Toddlers: 24 Months+

Hot dogs and choking?

Ok. I know that hot dogs are on the choking list. I always cut up the hotdog in little pieces. My lo is 2 and I was wondering if he can just eat a hotdog in a bun the regular way? I'm petrified of choking, but maybe I'm being crazy with this. I need to know bc I'm going to party with only hotdogs for kids. Tia!

Re: Hot dogs and choking?

• My DD is almost 2.5 and I don't worry about choking anymore. I can't remember the last time I cut up hot dogs or grapes in half. Can your LO take bites out of other food? If s/he's not used to it at all, maybe a party's not the best time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I still slice hotdogs lengthwise.
  • Loading the player...
  • I slice them lengthwise as well. There are some things (grapes, hot dogs, and popcorn) that I do not and will not let him have whole until he is old enough. There is a risk of accidental inhalation. Since they are the perfect size and shape of a windpipe, they can get lodged and the HM will not help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I stopped worrying about choking a long time ago. Like, 18 months I think. Now we just give her the hot dog and let her enjoy it. But she hates buns haha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • My hotdogs were sliced lengthwise until I was, like, 12. DS's will also be sliced for that length of time. (Not all the way through the hotdog but almost).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Still slice hot dogs lengthwise at 2 yrs, 2 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So a lot of you are saying you cut the hotdogs lengthwise but do you put them in a hotdog bun like that? Sorry this sounds like a dumb question, but just trying to see what people do.. I will try next time. Usually I cut the hotdog up in quarter pieces with no bun but he loves bread..
  • I don't.  But he has maybe 1 or 2 hotdogs a year... I just put it in a bun this weekend and gave it to him.  Wasn't on my radar any longer.  Grapes I give whole sometimes, but cut for a long time and I still worry about those.  I don't let him have popcorn either, so I'm thinking maybe I should be more paranoid about hot dogs! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Grab a knife and cut the hot dog.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You should read and follow these guidelines https://blog.earlystart.me/?p=218 and the fear will simply fade away! 
  • We still slice lengthwise and I'm sure I will for a while. It's just not a risk I'm willing to take. The thing about hot dogs and grapes, etc. is that it's the right size for choking AND that it's in a casing/skin, which doesn't really just mash up like, say, a banana of the same size would.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"