Parenting

Too old for a crib?

DS1 is 2.5 and still very happy in his crib. I don't think it has ever occurred to him that he could get out. He's 33lbs and the crib goes to 45.

Is there any reason I should switch him to a toddler bed? My parents think he should be in one "just cause". Other people make comments about him being too old.

Is there a reason I should switch him that I'm not thinking about? Am I crippling his independence or emotional development somehow? Or do I just leave him be and tell all the haters to hate on....

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

Re: Too old for a crib?

• If Rosie didnt climb out of hers she would still be in a crib.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD is still in her crib.  She just topped 33.5 lbs.  I guess I need to check my crib's weight limits.  I can't imagine it's an issue though since it converts to a toddler bed.  Anyway, I don't plan to switch her until after we move.  I think as long as they aren't too big physically for the crib or trying to climb out and in danger of falling, do what's working for both of you.  
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Loading the player...
  • Keep that crib as log as you can! We had to uncage the hellion and it has lead to more 3am cosleeping arrangements than I'd like to admit.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• imageManateearmz:
    Keep that crib as log as you can! We had to uncage the hellion and it has lead to more 3am cosleeping arrangements than I'd like to admit.

This is why I'm so hesitant! I just got my 7 month old out of our bed. Mama needs some space!

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....

• ppantsppants member
    I kept my twins who shared a room in cribs until they were 3.  All hell broke loose when they could get out of bed, run around, wrestle, etc.  I'd say keep the crib as long as possible.  :)
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • I just looked up mine.  No weight limit because it's a convertible, but there's a height limit probably due to the ability to climb out :/  She doesn't even attempt to climb though.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • imagemamaREB29:
    imageManateearmz:
    Keep that crib as log as you can! We had to uncage the hellion and it has lead to more 3am cosleeping arrangements than I'd like to admit.
    This is why I'm so hesitant! I just got my 7 month old out of our bed. Mama needs some space!

Her favorite pillow? Oh, that would be my face.

Her blanket of choice? Whatever one is currently being used by me.

How she wakes up in the middle of the night to come get her from her room? Screaming "Mommy up" at the top of her lungs with no prior warning. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• imageManateearmz:

Her favorite pillow? Oh, that would be my face.

Her blanket of choice? Whatever one is currently being used by me.

How she wakes up in the middle of the night to come get her from her room? Screaming "Mommy up" at the top of her lungs with no prior warning. 

this post terrifies me. I hope he stays in his crib forever.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....

• imagecmeon_the_water:
    If it's working for you, the only reason I can think of to switch to a bed is independent nighttime potty trips. Mine still wake us up for that, though if you're lucky enough to end up with one that goes on their own, I'd make it as easy as possible. ;
    lol we are also far from potty training. My poor innocent boy believes the potty is "evil" and will suck him in.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....

• My DS is over 2.5 and is still in the crib. I'd like to keep him in that until 6th or 7th grade.
    "To me, you are perfect."

• Quinn is 33 lbs and absolutely loves her crib. She will be two on the 22nd and honestly while she's happy there I'm leaving her there. No sense in struggling through a transition she isn't ready for.
  • I'm always the oddball out but I don't like the idea of kids over two in cribs. Id be far too nervous they'd take a header trying to get out-both of my kids were monkeys and into climbing though i see where you might take the risk with a kid who is not into climbing that much.My dd moved to a bed around 25 months. She's an early riser and she hangs out and plays in her room for 60-90 minutes in the morning before she needs me for food. It's much better than her complaining at 5am. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, there's generally height limits along with weight limits. I always see people saying that the kid never tried to climb out...but I don't think they're going to give you advanced warning before they attempt it. Lol.
  • We're almost 2.5, and he's still in it and still happy. I'm having legit anxiety attacks about him in a bed and being up and down all night, bc he already gets up 2-3 times a night and squawks for about 5-10 minutes. Also, he doesn't nap, but will stay in his crib for 2 hours with some books. We need to do the switch at some point, though, because baby sister is coming:/ Anyone have any good stories about switching???
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We transitioned because he was able to climb out and we were moving, so I wanted to just do all the changes at once. Honestly, our life has been easier since we transitioned. He likes the independence, enjoys going to bed, and plays in his room in the morning until I'm ready to come get him, which gives me extra sleep. It's been fantastic. So, not all transitions are horrible. Smile But there's also no reason for you to do it if he's happy in his crib.

