December 2012 Moms

Recommend your convertible car seat

DD's days in her infant seat are numbered.  I don't need the most expensive or cheapest seat out there.  Just something comfortable and safe.  I plan to keep her rear facing for two years.  Recommendations?

Re: Recommend your convertible car seat

• I love my Maxi Cosi Pria 70! My son used to scream in his infant seat (Chicco Keyfit 30) and he would get all sweaty.. he hasn't sweat once in the Maxi Cosi! And he hardly cries in there either :) It's super soft and comfy. I had a bit of trouble tightening the latch but I'm hoping it gets easier each time I take it out.

The only downfall is that my Chicco Keyfit doesn't fit next to it when the Maxi Cosi is in the middle seat. I watch a little girl who has a Chicco so I need to find a slimmer convertible for my car and switch the Maxi Cosi to my husbands. 

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member

imageJandACoffee:
    We got one of the Diono Radian R120s on fabric close-out from justkidsstore.com. We weren't planning on getting one cause they are usually so expensive but at almost $100 off for such a good seat it was worth the money since we plan on having more kids (its a really slim car seat so it is great in my narrow car). We don't have it in yet for DD (she is still only about 16 lbs and still fits pretty well in her Graco 30), but we did use it for a week when my 4-yr-old niece was staying with us a couple weeks ago and it worked great and she was comfortable.  You can rear-face in it up to 45 lbs so beyond where most people would want to (my niece at 4 is only about 35 lbs...) and has a steel frame which makes me feel better about it than her Graco one which is pretty much all plastic. It just feels a lot sturdier.

We have those (they were called Sunshine Radians when we bought them), just wanted to say we LOVE them!  Felt very safe and when our kids became toddlers I loved that the bottom was more flat vs. angled upwards so it was more comfortable and easier for them to climb into.  The only thing I didn't care too much for was during rear facing, it took up a lot more room- however, I'm 5'1 so having the passenger seat forward wasn't a big deal.  We also rear faced for 2+ years. 

• Evenflo Symphony 65. DS(4.5) sits in it forward facing next to DD in her Chicco Key Fit 30. We will be buying DD a Evenflo Symphony 65 once she outgrows her Chicco. We actually have 3 now - one for my car, one for DH's car, and one for my mom's car. We initially had one and it was NBD to move it from car to car - it's actually pretty easy, but DS spends a lot of time in all 3 of our cars, and it happened too many times that one of us would forget to leave the seat.

The Evenflo is very easy to adjust, the latches are easy to take on/off the anchors yet are very secure, there's a cup holder that folds down and detaches - I love that it detaches because if it gets a drink spilled on it I can just throw it in the dishwasher. Also, it retails for around $190, and I always buy it from BBB or BRU and use a 20% off coupon. 

• Britax Pavilion. Fits really well in the middle seat. Can recline both seats in the front all the way. DH is 6'7" so that was important. It fits well and will fit up to 70lbs. So far so good. 

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageaelhunt:
    Britax Pavilion. Fits really well in the middle seat. Can recline both seats in the front all the way. DH is 6'7" so that was important. It fits well and will fit up to 70lbs. So far so good.nbsp;

This is what we ordered, but haven't put them in yet. I'm glad to hear that it's fitting we'll though. We're both fairly tall, so still being to put the seats back is important.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• We went with the Radian Diono 120 as well. DD road in it for about a week and likes it but I switched back to her bucket for now cause she still fits and she is still falling asleep in the car. If you have other kids/car seats or others riding in the back fairly often, this car seat definitely saves space. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a 2 roundabouts and 2 marathons . I love Britax
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If your LO is bigger than 30 percent for height britax is not recommended. They have very short shells and rarely get babies to 2 let alone past for rearfacing. The aap recommends 2 as the minimum to ff, the nhsta says 4. All seats must pass the same tests, the tests are a pass or fail. There are no other standardized testing, even if x seat says its passed side impact. They could have hit the side with a hammer and said it passed. The important thing is for the seat to fit your car properly, be installed properly, used correctly, not using after market products, fits child properly, and us within your budget.
    That being said, I did have a britax with DS he outgrew rfing at 23m. I'm not falling into the britax cleaver marketing trap this time. They are fabulous seats, but they will not last you long. Their seats that go from ff to high back booster are top contenders because those last.
    I plan on getting dd one of the graco clones size4me, mysize, headwise, they have the highest rearfacing limit on the market, or a diono. I'm considering the diono because its narrow and will allow for bracing in a car that also allows it.
    If you join car seats for the Littles on fb and post with baby's stats, car, budget, and onsie size, the techs can point you to an appropriate seat.

