belief that it's temporary!!

Thanks for your words of encouragement, it really means a lot to hear from other mamas going through the same thing. I let you all know how it goes.

• imagebrideinsummer04:

Same for me rocknrollfriend! I hope it goes well for your DS! You are off way more foods than I am - I give you a ton of credit!

imagerocknrollfriend:

Thank you! You have been in this for a long time too! I hope the trial goes well for you guys. Keep us posted!

• imagerocknrollfriend:
    imageRunaway22:

Haha, I don't think you sound like a troll, you sound like me! Preparing food is like a full-time job for me. And it's very stressful on top of not sleeping well. Hang in there!

Aww, thanks! I appreciate the encouragement. I'm amazed at how much time I spend in the kitchen lately, haha. Cheddar Bunnies and Clif Bars were my nursing mom staple foods until the painful, green poops showed up. Those were the days... Wink

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLoveLo2010:
    5. I asked our pedi about goat milk last week, and she said it lacks some of the nutrients found in cow milk, so she doesn't recommend it. I would imagine it's better than nothing, though. I asked for some feedback from our MSPI mamas awhile back and I think the majority said their LOs reacted to it the same as to cow milk.

shoot...I shouldve figured.

I have been trying to research a lot and I think I will end up with a mix of coconut milk and almond milk for all the right nutrients and fat content. After writing my post I broke down and gave her a sippy with some almond milk in it with her dinner just to see what she would do and she made some crazy faces but kept drinking it haha so we will see. 

imageRunaway22:

3. I am having a lot of trouble getting all my calories in. Like, a lot of trouble, and my supply keeps dipping. I feel like all I do is prepare food, eat and pee (DS is still on me for all naps. oh em gee). DS is getting fussy and is doing his 4 month wakeful thing. It's a little stressful around here, but I'm sure we'll figure it out. 

oh man I know that feeling. I kept having to say to myself....this too shall pass...annnnndd it did! haha but I found for myself it was best to make a huge effort to always have either left overs that were easy to re heat, or snacks that we safe around so that I kept my calories up to keep my supply up. I ate lots of veggies and hummus, tuna or turkey sandwiches, pb&j, salad with left over protein from dinner the night before, toast and eggs for breakfast and bananas ,grapes and nuts like almonds for snacks. It takes some hunting at the store but you can find lots of crackers and pop corn and crunchy items that are safe to satisfy that crunch factor. I have to agree with you though I SUPER miss cheese, and there really is NO substitute. :) Hang in there mama your doing great! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1. How old is your LO?

8 months

Took us a while... she was 5 months old by the time we figured this whole thing out... ugh. (She has several GI issues, so her symptoms weren't exactly typical).  Just avoiding dairy and soy for me.  So far, DD cannot have bananas, sweet potato, avocado, oatmeal, or rice cereal (she has FPIES).

I am doing well, the first month was a tough transition, but now I know how cautious I need to be with prepared/processed foods. DD is doing great.  No issues with growth or development.  Happy little thing Smile

No I was not.  I have a friend IRL with a 2 year old who is just now avoiding dairy/soy.  

rocknrollfriend, I posted a thread for you earlier, but I will just ask you here.  What did you do for finger foods for your LO?  Just cut up veggies/fruit?

DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • imageKittery16:

rocknrollfriend, I posted a thread for you earlier, but I will just ask you here.nbsp; What did you do for finger foods for your LO?nbsp; Just cut up veggies/fruit?

Sorry, I didn't see that. Yes he gets small peices of steamed or roasted veggies and fruits, pasta [we do quinoa and brown rice pasta], chunks of cooked ground beef or turkey [now he gets small peices of roasted chicken too], corn Chex, Happy Munchies rice crackers, peas and corn, beans, sticky rice [tho that's kinda messy], homemade muffins... That's all I can think of for now. HTH!
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member

1. How old is your LO? 9 months

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? Are you avoiding any other foods? about 8 months now...although I started adding in some hidden dairy (things like crackers & bread) about a week ago and so far he seems to be doing fine.

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? I'm doing great.  It's nice to be able to eat bread at a restaurant and not worry about whether it has dairy in it.  LO is also doing awesome. He's finally starting to like eating "table food" solids better than purees which makes life much easier for me.  (I've been making the purees from scratch.)

4. Were you MSPI as a baby? Do you know anyone else IRL dealing with MSPI? Yes I was. Although back then they just called it "colic" rather than offically diagnosing it.  My mom just realized that if she didn't drink milk I was a much happier baby.  There's a couple moms at my work who use the Mother's Room to pump that had MSPI babies who have since outgrown MSPI.

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? :)Last night DS bit me like 4 times.  He's nipped me before, but usually accidentally.  This time it seemed more like he was doing it out of either boredom or frustration that he didnt' want to be nursing.  I'm a little worried that it means he's starting the self-weaning process.  I hope not because I'm really not ready to be done. Sad

image imageimageimage

• =Lee=B=Lee=B member

My daughter is 4months.  I've been dairy free for about 8weeks.  I eat soy protein still but not overt soy.  I don't think I need to avoid it at this point as she improved so much since I stopped milk.

