December 2010 Moms
Options

Oh. My. Goodness....

Evan and i went blueberry picking this morning and after we were done we went into the bakery at the orchard for a donut as a treat. There was a Hispanic couple sitting at the table next to us and they were being really sweet to E...waving to him, etc.

Evan turns to me and says quite loudly, "look mom! It's Dora and Diego". If they heard they pretended not to, but holy embarrassing batman!

Re: Oh. My. Goodness....

• Options

I won't tell you what my Grandpa (think hillbilly hick redneck) called African Americans when my mom was little- but she had a little AA baby doll- and he called it this name.  So when she was 3ish and on a shopping trip with my grandma- she pointed out a AA couple and said "Look Mommy a ..."

That was horrible.

• Options
    Oh no.  What do you do in that situation?? "I'm so sorry, my son hasn't seen very many Hispanic people?"  There's nothing you can say that won't make it even more awkward. lol  
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haha, I find this hilarious! We live on the border so something like 95 percent of our town is Mexican. If John decided to say that, there'd probably be a throw down!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

OMG lol!

Its not as bad but one time while grocery shopping, the cashier had like this crazy pimple cold sore thing going on by her mouth.  Griff kept staring at it and then he finally pointed at it and said "mommy, girl has boo boo on mouth!"  I'm sure the lady heard but pretended not to. 

• Options
    imagehalo:
    Oh no. nbsp;What do you do in that situation?? "I'm so sorry, my son hasn't seen very many Hispanic people?" nbsp;There's nothing you can say that won't make it even more awkward. lol nbsp;

I know! Luckily the couple pretended not to hear and I made sure i corrected E loudly enough so they could hear. We didn't hang out too long.
  • Options
    lrn327lrn327 member
    imagexxbabycakesxx:

OMG lol!

Its not as bad but one time while grocery shopping, the cashier had like this crazy pimple cold sore thing going on by her mouth.  Griff kept staring at it and then he finally pointed at it and said "mommy, girl has boo boo on mouth!"  I'm sure the lady heard but pretended not to. 

At 32 I still unfortunately have the occasional (thankfully rare now) pimple. C always points out my "boo boo", tries to poke it, and reminds me it was there loooong after it's gone.  Thanks Buddy!

OP, yikes!  Similar things will happen to us all though at some point.  When C was an infant, I was waiting for the elevator at DC with one of the owners and his 2 yr old son.  A parent who happened to be overweight came out of the elevator and the owner's son loudly pointed and said "he's a fat man!".  Our DC owner was mortified of course.  The guy was good about it and said "well I am a portly guy!" but still, I know it hurt.

I guess in this situation, maybe you could have said "E, I know these nice people must remind you of your friends on your favorite show because they're so kind.  Let's introduce ourselves and find out their names."  Idk, I'd be inclined to want to crawl in a hole myself but maybe it's better to nicely confront it?  I hope this doesn't happen to me but it will!!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lrn327lrn327 member

imagekeags5496:
    imagehalo:
    Oh no. nbsp;What do you do in that situation?? "I'm so sorry, my son hasn't seen very many Hispanic people?" nbsp;There's nothing you can say that won't make it even more awkward. lol nbsp;
    I know! Luckily the couple pretended not to hear and I made sure i corrected E loudly enough so they could hear. We didn't hang out too long.

Don't worry then!  Hopefully they understood, knowing that you made sure to correct him. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ha!!!  Too funny!  I think most people don't take anything a 2 yr old says very seriously. :) 

My niece was about 2 when I took her to Walmart one day.  She was on a kick of identifying men vs woman.  There was this really unattractive woman that she pointed to and yelled loudly, "That's not a man!"   My DH grew up in a town of maybe three black families.  He said when he was little they went to eat and large family or group of black people came in and he said loudly, "Look Mom, there's a whole herd of them!"  OMG  He said his mother was horrified.  Knowing her, their family is not at all racist either, so she probably wanted to crawl under the table. :)  Nate asked loudly about a wheelchair yesterday at SAMS, complete with pointing. The lady stopped to talk to him. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That is hilarious!! Embarrassing, yes, but completely hilarious!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    That is hilarious!

At Xmas time, we were in a home improvement store, and when G saw a very heavy woman walking down the aisle, she pointed and said loudly Look momma, there's Santa! I was mortified.

• Options
    Oh man, LOL...kids really do say the darndest things :)
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options

J did this on Halloween.  We were on the porch at our friends house and a little Hispanic girl with pigtails came up to trick or treat and he pointed and yelled Dora!  I was able to just say "no buddy, she's a butterfly"  (she had wings that I'm sure the shoulder straps looked like a backpack too)  Crazy thing is we have never watched Dora.  Luckily the parents were down by the street and I don't think they heard.  We live in a pretty mixed area so it's not like she looked different than friends he has at school but something made him yell that. 

image   image

• Options

imageCarlaBrett:
    That is hilarious!! Embarrassing, yes, but completely hilarious!

Ditto!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    For a while T referred to everyone as 'that man' as in 'what that man doing?'. Others obviously dodn't know this so of it was a less than feminine woman I was felt embarrassed.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

These stories have me laughing! Kids are too funny.

We live in an area with a big Asian population, but there's this one little Asian girl we play with at the park sometimes. I swear, every time Griffin sees an Asian girl, he will say, "look mommy there's xxx (the girls name)!" And the girl will look absolutely nothing like that little girl, aside from the fact that she is Asian. I don't know if the person realizes this is why, but it's so embarrassing. 

• Options
    kj07kj07 member

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can post in this thread.

First, many months ago, he went through a phase where he called every man, "Daddy."  That was fun when he pointed at strange men in the store and shouted, "Daddy!"

Then, a few weekends ago we were sitting outside Starbucks enjoying a bagel and coffee/water.   A heavy-set man walked down the sidewalk with a pronounced limp.  B said, "That man do this," and he swayed from side to side while he held his arms away from his side (think like a body builder who can't pull his arms close into his body).  As the man was getting closer to us, B said, "Why that man doing this?" and repeated the motion.  I muttered something along the lines of "everyone walks their own way." Aparently that didn't satisfy B and he then said, "That man waddle like a penguin Mommy."  "Waddle waddle waddle waddle," while he rocked back and forth.  I so wished the sidewalk would just swallow me up just then.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"