Babies: 6 - 9 Months

puffs & juice

I've heard a lot of different people say puffs aren't good till 8 or 9 months and i've heard juice isn't good at all. 

my son is almost 7 months, and will drink water out of a sippy cup perfectly fine, just curious when ya'll started juice and puffs, and if you didn't use puffs what did you give them instead?

thanks ladies!! 

Re: puffs & juice

• My LO is almost 8 months, I give him about 2oz of juice with about an oz of water mixed with it 1x a day in his sippy cup. If he finishes his juice I give him water in his cup. I give him apple juice, pear juice, or orange juice. I also keep the juice around to thin out his food when I make purees.

As far as puffs, I don't give my LO puffs. I give him a gluten free cookie 1x a day every other day. LO gums it and it gets soft (like cookies do) and easy for him to swallow. 

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. 

ETA:: The juice I feed LO is from the health food place. It has no added sugar and I do (like I mentioned) water it down. 

Nov 2012 BMB January Siggy Challenge
    Those Presedential Fitness Tests Were Torture

• CellisCellis member
    I don't know much about puffs, but I know juice is a lot of sugar. I wouldn't give juice and just stick with BM or forumla and water if you need it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • Puffs seem really pointless to me. It seems just like a filler. Juice has a lot of sugar. I don't see a need for either of these things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cole will be 6 months next week. We started him on puffs last week. He is actually doing okay with self-feeding them. I was surprised. 

We still don't do juice with my almost 2 year old. He is happy with water and milk. No need to introduce juice. I would rather him eat his fruit. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you choose to do puffs they say to wait until your LO is crawling with tummy off the ground and sits up well - that's why people say 8 or 9 months because they typically do that by then. And like the others said, juice has a lot of sugar. We do give him a little prune juice to keep things moving because he gets constipated, but we try and stick to just breastmilk or a few ounces of water other than that. I did hear pear juice helps with constipation though, so maybe we'll give that a trip. We always water it down though.
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • We haven't tried juice yet, but we do uses puffs occasionally. We are doing BLW and DD expects some sort of food in her hand when we're eating. If we're eating and DD doesn't like whatever we have, puffs keep her from getting mad because she wants us to give her our food.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• We started DS on puffs when he was 7 months, way before he was crawling on all 4s (at 8 months, he's still doing army crawl).  There's little nutritional value in the puffs... I only give them to DS when we're waiting for foods at restaurants.  I bought 1 canister and it's still 1/2 full a month later.  It may end up getting all stale before we even finish it.  I bought them only to see if that'll help DS with his pincer grasp, but he grabs them with his fist anyway.  WE don't eat cheerios; otherwise we could have just given him cheerios instead.  I find the the freeze-dried fruits from Trader Joe's work pretty well, so we will use them instead of puffs once we finish this canister.

As for Juice, there is even less reason to give your LO juice.  I think the AAP recommends against it.  WE only give water in his sippy cup.  Can you give your LO other foods (like pear slices) for constipation, instead of juice? 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Juice isn't used in our house. Too much sugar and he just doesn't need it. But we do use a sippy cup of water throughout the day. He doesn't drink more than a few ounces. And we do the puffs between meals sometimes. We have been for about a month but just now he is able to pick them up himself. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We started puffs around 6.5 months.  I basically give them so DS can work on feeding himself.  They are definitely a snack and not a main meal, and DS has gotten much better at pincher grasping things since working on eating puffs.

We don't do true juice, however, I do give DS the water that I cook apples, pears, etc in when I make purees.  It gets a little bit of flavor that way, but it isn't pure juice with all the sugars that DS really doesn't need.  He gets plenty of natural sugar from his fruit.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I feel like puffs (or other snacks) and juice are just fillers. IMO, babies tummies are so tiny, I would rather fill them with healthful foods. Milk or formula and then fruits, veggies, grains, etc. I choose not to give LO "filler" foods yet. If she's thirsty, I'll give her a cup of water.
  • My daughter is almost 3 and still has yet to have juice. Juice is uneeded sugar. There isn't even any real nutritional value to juice since it's been processed so much. So, we don't give it to the kids. When they are school age and eating lunches at school we'll rethink the idea, but still give only milk or water at home. It's all they need.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for all the input! :) 

My son, like every 6 month old probably, wants to eat when we eat. And if he has just eaten, then we eat he just stares at us the whole time. Which is perfectly fine, but if we're out to dinner, or at a relatives house and people are eating and he's not, he starts getting fussy. That's why i was interested in the puffs. But me just being paranoid i don't want him to choke on them...but idk i'm unsure about that. 

• imageHeyjordynhey:

Thanks for all the input! :) 

My son, like every 6 month old probably, wants to eat when we eat. And if he has just eaten, then we eat he just stares at us the whole time. Which is perfectly fine, but if we're out to dinner, or at a relatives house and people are eating and he's not, he starts getting fussy. That's why i was interested in the puffs. But me just being paranoid i don't want him to choke on them...but idk i'm unsure about that. 

