Success after IF

Question about NT scan and statement by SIL

When you were pregnant, did your doctor offer you an NT scan?

I was having a debate with a girl the other day and she tells me that most women don't have an ultrasound until they are 20 weeks.  I thought I remembered in my BMB that it seemed like most of the ladies were at least offered an NT scan. I know most of us on here had numerous ones before 20 weeks, but we probably aren't "typical."

On a different topic, I asked my SIL (who is a nurse practitioner) about this and somehow the conversation turns to her telling me how she has seen a lot of patients who did not even know they were pregnant until after 20 weeks. What?!?!!!  Who the heck doesn't know they are pregnant until they are past 20 weeks? She conceded that there was usually some amount of denial involved in these situations, but still...I thought this only happened on ridiculous TLC shows...

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Question about NT scan and statement by SIL

• I think NT scans are more common in IVF and other ART pregnancies and over 35 pregnancies which are represented in higher numbers on this board. My current insurance only covered my NT scan because I'm 35. And I had to specifically ask for it. They did not just offer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    My RE offered it and recommended I do it. I graduated to my OB at 11 weeks and she recommended that I didn't do it. I did it anyway. But I guess if OBs are advising against it, a lot of "normal" moms don't do it.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the NT scan- but I had a lot of u/s thru my pregnancy (at least one every 2-3 weeks).  I don't think that the NT scan is something that is offered to everyone- since lets face it the availability is really driven by insurance and the guidelines that they use for payment.  It is not a cheap test- so I think that if insurance paid for it as a standard test- like the anatomy scan- many many more would have one.

• I was not offered a NT scan with my first pregnancy because I was only 34.  At the time my doc was only offering them to those 35 and up.  I was, however, given an ultrasound at 8 weeks to look for viability.   I'm not sure if the age is dropping for the NT scan though as lately I have been hearing of more and more women having them done and some of them are only 30. 

I think with things like this, it all depends upon the doctor.  I know of many women who didn't even have their first OB visit until they were 12 weeks pregnant, which to me is just ridiculous.  I know my sister, who had her babies in her 20s, only got an anatomy scan around 18 weeks and that's it. 

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Maybe it does depend on the doctor. I just thought I remembered debate about whether to do the NT scan or not and it seemed like most were at least given the option...now whether insurance paid or not and whether their OB "recommended" it, I don't know.  But I thought most were at least told about it.  I mentioned it to someone who had a baby about 6-7 years ago and they didn't even seem to even know what an NT scan was which made me wonder when the NT scan started becoming more prevalent...of course, memories fade, too.

• With DS I had 1 US at 8 weeks and 1 at 20 weeks and I was not offered an NT scan since I was under 35 and not a high risk pregnancy...according to my dr. Although after my 20 week US they told me the baby's head was big and had a "spot" on his heart which could mean Down's syndrome! At that time I wish I had been offered an NT. Personally I think it should be standard.

My mother in law didnt know until she was about 20 weeks either. She had really irregular periods to begin with. So it wasn't until she started to "show" that she realized something was up. Sounds crazy but I can understand it up to around that time, but anything after seems crazy because most women have a huge belly.
    image DS 7.6.2011 TTC#2
  • ccamccam member

It must depend on your Dr because my OB's office has more people that do the NT scan than not, no matter what your age/history.  I was probably one of the very few of the women I know who did not get the NT scan.

ETA:  I even want to say I had to sign something saying I wasn't having the scan.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• It is common practice where I started as an OB patient. I had to sign a bunch of stuff to decline. They were very, very pushy. My only uncommon factor was ART. 
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• We declined the NT scan, but my OB always does a dating/ confirmation ultrasound between 8 and 10 weeks. I always assumed that was pretty standard. Considering I had 20 or more ultrasounds, I can't even imagine only having one!!

On the other topic, it does happen more than you think. Not a lot, but it does happen. I was the social worker on a post partum unit and was called for every case of late prenatal care. More often than not, it was a woman with irregular cycles and multiple stressors in her life. The other life issues served as a distraction from suspicious symptoms and weight gain. Several of the women also had intellectual disabilities that prevented them from spotting the symptoms. I even had a few women who took negative pregnancy tests. So crazy.
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• My OB offered me an NT scan when i was pregnant with DS. When I asked about the test she said they offer it to all the patients. It had nothing to do with IVF and I wasn't AMA when I was pregnant with DS. I also had one with the twins but I was AMA by then. Around here it is standard to offer a NT scan. I'm not sure if it has to di with the fact that we have great health insurance in MA.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • imageDragonfly1226:
    My OB offered me an NT scan when i was pregnant with DS. When I asked about the test she said they offer it to all the patients. It had nothing to do with IVF and I wasn't AMA when I was pregnant with DS. I also had one with the twins but I was AMA by then. Around here it is standard to offer a NT scan. I'm not sure if it has to di with the fact that we have great health insurance in MA.

That is sort of what I thought.  I think my receptionist even had one and she was young, had an "oops" pregnancy and was on Medicaid.

• I declined the NT scan with both my pregnancies but I did have a dating U/S with both pregnancies because the due dates from the RE were different than LMP due dates.

I think midwife practices usually only do a 20wk u/s.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • laura1laura1 member

imageDragonfly1226:
    My OB offered me an NT scan when i was pregnant with DS. When I asked about the test she said they offer it to all the patients. It had nothing to do with IVF and I wasn't AMA when I was pregnant with DS. I also had one with the twins but I was AMA by then. Around here it is standard to offer a NT scan. I'm not sure if it has to di with the fact that we have great health insurance in MA.

Ditto this.  I was offered all sorts of things during my pregnancies, and I was only AMA for #3.  I could have had CVS, Amnio, NT scan, etc.  With #3, the MaterniT21 test had just come out and I could have had that too...but only if I didn't do the NT with the blood tests around the same time.  I did the NT and blood tests.  If I could have, I would have done the MaterniT21 too!   I am all about the testing Wink

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was 26 when I was pregnant with my first, 27 (28 when delivered) with my second and now 29 with my third and my OB never even asked me if I wanted to have the NT scan done, he just put in the order and told me to schedule it sometime before I was 13.5 weeks!  I never really knew it even had anything to do with age.  Of all of my good friends (mostly between the ages of 28 to 30 years old) I don't know a single person who hasn't had the scan done other than one friend who just opted not to do it.  Maybe it is more standard now?    

This time around I did have to choose between the NT scan and the Materni21 test, but that was only because my insurance was crappy at the time and wouldn't pay for both tests to be done.

*My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

• imageSaraevh:

I was 26 when I was pregnant with my first, 27 (28 when delivered) with my second and now 29 with my third and my OB never even asked me if I wanted to have the NT scan done, he just put in the order and told me to schedule it sometime before I was 13.5 weeks!  I never really knew it even had anything to do with age.  Of all of my good friends (mostly between the ages of 28 to 30 years old) I don't know a single person who hasn't had the scan done other than one friend who just opted not to do it.  Maybe it is more standard now?    

This time around I did have to choose between the NT scan and the Materni21 test, but that was only because my insurance was crappy at the time and wouldn't pay for both tests to be done.

The bolded is the same for me. My pregnancy with DS was not from ART as we conceived on a break cycle so I don't believe that played a factor. I was also only 31 at that time so I wasn't AMA either. I actually didn't realize that some women didn't have it done until one of my friends had no clue what I was talking about when I told her about mine.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"