February 2013 Moms

Should I bother?

DS started solids a few weeks ago with just a little cereal. Next week I'd like to start with veggies - I'm thinking sweet potato. So here's my question -

In theory, I'd love to make my own. My SIL gifted me her baby food mill and I also have an cuisinart food processor (which I feel may do the trick faster, I don't know). How time consuming is making your own food? For the summer it won't be a problem but in September when I go back to teaching, I know I'm going to lean towards buying baby food out of sheer convenience and time. I'd rather play with DS when I can, rather than pureeing away! So should I bother making my own if in a couple months I'll probably end up just buying it at the store? :P

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

Re: Should I bother?

• Could you make a bunch ahead of time and just freeze it? I'm at work full time again as of this week, but I plan to make it ahead of time to freeze because I want to use fresh local produce which may not be in season when it's time for DD to start eating it.

• I just started making it last week, but honestly I feel like it's SO worth it.  I go back to teaching in September too and don't think it'll be bad at all.  Just last night I made avocado AND banana, washed dishes twice, transferred already-frozen purees to plastic bags... all in 30 minutes after she went to bed.  Depending on the food you make and how much, you can easily make WEEKS worth of food in very little time.  Obviously certain foods you have to cook first and they take longer, but I don't think it's bad.  I made sweet potatoes first, and just peeled, boiled and blended them.  From just two sweet potatoes I got 15 2oz servings.  Last night from 4 bananas I got 15 2oz servings and from three avocados I got 13 2oz servings.

Plus, they taste great since it's just the original food, plus water!

I wasn't sure I'd like it at first, but now that I've done it, it's way easier and less time consuming than I originally thought.  I'm definitely pro-homemade purees now :)

ETA:  I HATE cooking too btw!  So for me to like doing this is pretty amazing lol

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • For my first, I started making my own food. I would spend a little time on the weekends making and freezing it. It was very easy. I froze in ice cube trays for perfect sized portions.

As her food intake grew, I simply just made extras of whatever food I was making and would pure it. I would send those to daycare the following day or give them to her at home.

I finally gave up and just used store bought food. It wasn't because I didn't have the time, I was just too lazy to get more creative with my foods. There are many organic brands out there now that had a variety of fruits, veggies, and mixes of the two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageartroyer:

I just started making it last week, but honestly I feel like it's SO worth it.  I go back to teaching in September too and don't think it'll be bad at all.  Just last night I made avocado AND banana, washed dishes twice, transferred already-frozen purees to plastic bags... all in 30 minutes after she went to bed.  Depending on the food you make and how much, you can easily make WEEKS worth of food in very little time.  Obviously certain foods you have to cook first and they take longer, but I don't think it's bad.  I made sweet potatoes first, and just peeled, boiled and blended them.  From just two sweet potatoes I got 15 2oz servings.  Last night from 4 bananas I got 15 2oz servings and from three avocados I got 13 2oz servings.

Plus, they taste great since it's just the original food, plus water!

I wasn't sure I'd like it at first, but now that I've done it, it's way easier and less time consuming than I originally thought.  I'm definitely pro-homemade purees now :)

ETA:  I HATE cooking too btw!  So for me to like doing this is pretty amazing lol

Haha! You are definitely selling it well! I actually really like to cook - so maybe I will give it a whirl! I hadn't really thought about being able to yield so much at a time - so that's pretty great! 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• When I made dd's foods, I always kept a few jars for when I for lazy, so it never felt like a chore to make my own.  I would make a batch when I made dinner.  So if I cooked peas, I would make some extra, pur?e them, and then freeze some.  I felt like making batches on its own felt like more work, but that is me.  My dd never napped well, so I didn't have a ton of free time.   

• This is exactly how I feel.  In fact I was planning to post on this.  I'll have very little time in my day once I go back to work and DH and I routinely skip dinner altogether so I think I'll end up buying in the long run.  I'd have to buy a food processor or something similar and can't it only stay frozen for a few weeks?

If you do decide to buy these are organic and not very expensive.  You can buy them on amazon or at Whole Foods:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030VBQGS/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?qid=1373294906&sr=8-28&pi=SL75u

• imageDrea926:
    imageartroyer:

Haha! You are definitely selling it well! I actually really like to cook - so maybe I will give it a whirl! I hadn't really thought about being able to yield so much at a time - so that's pretty great! 

It's at least worth a shot!  I really like the savings too (I'm a sucker for savings lol).  I mean, two sweet potatoes, 4 bananas and 3 avocados... I could find that much money floating around in my car lol

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I made it with DS1.  I taught too. :)  I just made large batches on the weekends, froze in ice cube trays, then dumped in baggies.  It wasn't a big deal at all.  Took maybe an hour and a half of my time.  I have that steamer that blends in the same container though, so I just turned it on and walked away. The only issue I had was daycare. I had to have a doctor's note to use homemade food and breastmilk and they weren't happy about my not providing tons of food - they were convinced he was going to starve.  He didn't.  ;)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • About using the food processor, I read awhile back (I can't remember where) that you shouldn't use the same processor that you use for your own food... at least not in the beginning because, even if clean, it can hold 'remnants' for lack of a better word of high allergen foods like strawberries and egg that you don't plan to introduce yet, making the potential for an allergic reaction not only higher, but will lead you to think it's something it's not.  Has anyone else heard this?

• I have been making food and using my cusinart hand blender. It is much easier than pulling out the food processor, especially with the portion sizes. I made one sweet potato and it made enough for one week of meals. The consistency was perfect! More to come.
    BabyName Ticker
  • imageHeartstrings13:
    About using the food processor, I read awhile back (I can't remember where) that you shouldn't use the same processor that you use for your own food... at least not in the beginning because, even if clean, it can hold 'remnants' for lack of a better word of high allergen foods like strawberries and egg that you don't plan to introduce yet, making the potential for an allergic reaction not only higher, but will lead you to think it's something it's not.  Has anyone else heard this?

Hmmm...but I used the baby one with another child who already ate all those things, so it would be the same.  Don't they come apart to put through the dishwasher to remove old food??

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagepitterpatter129:

imageHeartstrings13:
    About using the food processor, I read awhile back (I can't remember where) that you shouldn't use the same processor that you use for your own food... at least not in the beginning because, even if clean, it can hold 'remnants' for lack of a better word of high allergen foods like strawberries and egg that you don't plan to introduce yet, making the potential for an allergic reaction not only higher, but will lead you to think it's something it's not.  Has anyone else heard this?

Hmmm...but I used the baby one with another child who already ate all those things, so it would be the same.  Don't they come apart to put through the dishwasher to remove old food??

They were saying that it was something more than food that washing couldn't remove... somehow the allergen stayed behind... I wish I could find the article.  It didn't make much sense to me, so I never paid it much mind, just thought I'd see if anyone else had heard...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"