Parenting after a Loss

6 weeks and about to go insane

I'm telling myself this is the 6 week growth spurt, even though it's been going on for a couple of weeks.

My son cries constantly. He's being treated for acid reflux although we're not sure that's the problem. He will not let me put him down without full on screaming, even for naps. I've tried everything. My H can't even hold him without him screaming bloody murder so I never get a break to like eat, shower and brush my teeth. It's quite miserable for all of us. He's not sleeping more than 2 hours at night either.

Any advice? Experience? We're desperate.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 6 weeks and about to go insane

• pnutgpnutg member
    imagetheresat858:
    If you haven't already watched the happiest baby on the block DVD, do so immediately... follow advice.nbsp; The swing on HIGH, not low, was a life saver for us at that age.nbsp;nbsp;Weeks 68 are known to be a peak fussy time for most babies and that was true for us.nbsp; If you don't already own a good baby carrier, now is the time to invest in one....we loved the Beco Gemini at that age but a ring sling or woven wrap would also be a good investment if you want a Moby get a used one since your LO will probably outgrow it soon.nbsp;Oh, and if LO is sleeping flat that might also be an issue...for us the rock n play was a life saver. We used it for night sleep for the first 10 weeks and most naps were in the swing from weeks 712.nbsp;

I've got the Moby and he screams at first then falls asleep for a bit. He also sleeps in the rock n play but will not sleep in his bouncy seat or mamaroo. I'm hoping this all passes soon!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The Houdini swaddle worked wonders for us!  Also, there is a book called itsy bitsy yoga... the divine drops and chair pose have worked wonders for us.  The hardest part about chair pose is we had to keep doing it and sing "bend and stretch" in a very calming voice.  Another option ... which should help with tummy being unhappy is to hold baby on his tummy like this:

We found that if DD is uncomfortable because of any kind of internal discomfort, even though we can calm her in our arms, she fusses the minute she's put down.

Also, on the swing note... DD liked side-to-side, not front to back... she's nearly 8 weeks and is just starting to accept the front to back motion.

TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Loading the player...
  • ct103ct103 member
    Big HUGS to you. My DD had colic between weeks 5 through 10, and weeks 6 and 7 were definitely the peak. During this time my DH was working roughly 60 hours a week as well! I agree with thesesat, a baby carrier and RnP worked miracles for us. I used a Moby wrap to get her to calm down and sleep. Then I would swaddle her very tightly in an Aden and Anais swaddling blanket, and lay her down in the RnP. This would usually buy me a couple hours of sleep. A white noise machine works well too, although the best white noise comes from running the water in my kitchen sink, and standing in the kitchen while rocking and bouncing. Somehow that is the perfect volume and pitch to calm her down and help her sleep! I know it's not Ecofriendly, but it's just a phase.

Just keep trying, and hang in there! I would definitely encourage swaddling and the RnP though. It makes LO feel more secure, like they do in the womb. Also, call in all the help you can get from friends and family! My mom came over everyday during that time, and it helped so much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • morkmork member
    BIG HUGS. I wrote a very similar post at about 6w. Unfortunately, we didn't find much that worked. The only two proven helpers in our case: more frequent feedings, and time (it sucks to hear "it will get better," but it's one of the only things that helped).  I was all about the carriers (ring sling, k'tan, and bjorn), and keeping snacks and drinks for yourself handy at all times. I'm sorry you're going through this. It sucks and seriously takes its toll. 
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mama to 5 angel babies, 1 rainbow baby, and 2 more angel babies. 
    My beautiful Ella/ToT arrived 10/10/12. 
  • Just wanted to offer you huge hugs!!! My DS had colic from week 3ish through just over 4 months.. It was he'll, and I remember writing similar "desperate for anything" posts... I can't see the picture of the hold a previous poster posted, but the football hold or colic carry worked wonders for us.. (Baby faced out with his chin n the crook of our arm and belly against our forearm).. That with a swinging motion would almost always calm him... A super tight swaddle helped him sleep at night, as well as the inclne (also is a reflux babe..).. Switching to nutramigen/isomil mix helped with the belly pains (he would grunt and scream all the time prior).. And, an exercise ball.. We would bounce him gently while holding n the colic carry with some music... 

