C-sections
Options

Caring for DD1 after RCS

Hi everyone, I need some advice....

DD1 is going to be 15 months when DD2 is born and I just started thinking about the challenges of taking care of him when the baby is born. I have a RCS scheduled so as long as everything goes according to plan I wont be able to lift DD1 for a few weeks how do i get him out of his crib? Or into the car seat? Or down the stairs( he can crawl up)  Anybody have any insight? Thanks!

Re: Caring for DD1 after RCS

• Options
    These are some of the exact reasons I want a VBAC if I have another child.  Do you have family or friends that can come help out?  Could your older child do naps on a mattress on the floor downstairs?  Have your husband put him in the crib at night then get him out and bring him downstairs in the mornings.  Then you just stay downstairs all day.  As for the carseat try to limit outings or get someone to watch the older child.  Maybe he'll be able to climb in and out of it by then and you'll only have to deal with the harness.  
  • Options

Stairs: Teach her to go down on her own. We taught DS to go down the stairs at our old house before he was a year old. He loved stairs so much at that point that I wanted to make sure he was safe on them. I taught him to go down backwards, and it worked really well for us. By 15 months, he preferred to walk down while holding my hand, and I only carried him if I was in a hurry.

Car seat: depending on your car, you can probably teach her to get in and out of the seat on her own, too. I got a little step stool - DS could stand on it to get into the SUV, then I'd move it to the floorboard, and he could use it to get into his seat. I didn't work on this very hard, though, so it's still hit or miss. He was a little older when I tried that, though - maybe 18 months?

No advice on the crib.

I also bought him a small table and chair where he could eat instead of in the high chair.

I had a successful VBAC, but I'm glad I worked on those things (stairs, car seat) ahead of time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You really need to get help for the first 10 to 14 days. DD was 17 months when my second baby came and there is no way she would have slept on a mat downstairs or climbed into the car by herself. I would gate the stairs, have diapers and extra clothes downstairs for your older child and take her upstairs once a day for her nap. I had help for the first 10 days after my RCS and then I was on my own. We skipped a few bathes but otherwise I was able to care for her.

Edit you won't be driving for at least 2 weeks so the carseat shouldn't be an issue before then.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I'm going to ditto that you will need help. I needed someone here everyday until probably today, and I'm 15 days out. I have my incision check tomorrow, so I'm hopeful that everything looks good and that I'll get driving privileges. 
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageRileykal:

Hi everyone, I need some advice....

DD1 is going to be 15 months when DD2 is born and I just started thinking about the challenges of taking care of him when the baby is born. I have a RCS scheduled so as long as everything goes according to plan I wont be able to lift DD1 for a few weeks how do i get him out of his crib? Or into the car seat? Or down the stairs( he can crawl up)  Anybody have any insight? Thanks!

My DH is not able to lift due to a disability. I joke that the 2 weeks he takes off work are just to give me naps. Help with lifting is not an option for me. So I have learned to just keep it to a min. This year I will be having my 5th Csection in 6 1/2 years.

Anyway, I have had kids that close with a Csection (13 and 14 months apart).

Crib: Switch him to a toddler bed or a mattress on the floor. If he just is not ready, then lift him and put him down right away. I have had to do this. Unless you have a DH/SO at home that can help. Maybe wake him up sooner and put him on the couch with you right there? or in bed with you? Maybe co sleep for a few weeks.

Stairs: Start teaching him to crawl down the stairs with you right there. Mine all did it. They can go up and down themselves by that age. I know it can be a little scary since you hear of little people falling down them and being seriously hurt, but you can stand behind them as they go up for support if needed.

Car seat: if he can't get in himself (my 18 month old has issues doing so in my mini van) then lift him quickly into it. Although you are not suppose to be driving for a few weeks. So this should not be to much of an issue.

You will really want help the first week. If you do not have any, don't worry, you will be ok. Just keep the lifting to the minimum. Be sure to rest as much as you can. Do not over do it with cleaning. Sorry if others hate how your house looks, but you can over do it with cleaning up after little ones in the first week. Ask your hospital about a PP belt. I was not introduced to them till my last pregnancy, and let me tell you, it helped with pain and I think it made healing easier in the first few weeks.

DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! DH will be home for 10-12 days so I am hoping I'll be ok. And we're def going to start teaching him to go down the stairs
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"