imageimageimage
  • Love the Chicco Nextfit. Also have the Graco MyRide harder to tighten when installing but has been great otherwise.
  • I am a car seat nerd and RF till 4 if I can. I have 3 Diono Radian RXTs and a Clek Foonf. Obviously the Foonf is out for most people. It's an amazingly well engineered seat that has so many wonderful features abd was made to ERF, but it's 500 dollars not on sale. For a more reasonably priced seat I prefer the Diono Radian. Hence why we have 3. They are amazing seats.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagediscobelle:

We have two Britax Marathons for our older son and have been really happy with them.  I hope to move the new baby into one this week.

Ditto this.

Our youngest has been in a Combi Zeus 360 convertible seat for a month or so now.  It's the seat we had that was PERFECT for our Honda Element.  But we've since traded that car in and I plan to switch to using the Marathon for our youngest soon (so both our kids will be in Marathons).  That seat is awesome.  So easy to install, comfortable...I LOVE them.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I disagree with PP about Britax and height.  My 22 month old has a long time to go in his Marathon and he's over 100% for height.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageStefandTodd:
    I disagree with PP about Britax and height.nbsp; My 22 month old has a long time to go in his Marathon and he's over 100 for height.

It's not my opinion, they really have one of the shortest shells on the market. Maybe your DS is mainly tall in his legs? I'm not saying they're bad, but every carseat expert says what did. I'm just repeating them.

imageimageimage
  • imageStefandTodd:
    I disagree with PP about Britax and height.nbsp; My 22 month old has a long time to go in his Marathon and he's over 100 for height.

It doesn't matter if YOU disagree. Itsca fact that Britax has not caught up with todays RF standards. Kids grow out of them too soon and is not the car seat to get if you want to RF till or past 2. My son is all torso and wouldnt last till 2 in a marathon.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jac409jac409 member
    Great info!  Thanks ladies!  This definitely gives me something to go on.  I am as lost when it comes to looking at convertible seats as I was choosing an infant seat.  
  • We have these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Infant-Seat-Archive/dp/B006ZISRQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373307330&sr=8-1&keywords=eddie+bauer+convertible+car+seat

https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-True-Plaid-Gray/dp/B00A8EZOKE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1552CTG6L3OIV&coliid=I10XZJ7VJJVPBS

I really love both of them.  We needed two different seats because my car is significantly smaller than DH's, and so the True Fit came recommended from a friend as a seat that fits great in little cars (I have a toyota yaris).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageNana_Osaki06:
    imageStefandTodd:
    It doesn't matter if YOU disagree. Itsca fact that Britax has not caught up with todays RF standards. Kids grow out of them too soon and is not the car seat to get if you want to RF till or past 2. My son is all torso and wouldnt last till 2 in a marathon.

They're right about the Britaxs.  We tried them in the store recently, and I could tell with how long DS's torso is, it wasn't going to last until 2.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Another vote for the diono radian r120 - DH and I both have them in our cars and love them!  And I'm glad I know DD will be able to rear face until closer to 4 years old.
  • ObLaDiObLaDi member
    We also got the Radian R120s after doing some research. It was important to me that the duration we chose to RF not be compromised by meeting the seat's parameters too soon.
  • imageArmyWife114:
    We have these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Infant-Seat-Archive/dp/B006ZISRQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373307330&sr=8-1&keywords=eddie+bauer+convertible+car+seat

https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-True-Plaid-Gray/dp/B00A8EZOKE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1552CTG6L3OIV&coliid=I10XZJ7VJJVPBS

I really love both of them.  We needed two different seats because my car is significantly smaller than DH's, and so the True Fit came recommended from a friend as a seat that fits great in little cars (I have a toyota yaris).

I also drive a Toyota Yaris and we bought this one:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11468532&searchURL=false

It fits in my car just fine.  This seat is freaking amazeballs.  So easy to install.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"