June 2013 Moms

EPing check in?

Anyone interested in having an exclusively pumping check in. I know pumping is a lot of work and it might be nice to have the support of one another to push us through. I would be happy to do the check in if people are interested.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: EPing check in?

• For sure!  Someone started this last week, but then the bump somehow deleted the post.  It was a big hit though!
  • imagekelly422:
    For sure! nbsp;Someone started this last week, but then the bump somehow deleted the post. nbsp;It was a big hit though!

Awe. I missed it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am EP and I am only 2 weeks and I am getting frustrated and exhausted and only getting about 3 ounces at a time. I am going to try the fenugreek and blessed thistle supplements the LC suggested and hopefully that ups my supply. I was drinking the mothers milk tea but she suggested I get the supplements because I will get more into my system. Hopefully that works. I just wish my LO would latch on better.
  • imageIlovebeingamom:
    imagekelly422:
    For sure! nbsp;Someone started this last week, but then the bump somehow deleted the post. nbsp;It was a big hit though!
    Awe. I missed it.

It was only up for a few hours but had lots of responses.  I elect you to start a new check-in! :)   

• imagemommakristydawn:
    I am EP and I am only 2 weeks and I am getting frustrated and exhausted and only getting about 3 ounces at a time. I am going to try the fenugreek and blessed thistle supplements the LC suggested and hopefully that ups my supply. I was drinking the mothers milk tea but she suggested I get the supplements because I will get more into my system. Hopefully that works. I just wish my LO would latch on better.

I'm sorry. It is frustrating and a lot of work! How often are you pumping? I'm getting between 2 and 3 ounces if I pump every 2 hours. It's enough to feed LO. I get tired of having to come home to pump if I've been gone for a while.
  • Would love it! I could use some advice now as a matter of fact. My DS is 3 weeks old today and we have had trouble bfding from day 1. After several days of not latching, we started pumping and supplementing. My supply has been low from the beginning, but now that my DS appetite is increasing, I am hardly able to produce 2 bottles per day for him. I am only getting 1 to 1.5 oz per session and he is eating between 3 and 4 oz at a time. I've tried drinking tons of water, dark beer, oatmeal, almonds, 2 different types of supplements I had an allergic reaction to the one with fenugreek in it and I pump every 3 hours. The only thing that worked was the supplement with fenugreek in it unfortunately. I am really feeling discouraged and like it is almost pointless for me to keep going when it takes me up to 4 pumping sessions to produce what my guy needs for one meal... Thoughts, suggestions, comments?? TIA!
  • I am going on 12 weeks of EPing. It's a lot of work but so worth it. This week my supply has totally tanked and I've been considering giving it up, but I just can't bring myself to give up yet. I think part of my problem was my pump. It was acting weird and not sucking as good. I thoroughly cleaned everything which seems to have fixed that problem. I am also making sure I ate better and drink more. I started power pumping to see if that will help as well. I may be calling the doctor Monday but still haven't decided. I also want to make some lactation cookies to try. Hopefully something will help.

I completely understand getting frustrated having to come home and pump. Luckily I have the Medela PISA and it has a battery pack. I take it with me and pump in the car often. Good luck to all the mamas out there pumping. Not quite the path I would've picked but at least we can still provide bm.

• imagebabymillersmommy:
    Would love it! I could use some advice now as a matter of fact. My DS is 3 weeks old today and we have had trouble bfding from day 1. After several days of not latching, we started pumping and supplementing. My supply has been low from the beginning, but now that my DS appetite is increasing, I am hardly able to produce 2 bottles per day for him. I am only getting 1 to 1.5 oz per session and he is eating between 3 and 4 oz at a time. I've tried drinking tons of water, dark beer, oatmeal, almonds, 2 different types of supplements I had an allergic reaction to the one with fenugreek in it and I pump every 3 hours. The only thing that worked was the supplement with fenugreek in it unfortunately. I am really feeling discouraged and like it is almost pointless for me to keep going when it takes me up to 4 pumping sessions to produce what my guy needs for one meal... Thoughts, suggestions, comments?? TIA!

What kind of pump are you using? I was told 10 minutes on each side every 2 hours until you reach your goal. Your goal should be 25 to 35 ounces per day. Can you see a lactation consultant? Mine had a lot of info for exclusively pumping. I don't have any other advice... Sorry. Sounds frustrating!
  • imagekari.sandall:
    I am going on 12 weeks of EPing. It's a lot of work but so worth it. This week my supply has totally tanked and I've been considering giving it up, but I just can't bring myself to give up yet. I think part of my problem was my pump. It was acting weird and not sucking as good. I thoroughly cleaned everything which seems to have fixed that problem. I am also making sure I ate better and drink more. I started power pumping to see if that will help as well. I may be calling the doctor Monday but still haven't decided. I also want to make some lactation cookies to try. Hopefully something will help.