We've started our kids with Puffs around 6-7 months when they started getting their pincher grasp.  They can't really choke on them.  Have you tried one?  They dissolve super quickly.

As for juice, my oldest drinks some juice, maybe 4 watered down ounces a day and I think we started giving him juice around 18 months to age 2.  My middle two don't like juice so for them it's just milk and water.  I'll probably let Maren try juice when she's around 18 months to 2 years old.  Skim milk has around 14 grams of sugar in 8 ounces and apple juice has about the same amount in 4 ounces so it's not as though they are getting a ton more sugar by having one cup of watered down juice vs milk per day.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• imageitsmevkb:
    imageHeyjordynhey:

Thanks for all the input! :) 

We've started our kids with Puffs around 6-7 months when they started getting their pincher grasp.  They can't really choke on them.  Have you tried one?  They dissolve super quickly.

As for juice, my oldest drinks some juice, maybe 4 watered down ounces a day and I think we started giving him juice around 18 months to age 2.  My middle two don't like juice so for them it's just milk and water.  I'll probably let Maren try juice when she's around 18 months to 2 years old.  Skim milk has around 14 grams of sugar in 8 ounces and apple juice has about the same amount in 4 ounces so it's not as though they are getting a ton more sugar by having one cup of watered down juice vs milk per day.

No, i've never tried them before. I have zero knowledge about them, he has pretty good hand eye coordination and has a tight grip. like if i give him a spoon he knows how to put it in his mouth without assistant.   

• Puffs dissolve easily, so you don't need to worry about choking. I bought one can and only use them to occupy dd if I'm making dinner or if we are out and she gets fussy. So it might work in your situation for when he needs to be "eating." Or you could take a long other fruits or veggies for him to nom on.

I gave DD1 juice around 20 months, it was one sippy a day about 25 juice, 75 water. A jug lasted us a month. It was all natural, sometomes organic. But recently I decided it was unnecessary and stopped buying it. Only water and milk now. It will be awhile before DD2 has juice. I'll have to be vigilant of mil, who loves giving it to DD1.

• I think we let DS try juice at 1 but we didn't really give him juice as a drink on a regular basis until he was 2. I'm not sure why puffs would be bad but we started giving them to both kids around 7 months. We've also given her Baby Mum Mums which are nice because she can hold onto them and they make her gums feel better.

• imageCurlyQ284:
    Puffs seem really pointless to me. It seems just like a filler. Juice has a lot of sugar. I don't see a need for either of these things.

This.
  • No juice here. We don't buy it for ourselves and won't for DS. Sometimes I add a bit of the water from steamed apples or pears to his straw cup of water for a little flavour and he likes it. I do give him puffs as a treat once in a while and mums cookies also. 
  • I see absolutely no reason to give juice, especially before 12 months.

However, puffs (or just Cheerios) are really good for helping your baby practice his fine motor control, and I really see no reason to withhold them...it's not like they are bad for the baby.

If your baby is able to pick up a puff by himself and feed it to himself, then by all means, go for it! (My opinion, of course)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We've given diluted juice a few times for constipation, but not regularly. He gets a few ounces of water from a straw cup.
    We do have puffs on hand for when we are waiting for food at restaurants and out and about.

DS is almost 8 months.

• E is almost 10 months, and he hasn't had puffs or juice. We won't do juice for a while. For hydration, he gets breastmilk throughout the day and water in a sippy at meals. I'd rather give water instead of the sugar in juice, and he loves fruit so I'll stick to that instead of juice.

Rather than puffs, we just give smaller foods for pincer practice. Plain Cheerios on occasion, but mostly black beans, blueberries, peas, corn...

• Greyson is 7.5 months and I've been giving him yogurt melts and I believe the lil crunchies (the lucky charm like cereal) just as a snack to keep him occupied while I'm cooking or doing some task between meals for a week or so now. 

Juice I have not done yet. I've been thinking about giving it to him watered down because he is not into the water I've been giving him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started Dating 03/04/2007 ~ Got Engaged 04/23/2010 ~ Said "I Do" 03/19/2011

Started TTC #1 11/2011 ~ BFP #1 03/28/2012-EDD 12/02/2012 ~

Greyson was Born by Unplanned C-Section on 11/20/2012 @ 8lbs 9oz 21 inhces

Started TTC #2 07/2013 ~ BFP #2 10/11/2013-EDD based on growth is June 26th

Liam born by Repeat C-Section on June 20, 2014 @ 8lbs 2oz 20.75 inches

• I give puffs now. Just when we eat dinner or go out for dinner. Keeps her occupied... No juice. I won't give any juice at all until she's old enough to ask for it. Water will be fine and she doesn't know any different.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I honestly just don't even see the point of introducing juice so early. Just water is fine, actually more than fine because it is setting a foundation for good health habits. Puffs really don't have much nutritionally value, but I like to start out with them a bit before starting table foods. Mostly because they easily dissolve, while still providing a different texture to get DS used to eating pieces of food.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"