September 2013 Moms

need Low Blood Sugar suggestions

So I swore I wouldn't, but this is kind of another GD test post. A little different though, my results came back low. How it's possible to have low blood sugar after that drink not sure. The dr is testing again to see how low it is on a normal day. They said there was no long term affects on the baby (Dr google says different, but I'm hoping my dr is right) and this is probably the reason that I've been feeling so crappy lately.

Anyway, the only real instruction I was given was to eat something with protein and complex carbs every 1 to 1.5 hours. Does anyone else have, or had low blood sugar in the past, and have suggestions for these hourly snacks, or any other advice. I have zero appetite so this is sounding like torture to me right now.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: need Low Blood Sugar suggestions

• I have had severe hypoglycemia in the past and you are right that a mix of carbs and proteins will help maintain a steady blood sugar to you. I had the same type of result on a prepreg glucose tolerance test... It occurs when your body breaks down the sugar too quickly vs. too slow in the case with GD. You might want to try things like berries with almonds or peanut butter, crackers and cheese, apple with peanut butter, yogurt with fruit, etc... Eating a fat or protein with the carb/sugar will help break it down more slowly. Good luck with this! I hope you feel better!
  • You can find lots of ideas for these snacks on Pinterest! Here's a few:

Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana slices

Oatmeal with banana and almonds

Slices ofight mozzarella with tomato and basil one of my favorite things!

Hummus with carrots
    **Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • peanut butter crackers save me every morning!
  • mcg512mcg512 member

I've been hypoglycemic since I was about 15 and also had low sugar after drinking the glucose drink.  We had an US during the hour wait and the tech was very surprised that our little guy was yawning instead of flipping around and moving like she normally sees after someone drinks it.  I've always managed my hypoglycemia with diet and my OB has not been concerned about LO's health because of it.  

Some of my go to snacks are cheese and crackers, hard boiled eggs, nuts, pretzels, yogurt, apple slices or celery with peanut butter.  You can also make shakes with yogurt and fruit and add a protein supplement (I'd check with your OB for specific on how much protein supplement to add)  

Low blood sugar will definitely make you feel crappy!  Eating smaller meals and snacks more frequently will help keep your blood sugar consistent and keep it from spiking or dropping and you'll probably notice a change in how you feel in just a couple days.  Hope this helps and you start feeling much better very soon!!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image
  • After eating breakfast and then drinking tha sugary drink, my numbers also came back low after the 1 ht test. I wasn't  terribly low, but low none the less, especially since it was a non fasting test. I was told to remember to eat, especially breakfast, and to carry snacks with me, pb crackers, cereal bars, fruit, etc...

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• Avoiding high sugar count food (like sugary cereals) and white startch will keep your blood sugar from spiking and crashing a few moments later.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have the same problem and have dealt with it for as long as I can remember. Easy ideas for the snacks would be granola bars or fruit snacks. I also like to have boxed fruit juice because sometimes I get to where I almost pass out and if I drink the juice it works the quickest. HTH.

• imageauroraloo:
    Black Pepper Triscuits with cottage cheese. It's pretty much my goto. If you're really feeling crappy, try sucking on a peppermint before you eat. It will raise your blood sugar a bit, and peppermint is supposed to help with nausea. AFter that you may be able to eat your healthier sugarraising snack, if that makes sense.nbsp;

Ooh good idea! I love wheat thins with cottage cheese, but I love all triscuits too so I'll add that into my snack regime! And great ideas everyone!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I have reactive hypoglycemia and my blood sugar spikes and drops like prior posters have mentioned.  I highly suggest meeting with a dietician.  I'm currently testing my blood sugar 4 times  a day and am keeping a log of what I eat so I can see what foods work and which ones don't. It's been a real eye-opener and will probably influence the way I eat for the rest of my life, not just during pregnancy.  Everyone is so different.  For example, eating cereal with milk can wreck my whole day.  For some people, it works great!  It helps to know what works for you.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"