Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

WTF? Chickenpox?!

I think my son has chickenpox! I noticed a red spot by his mouth yesterday. Today, he has several around his mouth, plus a few on his arms and legs. He also had a low grade fever yesterday. He's been acting like he feels okay and doesn't seem to be scratching. I made sure his nails were cut short just in case. He just got the chickenpox vaccine on June 20th. I don't know if it's a reaction (they said vaccine reactions could be delayed) or just a coincidence and he picked it up at daycare before his immunity kicked in. I will be calling the pedi tomorrow. 
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: WTF? Chickenpox?!

• Could be coxsackie? AKA Hand foot mouth
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• imageluvmyducks:
    Could be coxsackie? AKA Hand foot mouth

Actually, I wondered if it might be that. He had it about a month ago. I assumed it wasn't this time since he just had it and apparently it's rare to have more than one outbreak in the same season. 

• Loading the player...
  • Mine had that reaction almost a month after the chickenpox vaccine...that would be my bet. :)
  • They can still get chicken pox even with the vaccine, but it's usually a lot less severe, a lot less spots, and sometimes they won't get spots at all. From pedi. As other PP suggested though, could be something else. If it were me I'd get it checked out just in case.
  • The chicken pox vaccine isn't 100% (various studies have shown it to be anywhere between 70 and 90%, actually), but since he's had the vaccine, if it IS chicken pox, his symptoms will be much less severe and it should run its course faster (if that makes you feel any better!).
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DS had a rash that started the exact same way.  A few around his mouth and then it turned into a full body rash.  It happened a week after his MMR vaccination.  Low grade fever, irritability, but the rash itself never bothered him.  The Dr. said it was probably just something viral.  It went away after 3 days.

Photobucket

IVF #1 was a success! Harrison and Brooke born at 37 weeks. 6lbs8oz and 6lbs11oz. Loving life as a MoM.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracles

• Well, it seems to be another round of hand, foot, and mouth disease. Thanks for all the replies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"