Stay at Home Moms

S/O talking names

Some of you have said that you've picked family names for your LOs, but what if there isn't a family name you're in love with? Or if you simply aren't a fan of your LO having the same name as several realtives do?  (we seriously have at least 2 people in both our families with the same name for almost all names, not crazy about having our kids be the 3rd or 4th one)  Do you pick names from baby name books or websites?

I'm stuck and can't find any names I like for either boy or girl  :(  I like unique (but not youneek) names that aren't overly used, as evidenced by my kids' names, and it'd be nice if they're able to be pronounced easily in Spanish as well. Sooo, if you happen to know/like any names feel free to toss them at me! My version of name-my-baby, SAHM board style  ;)  

Re: S/O talking names

• I love the names in my family tree, My dd's name is the family several generations and they were all established, very educated women. 
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • I don't like using family names. My DH is a junior, and I felt very strongly that DS should not be the third.  Maybe if he had a nice name, but even DH does not like his name.  With DD, we excluded several names because family members already had those names.  I should say that our families are not very close, and it would create a lot of drama if we chose a name from one side of the family over the other. 

For DS, we went each went through the 1,000 most popular names, highlighted the ones we liked, and compared the lists. For DD, we worked backwards from a nickname we liked.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We use family names but for the middle name only. We have a lot of overly common names in our family like Michael and David which I didn't want to use as a first name. 

I poked around the ssa baby name site for inspiration. I looked to the top 1000 name list and started in the 200s. I also looked up lists which were popular in the 30s. It's a good way for name inspiration if you want to avoid common names.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • caybehcaybeh member

We didn't use family names for DS. My H didn't really want to use family names. I like unique names, but my H wasn't so crazy about them. We looked online mostly at Biblical names. We compromised on Eli for DS, which is unique, but growing in popularity, I think.

I don't know how easy some of the Biblical names are to pronounce in Spanish though! :) 

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• DS has a family name, but DD doesn't.

Some suggestions:
    Amara, Marisol, Karina, Carmen, Paloma, Talia, Luna, Graciela, Celia, Veronica, Jordana, Micaela, Giselle, Elka

Marco, Felix, Jaime, Oscar, Eduardo, Elias, Victor, Simon, Cristian, Javier, Lorenzo, Fabian, Sebastian

• Same here with repeat names.  My dad and nephew have the same name, DH, his dad, his uncle and his grandfather all have the same name.  He has uncles and cousins on both sides with the same names.

We picked unique first names that we love and then used the middle name as the family name.  DS2's middle name is the same as my new cousin's first name.  DS1's middle name is the same as his cousin's middle name, my cousin's first name and my grandfather's name. 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I don't like naming my kids after family members (I believe everyone must be free to be their own personality/not live under the shadow of anyone else) so we just picked names be both liked

We were looking forn names that would be pronounced the same way in Italian and spanish and that would be easy in pretty much any western culture language, so after looking on several baby name books and websites we found the ones we loved: Leonardo and Sabrina (that would work in your case, too) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imageHav=Fath:
    What's your LO's name? 
    Currently no name, and I have about 5 weeks to pick one for each. It was way easier with my other kids, this time not so much  :/
  • imageSpin313:
    DS has a family name, but DD doesn't.

Some suggestions:
    Amara, Marisol, Karina, Carmen, Paloma, Talia, Luna, Graciela, Celia, Veronica, Jordana, Micaela, Giselle, Elka

Marco, Felix, Jaime, Oscar, Eduardo, Elias, Victor, Simon, Cristian, Javier, Lorenzo, Fabian, Sebastian

This one caught my eye, definitely going on my list  :)

I'll have to look into those sites today, I need all of the ideas I can get. 5 weeks isn't very much time!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"