I completely understand getting frustrated having to come home and pump. Luckily I have the Medela PISA and it has a battery pack. I take it with me and pump in the car often. Good luck to all the mamas out there pumping. Not quite the path I would've picked but at least we can still provide bm.

Let me know how the lactation cookies turn out!!
    Don't give up! You've been doing it for so long!! I pump in the car with my manual pump. Hopefully you figure something out for your supply!! I started a freezer stash just in case that happens to me... I have heard it happens if you start excersizing. I am sure there are many things that affect supply.
  • imageIlovebeingamom:
    imagebabymillersmommy:
    Would love it! I could use some advice now as a matter of fact. My DS is 3 weeks old today and we have had trouble bfding from day 1. After several days of not latching, we started pumping and supplementing. My supply has been low from the beginning, but now that my DS appetite is increasing, I am hardly able to produce 2 bottles per day for him. I am only getting 1 to 1.5 oz per session and he is eating between 3 and 4 oz at a time. I've tried drinking tons of water, dark beer, oatmeal, almonds, 2 different types of supplements I had an allergic reaction to the one with fenugreek in it and I pump every 3 hours. The only thing that worked was the supplement with fenugreek in it unfortunately. I am really feeling discouraged and like it is almost pointless for me to keep going when it takes me up to 4 pumping sessions to produce what my guy needs for one meal... Thoughts, suggestions, comments?? TIA!

What kind of pump are you using? I was told 10 minutes on each side every 2 hours until you reach your goal. Your goal should be 25 to 35 ounces per day. Can you see a lactation consultant? Mine had a lot of info for exclusively pumping. I don't have any other advice... Sorry. Sounds frustrating!

It is frustrating and heart breaking at the same time bc my DS is so gassy and in pain quite a bit. I feel bad about the fact that I can't give him more breast milk to help with the digestion . Anyway, I am using a Madela symphony hospital grade pump, at the recommendation of my lactation consultant. Honestly I have seen 3 different consultants so far and my current one who is by far the best, has had me try all these things and finally believes there might just be some underlying health reason as to why I'm not producing enough. The supplement I'm taking now is a liquid that has a lot of extra iron in it. It hasn't helped so far.
  • imagebabymillersmommy:

Have you tried power pumping sessions? What about adding Blessed Thistle to the Fenugreek?  You can also think about Domperidone and Reglan (although I've heard Reglan has more side effects). 

• imagekelly422:

imagebabymillersmommy:

Have you tried power pumping sessions? What about adding Blessed Thistle to the Fenugreek?  You can also think about Domperidone and Reglan (although I've heard Reglan has more side effects). 

What is power pumping? I'm getting around 1.5 oz out of each breast when I pump but would like to get more since LO eats 3 oz at each feeding. I'm going to try fenugreek and see if that helps.

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• imageRedCherry1109:
    imagekelly422:

imagebabymillersmommy:

What is power pumping? I'm getting around 1.5 oz out of each breast when I pump but would like to get more since LO eats 3 oz at each feeding. I'm going to try fenugreek and see if that helps.

Power pumping is a way to boost your supply.  I tried it when my supply tanked after I had plugged ducts.  My supply gradually improved, but I don't think the power pumping helped.  But for some people it works!  About once a day for 3-4 days to a week, you pump for 20 minutes, take a break for 10, pump for 10, take a break for 10, pump for 10 (total of 1 hour).  It basically mimics a baby going through a growth spurt and tells your body to make more.  

• Count me in!  I'm EP'ing and getting about 8oz per pump now (4 from each breast) at just over 2wks pp.  Today is my last day of help because DH goes back to work. I think pumping will become much harder while watching a toddler and a newborn, but I plan to push through and do it for 9mo-1yr!  With DD I EP'd for 6mo and wished I had kept going.
  • I'm in too! I'm at 5 weeks tomorrow of EP. It is exhausting, but worth it for DS and our wallets!

Would love the support. Got frustrated around week 2, and since have been making small goals. My ultimate goal would be atleast 6 months but since that seems SO far away I started with 1 month. Now my goal is to make it to 2 months, etc...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"