It will get easier!!! Hang in there, Momma!!! Hugs!!! 

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • That age was the peak of my DS's silent reflux.  We never were able to get reflux meds (don't get me started, grr), but keeping him upright for about thirty minutes seemed to help, as did doing smaller and more frequent feedings.  His was always worst between about 6-10pm...sometimes there would be hours of the most awful screaming then...and nothing I did would help. 

The good news is that just as the doctors said, he outgrew it by 12 weeks.  Though I know at 6 weeks when you hear that you want to scream because that seems like an eternity away. 

Would the swing be an option? DH taking him for a walk or a drive?  Just thinking the angle of those might help if its reflux related.  Your DH holding him in a different position might help as well.

At that age the one thing that would sometimes work to finally calm DS down was dancing him to sleep.  I'd sing or hum a little tune to myself so I kept a nice slow rhythm (otherwise my frazzled self would move too fast and get him riled up more).  Bicycle Built for Two worked well for me.  Slow, calm, remember to take deep breaths yourself as you do it (he'll feed off your tension or lack of it)...and most importantly, remember that this too shall pass.  It sucks like hell when you're in it, but it does get better.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• ((HUGS)) At that age, I remember DD liked being over one shoulder more than a regular cradle hold. Also when the screaming would start I would walk with her into the bathroom and hit the fan. It was that humming white noise that really helped calm her. She would also relax some if I just walked outside with her. The sudden warmth really soothed her. I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time. I hope things get better soon!

*** aka: andreahshields ***

*** July Siggy Challenge - Cake Wrecks ***

BFP#1 3/8/12; diagnosed w/ Anencephaly at 12w6d; D&C 5/9/12
    BFP#2 7/18/12; A/S 10/26/12 It's a Girl! EDD 3/29/13
    Phoebe Jordan Born 3/20/13

imageimage
  • imageJulyMomma2U2:
    Just wanted to offer you huge hugs!!! My DS had colic from week 3ish through just over 4 months.. It was he'll, and I remember writing similar "desperate for anything" posts... I can't see the picture of the hold a previous poster posted, but the football hold or colic carry worked wonders for us.. Baby faced out with his chin n the crook of our arm and belly against our forearm.. That with a swinging motion would almost always calm him... A super tight swaddle helped him sleep at night, as well as the inclne also is a reflux babe.... Switching to nutramigen/isomil mix helped with the belly pains he would grunt and scream all the time prior.. And, an exercise ball.. We would bounce him gently while holding n the colic carry with some music...nbsp;It will get easier!!! Hang in there, Momma!!! Hugs!!!nbsp;

The hold is exactly as you described =]
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• pnutgpnutg member
    Thank you for all the suggestions ladies. I'm going to try some different holds and things. The bathroom fan suggestion made me smile because when we stayed at my parents that is the only thing that calmed him down. Sitting in the dark bathroom, on the floor, with the fan on! Praying this passes soon.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with all PP, they've given wise advice! DS had colic, too, and it peaked at about 6 weeks for us, as well... We tried everything, and what finally made a difference for us (aside from swaddling, RNP, and the swing) was putting gas drops in each bottle and warming the bottles along with changing to the MAM anti- colic bottles. We also got DS on an organic soy formula, and that made a HUGE difference. 

Lots and lots of T&P for you. It doesn't feel like it now, but it WILL get better!

PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
    You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
     Lilypie - (KAFM)

• My only advice is make sure you get breaks if you need it. It's ok to let him cry for a few minutes if you need to get some air and leave him with the hubby. Getting breaks from the crying is easier said than done, but you need to put yourself first if only for 5 minutes. 

We did what a lot of PP said, cradle hold, bouncing, shushing loudly/bathroom fan, swaddling. Ear plugs if all else fails. 

Big hugs. 

BFP CP 1/12/11 DD born 10/16/11
  • krwactkrwact member

Hugs!  Mine is a reflux baby and there's nothing like that terrible cry.  In addition to what others have said, our solution for white noise is the radio set to static while he's sleeping and if he cried inconsolably, the hair dryer was a life saver!

I echo the Happiest Baby on the Block suggestion. Sometimes it was only with all 5 S's that he would calm down. Meds helped him a lot and he's a very happy baby now.

Good luck!! 

Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"