Baby Names

DH doesn't like family MN

If this one is a boy, I had really wanted to use my recently passed fathers name as DS's MN. DH says its fine if I want to and he understands why I want to do it, but he really doesn't like the name. It's Frank if that matters. I don't want to make him use it if he doesn't like it. It's his child too and I think this is the type of decision we should both agree on. The other name we both really like is John Luke as a double first name. I'm pretty sure we've narrowed it down to either Isaac Frank or John Luke. DH won't do John Luke Frank and I can't really blame him! We also don't want John Frank or Luke Frank because we prefer the two names together. Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: DH doesn't like family MN

• Please don't do John Luke. All it makes me think of is this guy:

https://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120205053118/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a0/Jean_Luc_Picard_2364.jpg

I know his name is Jean Luc Picard, but it sounds the same. I like John Frank though. Two very nice old man names. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love the idea of honouring a loved one this way. Would you consider Francis as an alternative? Jonathan Francis isn't half bad :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I personally like Frank and the meaning behind it for you. However, if he's really that against it and/or despises it then I cannot imagine using it or even an option. I'm shocked that since it's a middle name and significant to you that he would be that opposed to it.

Maybe use the choice you both like? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • He's fine with it, it's a middle name and enormously important and significant to you. I would be inclined to do it. It sounds like he's happy to compromise on it. Maybe you just give him a 'he loves it I like it' similar compromise on first.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • He takes this namin thing very seriously. He supports me if I want to use it, he just told me its not his favorite name.
  • imageNana_Osaki06:

Please don't do John Luke. All it makes me think of is this guy:

https://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120205053118/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a0/Jean_Luc_Picard_2364.jpg

I know his name is Jean Luc Picard, but it sounds the same. I like John Frank though. Two very nice old man names. 

Not what you asked, but this was my first thought as well and I'm about as far away from Trekkie as you can get.  

I'd use Frank in the middle - it means a lot to you and your DH is ok with it. 

• Could you use your dads middle name?
  • My dads middle name is William. It was also my grandfathers first name, which is why we gave DD the middle name Willow. So I've guess we've already kind of honored him with our first child. I've been dictating all your replies to DH and he's got some new ideas. Levi has been my long time favorite, but he doesn't like it at all. He said we could go with Isaac Levi this time and if we are lucky enough to have another boy we could use Frank then. FWIW, Isaac is his favorite boys name and its been the front runner since we started TTC. It's my second favorite after Levi.
  • I like Isaac Frank or what about Isaac Franklin?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagetfmb2009:
    My dads middle name is William. It was also my grandfathers first name, which is why we gave DD the middle name Willow. So I've guess we've already kind of honored him with our first child. I've been dictating all your replies to DH and he's got some new ideas. Levi has been my long time favorite, but he doesn't like it at all. He said we could go with Isaac Levi this time and if we are lucky enough to have another boy we could use Frank then. FWIW, Isaac is his favorite boys name and its been the front runner since we started TTC. It's my second favorite after Levi.

Isaac Levi is nice and doesn't sound like that aforementioned Star Trek captain.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNana_Osaki06:

BAHAHAHA! This so funny because our chosen boy name is Gianluca and someone thought I had said Jean Luc and they said "Like the guy from Star Trek?" But anyway, who cares. He's just an actor with a sweet French name, it's not like he's the anti-christ or anything. There are much worse things for your child's name to sound like. 

BLAD reppin'

• I myself am not a fan of passing down names, and if your DH doesn't love it I would cross it off...just imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. I myself like Isaac John.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • imageamberrrjade:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

BAHAHAHA! This so funny because our chosen boy name is Gianluca and someone thought I had said Jean Luc and they said "Like the guy from Star Trek?" But anyway, who cares. He's just an actor with a sweet French name, it's not like he's the anti-christ or anything. There are much worse things for your child's name to sound like. 

Actually, the actors name is Patrick Stewart. TYVM

• I really like Franklin as an alternative, Francis is great too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • imageNana_Osaki06:

Well, yes. However my point stays the same. 

BLAD reppin'

• ZimgerZimger member
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    imageamberrrjade:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

Sorry..must butt in...shouldn't but can't help it. It's Sir Patrick Stewart ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ZimgerZimger member

imagetfmb2009:
    My dads middle name is William. It was also my grandfathers first name, which is why we gave DD the middle name Willow. So I've guess we've already kind of honored him with our first child. I've been dictating all your replies to DH and he's got some new ideas. Levi has been my long time favorite, but he doesn't like it at all. He said we could go with Isaac Levi this time and if we are lucky enough to have another boy we could use Frank then. FWIW, Isaac is his favorite boys name and its been the front runner since we started TTC. It's my second favorite after Levi.

I think Isaac Levi sounds nice. As long as you and your DH agree on it. :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I like John Luke better with Caroline.

I would also suggest Issac Francis or Issac Franklin as alternatives to just Frank. Or your Maiden name.

ETA: I'm biased though because DS2 is Francis.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I really like Isaac Levi.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As you actually named your DD "after" your dad... yeah, you did already honor him.  I don't see why you need to again.  Thinking this child would be the ONE honoring, I was all over Frank.  But knowing you honored him w/ your DD - not so much.  I think your DH gets more of a say.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"