Food Allergy

Only one with food allergies in their circle?

My DH and I don't have food allergies--our daughter does though. But we are the lone family in our extended family (cousins, nieces/nephews, etc) that have food allergies. Also out of all of our friends and their young kids, we don't have any friends with food allergies either.

I feel like we are the only ones around that deal with food allergies. I know we aren't because I am a teacher and some of my students have them--but in our circle of family and friends no one else has food allergies.

It is super frustrating sometimes. 

My daughter is my hero.

Re: Only one with food allergies in their circle?

• HUGS! I understand how you feel.  Lots of friends and family with LOs and not one allergy or health problem to be seen.  My DD has DS, heart defect, and milk allergy.  It hurts the most when I go to a family party and they "know" I have to be dairy free for LO but I get there and there is NOTHING I can eat.  It makes it hard to enjoy the party when all the goodies are forbidden and I'm starving.  We usually end up leaving early so that I can get something to eat.
  • I am in the same boat.  My older sister had the nerve to tell me it's my fault my daughter is allergic to peanuts because I didn't eat enough while I was pregnant.  She also said my LO is gonna be "that kid".  How horrible!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, it sucks. I HATE feeling like the only one. It's so frustrating. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yup, we can't get our extended families to take DS's food allergies seriously.  To be clear, DS doesn't just have mild reactions, he had anaphylaxis when he was exposed to fish, and that tested on a lower level of severity compared to his peanut allergy (thankfully we've never given him peanuts before).

My MIL keeps making comments like "oh maybe it's not all fish, have you tried giving him different types of fish?"  Um no, dear MIL, when my child's lips swelled up, vomited, broke out in hives, got rushed to the hospital, had multiple IVs inserted, breathing got compromised, and had to put an oxygen mask from TWO bites of salmon, I'm not going to try feeding him ANY fish!  GRRRR....

• imageStillharbor:
    HUGS! I understand how you feel.  Lots of friends and family with LOs and not one allergy or health problem to be seen.  My DD has DS, heart defect, and milk allergy.  It hurts the most when I go to a family party and they "know" I have to be dairy free for LO but I get there and there is NOTHING I can eat.  It makes it hard to enjoy the party when all the goodies are forbidden and I'm starving.  We usually end up leaving early so that I can get something to eat.

Hi,  my ds2 also has DS and a likely milk allergy.

I am also gluten intolerant and I've learned to eat before going to family get togethers.

DS1 has allergies to some fish/shellfish which was a surprise since seafood is his favorite food group.  Unlike the pp whose ds had a severe reaction, my ds just vomits when he gets one he reacts to, and obviously he doesn't react to all fish/shellfish.

My mom is allergic to eggs and is lactose and gluten intolerant.  We are the only ones with food allergies/intolerances so far and it has been interesting how often we have had to listen to others complain about their seasonal allergies but have our dietary restrictions dismissed as optional.  It's like people think we are on some kind of fad weight loss diet.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"