• We got a lot of pressure to take DD out of a crib at 2.5 and it was a NIGHTMARE. After a week we put her back in the crib. She slept there perfectly until she was 3y2m, then we transitioned her to a bed so smoothly.

DS is 2.5 and is still in his crib. I figure if it isn't broke, don't fix it. We'll move him at 3-ish (or sooner if he's trying to get out). DH grew up in a foreign country and reminds me often that he slept in a crib until he was 4. 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • We kept DD1 in a crib until she was a bit over 3 yo, skipped the toddler bed, and went right to a normal bed with rail.  We timed the transition to a move, so she got a "new bedroom" with a "big girl bed".  Of course, she never tried to jump out, and never hit weight or height limits, so YMMV.

But in general, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  

• My kids were not content to stay in a crib. They were climbing out before 2. And a crib mattress is so small. They were in regular size beds after the crib.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • We moved dd to a toddler bed "just cause", she never climbed out if her crib before. I think the pro of that is that she never knew she could escape from her bed so it hasn't occurred to her to get out if her bed on her own still. Every morning, I go in there, and she's just sitting on the edge of the bed.

Not sure if other kids would react the same though.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• lrn327lrn327 member
    My son is a bit older than your's and is still in the crib.  He's been fully daytime PTd too for a few months and occasionally has a nighttime accident (still wears a pull-up to bed), but if he wakes up and has to pee, he just calls for me.  If he was in a toddler bed, he'd do exactly the same thing as there is no way in heck he'd get up by himself in the middle of the night to go without me.  So, unless he randomly decides to climb out, we'll stay for a while.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We moved DD to a bed a couple weeks ago at about 2y3m old 'just cause'. But I don't think you have to.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Well.. I wouldn't want to just wait to see when LO decides to climb out if I were you. My LO decided to climb out when she was 1.5 and it scared the crap out of me! She was fine. But still, what if? I'm glad she didn't get hurt.

She moved to the toddler bed without problems. No waking up, no falling out, no change in sleeping patterns.

I say once you know they're tall enough to swing that little leg over and climb out if they so please to do so one day.. then yeah, they're too old. But apparently I'm the minority in that opinion here.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We are truthfully no where near switching. Ideally this summer, I want to try to take away the paci and work on potty training while I am home. I think 3 transitions would be way to hard for her.

She isn't a climber in any event--doesn't even like to climb ladders on the playground equipment. Her chair/couch is as far as she will attempt to go. 

My daughter is my hero.
  • My 2.5 year old is in a crib.  I hope to keep her there until she is 3.  With DS, we waited until he was 3 and then made a big celebration out of it.  He got new sheets/comforter for his new bed for his birthday, etc
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DD turned 3 the end of May and is happy as a clam in her crib. She has never tried to climb out. At this point even if she did she wouldn't fall that hard. she has been in  her crib a couple of times lately where she won't nap but she will not climb out. She is still in a sleep sack as well at night (but never during nap). I'm keeping her contained for a while longer. I think DH feels like she should move into a regular bed soon for no particular reason especially now that both her BFFs (and us parents are really good friends as well and so we got to admire their bedrooms) are in regular beds. 

DD has been PT for a year including night time. In the beginning she would usually wake up once to go pee and she really needed my help still anyway. Now it is rare that she needs to pee in the middle of the night and if she does I go help her (that way she pees in the dark and goes back to sleep quickly). So I don't think it is all that important to move out of the crib when they night time PT.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"