June 2013 Moms

EPing check in

I'm hoping I'm not stepping on any toes by posting this!!! I think it's a great idea to have a EPing check in to be supportive of each other during this difficult task!
How old is your LO?
Why did you choose EPing?
What is your goal, time wise, to EP?
Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: EPing check in

• My LO is almost 2 weeks.
    I am EPing because we had a difficult time latching and it was hard to take 2 hours to try to breast feed when you have a 3 year old who wants to play with you. We decided it was best for our family to bottle feed and I really wanted LO to get breast milk. So here we are.
    My goal is 12 months but I'm taking it month by month.
    So far, my supply is pretty good. I just feel like I'm attached to my pump. I don't want my supply to go away so even though I have a healthy supply I'm pumping every 2 or 3 hours. Even at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BbtjBbtj member
    My LO will be 4 weeks on Wednesday. I am EP because she would not latch and when she did I had extreme nipple trauma... Ouch! She is drinking 3 oz every 3 hours, so I pump everytime she eats. So far so good, but I am hoping I can keep it up when i go back to work in August. My goal is exclusive breast milk until atleast 6 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi!

My son is going to be 1 week tomorrow.

I decided to ep because I have a 2 year old and I felt that I could better manage the two of them if I bottle feed. I ep for my 2 year old for 16 months so I know that I could do it for this one too. My first son has a high palate and it made nursing hard. I nursed this son while in the hospital but started to pump 2 days post partum.

I am currently getting 4 ounces every 3 hours and my son is drinking 3 ounces every 3 hours. He was 9 lbs 4 oz at birth so he likes to eat!

I hope to ep until my milk dries out like it did with my son. I never had a supply issue so I hope that's the case this time around as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How old is your LO? 7 weeks, 2 weeks adjusted

Why did you choose EPing? LO wouldn't latch as a preemie. Now she has definite flow preference and prefers the bottle

What is your goal, time wise, to EP? Hopefully we can get her BF soon but who knows. If not, at least 6 months, preferably a year but that seems rather daunting...

Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far? Good days and bad. It's hard carrying around the pump and working that into the schedule. I've had several bouts of awful plugged ducts because the pump is less efficient and then I wonder if its really worth it.
  • How old is your LO? 2 weeks
    Why did you choose EPing? LO wouldn't' latch on good and my nipples hurt to much.
    What is your goal, time wise, to EP? 6 months!
    Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far? It's going okay, I had an oversupply so I cut down on pumping but now I have an under supply. I am supplementing with formula at night. I'm doing bad at night and not pumping(I know I should) but I'm just to tired at night to do it and I have enough supply to feed him breastmilk during the day and I'm happy with that for now. with two older kids it's hard to pump, feed and do things with them too. 

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• How old is your LO?  2wks 2days
    Why did you choose EPing? Shallow nipples with difficult latch and I want DS to have breastmilk (same as DD had)
    What is your goal, time wise, to EP? 9months-1yr (I EP'd for DD for 6mo and wish I had continued for the full year with her)
    Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far? It is not too bad right now because my supply is pretty good (7-8oz per pump) which means I can start a freezer stash early
  • How old is your LO? Six weeks tomorrow!
    Why did you choose EPing? It sort of chose us but I know it's what's best for our family.
    What is your goal, time wise, to EP? I go back to work at 18 weeks and I'm hoping I can keep it up until then because I think it will actually be easier to find time to pump when I'm not responsible for a newborn.  If I make it that far then I want to go for six months and reevaluate as I go.
    Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far? I'm not technically an "exclusive" pumper because we give some formula.  Sometimes I get down on myself if I make less that day or have to push back a pumping session but I started eating oatmeal and it seems to be helping.  This weekend I got a little engorged when we went out with friends but it seems to be getting better now.
  • How old is your LO? 4 weeks today
    Why did you choose EPing? We had serious latch issues and if I tried to BF any longer, I was going to remove my nipples from my body with my bare hands.. because that would've hurt less.
    What is your goal, time wise, to EP? The answer to this changes daily. 6 months would be awesome.. but we will see.
    Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far?  Truthfully I hate pumping. I want my body back. I hate being attached to the pump. Can't be gone for too long, because my boobs will explode. My other kids need something? Well, when I'm done feeding the baby, I have to spend x amount of time pumping. And, I've reached the point that I flat out refuse to pump in the middle of the night. I'm too tired. I actually fell asleep pumping once at like 3am, and my nipple too a while to recover. So, I wake up huge and hurting because my boobs are so full. Wow, I'm a huge whiner. Lol. We will see how long I can suck it up for!
  • How old is your LO? 5 weeks today. Wow

Why did you choose EPing? X was in the NICU for a week and unable to be held or breastfed. He got to use to the faster flow from the bottle and refuses to latch now.

What is your goal, time wise, to EP? Baby steps! First goal was a month. CHECK! Next goal is 3 months when I go back to work. Hopefully 6 months or more though, just don't want to think that way because it seems so far.

Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far? Was good at first, then VERY time consuming and I was being lazy. Back to being on top of it and getting into a routine. Read up on it lots and I feel more confident now. I already have a freezer stash of about 200 ounces which is a great start.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageIlovebeingamom:
    I'm hoping I'm not stepping on any toes by posting this!!! I think it's a great idea to have a EPing check in to be supportive of each other during this difficult task! How old is your LO? Why did you choose EPing? What is your goal, time wise, to EP? Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far?

Ellie will be 5 weeks old tomorrow! I can't believe it!

I am EPing because she has a heart condition. We were cleared by the cardiologist to breastfeed but nursing makes her extremely tired because she has to work so hard.

My goal is to get her through her surgery and recovery, so at least 4 months, maybe 6, depending on when the schedule surgery (anytime from October to December).

I can't decide if I am having a hard time or not. It is kind of annoying having to schedule everything around my pumping schedule. Pumping is so different from nursing. You can't just whip a boob out and start pumping anywhere like you can with nursing. I've also been having issues with my left side, but I think I might have had issues with that side anyway.  

Eleanor Carter-Lynn born 6.4.13, 17 days early, natural birth
    Tetraolgy of Fallot discovered 6.5.13, Open Heart Surgery 10.7.13

(I never see Siggys... I'm always on moblie)
    Ps- My iphone make me sound dumb sometimes... 
  • How old is your LO?  3 weeks
    Why did you choose EPing?  Latching issues and I want to try to give him breast milk as long as possible
    What is your goal, time wise, to EP? Goal #1 is one month. Goal #2 is until I go back to work at 12 weeks
    Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far?  My supply has been great, but I absolutely hate feeling tied to the pump and it takes so long to feed LO, then pump, then clean up, and start all over again.  I just ordered a car adapter, so maybe that will help a bit.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • jefkjefk member

How old is your LO?

DD is 3 weeks 3 days old.

Why did you choose EPing?

I have flat nipples and DD had a hard time latching, even with the nipple shield.  I also have a forceful letdown, and DD would choke, cough, and spit up during our BFing sessions.  It was stressful for me and she wasn't eating enough (I'd have to pump after BFing and bottle-feed anyway), so EPing works better for us.

What is your goal, time wise to EP?

I really didn't have a goal when I started EPing - I figured I'd go as long as I could.  Ideally, I'd love to go for a year.  Realistically, I'd like to make it tso December, which would be six months.  I go back to work at the end of October, so we'll see how that goes.

Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far?

Overall it's going well.  I'm pumping between 25-30 oz daily and building up a small fridge stash (don't want to start freezing until later this summer).  I did have a major fail last weekend, though.  We went to my parents house for a BBQ on Friday night and we stayed overnight (they only live an hour away but we knew we'd be there late and drinking).  I pumped before we left our house and brought a 5-oz bottle with me, so DD had one bottle.  I guess I wasn't drinking enough water, because as I pumped every couple hours throughout the evening, I got barely 8 oz total over seven hours (normally I pump 5-8 oz each session).  I was freaking out that DD wouldn't have enough to eat and seriously considered sending DH out to pick up formula.  Luckily we made it through the night, but lesson learned - never travel without breastmilk for formula!

•  Thanks for doing this!!

How old is your LO? 2 weeks 1 day!
    Why did you choose EPing? I have to go back to work doing child care in two weeks. Little guy stays with me but he was taking forever to nurse and would come off still searching for food. I decided it was easier for my family and job to pump. I still nurse 1-2 times a day, but only because it soothes him. 
    What is your goal, time wise, to EP? As long as we can. 
    Are you having a hard time with it or is it going pretty smoothly so far? It's been smooth for the most part. I already feel married to my pump. :) 
  • How old is your little one?   7 weeks, 2 weeks adjusted

Why did you choose EP?  Not just EP as we breast feed 2-3 times a day but I still pump after each breast feeding.  Since he was oremie and in the nicu for 9 days we had feeding problems.  Hoping to get breast feeding going better sometime, but want him to get breast milk

Whay is your goal?   At least 6 months of breast milk.  Would at least like to just breast feed a few times a day without dealing with the pumping afterwards

The breast feeding part has been hard and I kind of dread all the pumping 

~~~TTC #1 since Dec 2011, BFP 5/3 CP 5/6~~~
    ~~~BFP 10/9/12, EDD 6/17/13~~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD is 13 days old.
    I decided to EP because I didn't want to BF, but I didn't want to waste the milk that I knew I would produce I made a lot of milk with my other two.
    It's going well. I had a bout of mastitis that I am on antibiotic for, but it's getting better. Other than that, no issues and my supply is still doing good.
    My goal for now is probably a month. I have a lot of milk stored in the freezer already, so if I can keep it up for a few more weeks, I will probably have enough to feed her for a bit after I quit pumping. I dried up on my own when DD1 was a month old, so I'm just assuming I won't last much longer than that this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"