3rd Trimester

Pregnancy induced carpal tunnel syndrome

Anybody else dealing with this? Sometimes my hands are so swollen that I can't make a fist!! They ache and my finger tips go numb all the time. My OB said she was sorry it was happening ending to me. Haha! I can't find anything on the Internet to really help either. Any ideas? 

Re: Pregnancy induced carpal tunnel syndrome

• I had this with my first pg. The pain would shoot up to my elbow. I wore wrist splints every day and that helped a lot. I used heat pads when the pain got bad. It would take a couple days for the pain to subside, but it would. Not much you can do but manage it as best you can.
  • Do you wear a wrist brace at night? I had this with my first and it helped a lot.
  • Loading the player...
  • emikatemikat member
    I have this bad.  The only thing that is helping me is acupuncture and wearing my splints at night. 

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

FET 4/28/2015 - Transferred 1 M embie. 5/6/15 BFP!

• Braces at night and iceing them when you can. 

I go numb from the elbows down. Can barely hold my toothbrush in the morning. :-( On the positive side, my friend who gave birth 2 weeks ago says it went away almost right away after.

• I had this with my first pregnancy as well. My husband is a Physical Therapist and gave me some wrist exercises to do which helped with the pain and discomfort. Good news is though that literally as soon as I gave birth, the pain went away!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have it and it's terrible. I can barely hold silverware these days. As others have already said, wearing braces at night and icing periodically will help a bit but nothing will really fix it until the baby is born unfortunately.
    BFP#1 10.03.11| Chemical Pregnancy 10.11.11.
    BFP#2 11.13.11| diag@13wks T21/Cystic Hygroma/Hydrops | D&C 1.24.12
    BFP#3 12.13.12| HR 174 | Materni21 - All Chromosomes Normal! | EDD 8.25.13
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • Mhmmm sadly been suffering from it since around week 35 and it's only gotten worse....party!  The only thing that helps me is soaking in Epsom salt and warm water in the morning and at night....works wonders.

imageimageimage

• I have this right now and braces really help a lot. I hate them especially in the morning where they hurt so much. 
  • mcg512mcg512 member

Ditto what PPs said about braces/splints at night and ice.

Someone on my BMB suggested trying to sleep without bending your arms (easier said than done) and that has also helped a lot.  DH has been great with rubbing my hands and arms in the morning when the pain is usually the worst.   

It's not a very pleasant thing to deal with at all.  My OB said it was fairly common however I've never heard of it before now.  Hoping it goes away right after delivery.  Good Luck!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"