May 2013 Moms

Seperation Anxiety - Sleeping in his own room

Our doctor told us it was a good idea to start transitioning baby into his own room.

I'm all for this, in principle, but all of a sudden I find myself struggling to let him sleep in his bassinet on his own. I think it's due to the fact that he sleeps so much better when I'm holding him.  My husband has managed to put him down in baby's room in his bassinet at night; I think it's me struggling in the day.  He's a pretty noisy sleeper so I tend to jump at every noise.  Also I am a first time mom and baby turned 6 weeks today.

So I ask, does anyone else feel this way? And if so have you changed anything? Maybe this is a transition thing, the unsettling and I just need to give it more of a chance? And if you have managed to get baby to sleep in his room, do you have any tips?

Re: Seperation Anxiety - Sleeping in his own room

• If you're not ready to move LO, I'd keep doing what you are doing.

Honestly, I'm not sure why pedis give advice on stuff like this, unless you asked. To me, it's more of a parenting decision than a medical one.

DS1 was in our room until he was 5 months and it was fine transitioning him. I guess my point is, do what makes you and LO happy and what works!
  • I agree with PP, if you aren;t ready, don't do it. I'm not sure why your Pedi would recommend this anyways. My daughter is 10 weeks and we transitioned to the crib two nights ago. I wouldn't have been ready at 5/6 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Eventually you will get tired of trying to sleep with a noisy baby and move her. It happened when my first baby was 9 or 10 wks.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • We actually transitioned her around 4 or 5 weeks. We didn't want to do it so quickly but she was shaking her bassinet even though she is extremely tiny. When we put the pnp she did not want to sleep at all. We were trying to get her to sleep in it at least 2 nights but she would fall asleep in my arms and I did hold her for awhile before I put her down. I do notice however that sometime after her night feeding she does not want to go back into the crib right away.
    If you were going to transition your LO like everyone said do it when you are ready. You can start with naps until he gets used to it and then you can try 2 or 3 nights.
  • imagejesselayne8:
    Eventually you will get tired of trying to sleep with a noisy baby and move her. It happened when my first baby was 9 or 10 wks.

This happened for me, but at 4 weeks. LO is constantly grunting and making noises. I got to the point where I thought I would sleep better with her in the other room even factoring in a whole bunch of times checking on her.

ETA: I also finally figured out last week that I was picking up LO when she got really grunty and it turns out she was still asleep and I was waking her up. So she actually sleeps longer in the other room because I am not interfering too early.
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • image5953fpp:
    If you're not ready to move LO, I'd keep doing what you are doing.

Honestly, I'm not sure why pedis give advice on stuff like this, unless you asked. To me, it's more of a parenting decision than a medical one.

DS1 was in our room until he was 5 months and it was fine transitioning him. I guess my point is, do what makes you and LO happy and what works!

This. It is recommended by the AAP to co sleep for at least six months. I understand them advising baby go to their own bed if they are sleeping with you, but not their own room. We kept our DD in the PNP in our room until seven months. My DH didn't even want to move her then.
  • We will have LO sleep in our room until 6 or more mos. that is when the SIDS risk drops. We will transition him to his crib when we move in 2 weeks but it will be in our room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• imagejesselayne8:
    Eventually you will get tired of trying to sleep with a noisy baby and move her. It happened when my first baby was 9 or 10 wks.

This is what happened with us. I couldn't sleep with all of the little squeaks, grunts, sighs and 2 second cries that she was giving out. We moved her about a week ago, 2 nights in a row I had major separation anxiety, she slept about the same as she did in my arms or in her PNP next to me. I brought her back with me for 2 nights and slept horribly and tried the crib again. She's been in their about 4 nights in a row now and she slept 8 hours last night :) But like PP said- there is no reason you need to move her now if you are both happy with the sleeping arrangement.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"