We are doing ok.  My daughter improved hugely, yeaaaa. I live near a Jewish Synagogue so my local grocery store has a huge section (4 aisles) of all kosher foods.  Kosher foods are all clearly marked whether or not they have milk so that makes things really easy.  They also have the fake everything. Fake cream cheese, sour cream etc.  I'm starting to try them (not as good but decent).

I was not MSPI.

• imageCLLDLL:

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? :)Last night DS bit me like 4 times.  He's nipped me before, but usually accidentally.  This time it seemed more like he was doing it out of either boredom or frustration that he didnt' want to be nursing.  I'm a little worried that it means he's starting the self-weaning process.  I hope not because I'm really not ready to be done. Sad

Ouch, that sucks. My DS seems to bite on purpose when he's teething - could it be that? From what I understand it's pretty rare for babies to self-wean before 1 yr. He could also just be ready to go to sleep on his own - were you trying to nurse him to sleep? At 9 mo they also are going through some major developmental leaps, so they'd rather be crawling or pulling up or something than nursing. It's probably just a phase! :)

• 1. How old is your LO? 10 weeks

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? Are you avoiding any other foods? 6 weeks mostly dairy free. No nuts, broccoli, cucumbers and fried foods

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? It's hard! Dairy is in everything! Found Earth Balance as a sub for butter, but haven't tried a milk sub that isn't nut based. LO is gaining weight like crazy (8weeks he was 14lb) and the lack of dairy has improved his gas BUT every dirty diaper has mucus! I can't figure out what else I can do. (Pedi said if he's gaining weight and not uncomfortable it;s not that big of deal) I've wanted to selfishly give up BFing, but know that's not in the LO's best interest, I am hanging tough

4. Were you MSPI as a baby? Do you know anyone else IRL dealing with MSPI? I was FF and no dairy intolerance, but MIL is.

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? Bfing is hard! Anytime he's struggling, it's automatically my fault, I must focus on the positive...

TTC since 5/1/12
    Mc 7/10/12 @ 5w2d
    BFP 8/11/12 EDD 4/16/13 DH's Bday!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    imageCLLDLL:

Ouch, that sucks. My DS seems to bite on purpose when he's teething - could it be that? From what I understand it's pretty rare for babies to self-wean before 1 yr. He could also just be ready to go to sleep on his own - were you trying to nurse him to sleep? At 9 mo they also are going through some major developmental leaps, so they'd rather be crawling or pulling up or something than nursing. It's probably just a phase! :)

I wasn't nursing him to sleep, but I bet you're right he most likely did it because he was wanting to crawl or do something else.  He's gotten two teeth, learned to army crawl, and is starting to pull up all in the last 10 days!

image imageimageimage

• CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    MrsJRob said:

1. How old is your LO? 10 weeks

2. How long have you been dairy and/or soy-free? Are you avoiding any other foods? 6 weeks mostly dairy free. No nuts, broccoli, cucumbers and fried foods

3. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? It's hard! Dairy is in everything! Found Earth Balance as a sub for butter, but haven't tried a milk sub that isn't nut based. LO is gaining weight like crazy (8weeks he was 14lb) and the lack of dairy has improved his gas BUT every dirty diaper has mucus! I can't figure out what else I can do. (Pedi said if he's gaining weight and not uncomfortable it;s not that big of deal) I've wanted to selfishly give up BFing, but know that's not in the LO's best interest, I am hanging tough

4. Were you MSPI as a baby? Do you know anyone else IRL dealing with MSPI? I was FF and no dairy intolerance, but MIL is.

5. Anything else you'd like to share today? Bfing is hard! Anytime he's struggling, it's automatically my fault, I must focus on the positive...

Rice Dream milk isn't too bad.  I get the unsweetened to use for cooking and the sweetened for drinking plain and using in cereal.  I also like coconut milk a lot, but not sure if you can have that or not. 

You're right about BF'ing being hard, but keep it up mama!  You're doing great.  And I promise the dairy free thing gets easier the longer you're at it.  6 weeks was about the low point for me (that was around Christmas time) after that I kind of got in my groove and started figuring out things that I like and also ways to make things that I missed the most dairy free. 

image imageimageimage

• 1. How old is your LO?
    Now dairy & soy free for baby #2, started when I was 30 weeks pregnant and DS2 will be 4 weeks on Friday.

I was dairy & soy free for 10 or 11 months for #1 and then had about 3 months back and now I've been back to dairy & soy free since April '13, so 3 months.
    Just all dairy, soy & hidden dairy & soy. (Vegetable oil = soybean!)

I'm hungry lol. LO is doing great though. The difference between him and his brother is remarkable. Definitely worth it.

I have no idea. My mom FF & I was 3 of 4. She wouldn't remember that.
    Many of my friends have cut out dairy and seen great improvements in their child's life.

5. Anything else you'd like to share today?
    I'm liking the bump updates. Makes for easier mobile bumping.
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"