Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Is this illegal?

Our neighbors were having a very loud party on July 4th. They were shooting off illegal fireworks pa has strict laws against them. They were so loud that it woke our LO 2 times. I went over to speak with them and they told me they ensured their 7 month old slept by putting earplugs in his ears. I'm not sure of this is illegal or not but its definitely immoral!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is this illegal?

• Well if fireworks are illegal then yeah it's illegal but putting ear plugs in the babies ear probably not. I mean if they party every weekend and use ear plugs for that purpose then you might have a have neglect issue. We went and watched fireworks with both kids and they wore sound proof ear protection ear muffs just like they do when we go to air shows too ... I don't think that's illegal or immoral it's protecting their hearing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • um not sure its illegal to do that but def ridiculous. They sound like real winners
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Loading the player...
  • To clarify: they put earplugs in their sleeping baby's ears so their partying wouldn't wake him.
  • If the fireworks are illegal then yea it's illegal. The earplugs no I wouldn't imagine that would be. I can see if they are falling over drunk and neglecting their children to party I would be concerned but I'm sure it was probably just a once a year thing that they wanted to host and put earplugs in so the fireworks wouldn't scare the baby awake. Sounds fine to me but out of courtesy to my neighbors I wouldn't host a party like that unless it was a neighborhood party where everyone on the block could come enjoy and I wouldn't be bothering anyone. At least they could've told you. I put a louder fan in DS room last year bc I expected it to be loud around here.
  • I don't know if the earplugs are illegal. Personally, I wouldn't put them in a child's ear that's so young. However, the other way of looking at it is that they cared enough not to want to disturb the child's sleep? IDK. Do they party like that all the time? Have you noticed anything else which may point to neglect? It was the 4th of July and if the noise and illegal fireworks disturbed or bothered you, then address that with them. Were they fall down drunk, belligerent? Only you know how your neighbors typically act, but if they're usually reasonable, responsible and courteous people. ..I wouldn't be so quick to judge.
  • I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's not illegal to use earplugs.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagesunnyday016:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's not illegal to use earplugs.

This.
    Weird. I can agree.

Immoral. Not so much.

Wrong. Nah. Just weird.

I can see being bothered by the fireworks, but honestly it's one night out of the year. Unless they're falling down drunk and neglecting their kid every weekend I just can't see the big deal.

• I just think choking hazard if they came out. So not illegal or immoral but maybe irresponsible.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Fireworks- yes illegal. 

Earplugs- not illegal. We put some in DS's ears at an outdoor concert the other week. They only lasted a song before he threw them in the mud, haha. I would never put them in a baby's ears to sleep. They could become dislodged and pose a choking hazard. Very dangerous.  

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• imageJoy2611:

What kind of fireworks were they?  Fireworks are legally sold in PA and certain ones aren't regulated so - therefore - completely legal.  Others require a permit. Of course, they may still be breaking the law depending on what they were doing, but no, not all fireworks are illegal in the state of Pennsylvania.

https://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/psp/4451/fireworksfaq/537214

These were illegal.  The went into the air and exploded, hence, illegal in PA.  I've lived here all my life.  Trust me....they were illegal.  LIke the kind they shoot off at the carnival kind.   

• imageEstwd2:
    I am so confused as to why this would be immoral.

Maybe "irresponsible" would've been a better word to choose for this :)

• imagelaurenhankey:
    imageJoy2611:

What kind of fireworks were they?  Fireworks are legally sold in PA and certain ones aren't regulated so - therefore - completely legal.  Others require a permit. Of course, they may still be breaking the law depending on what they were doing, but no, not all fireworks are illegal in the state of Pennsylvania.

https://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/psp/4451/fireworksfaq/537214

These were illegal.  The went into the air and exploded, hence, illegal in PA.  I've lived here all my life.  Trust me....they were illegal.  LIke the kind they shoot off at the carnival kind.   

These recently became legal in MI and I wish they had stayed illegal! 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Whatever happened to a white noise machine?

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • I was researching how to help babies sleep through the festivities. We had fireworks going off all around our house. I found a few websites that suggested ear plugs. I don't think it is illegal, but perhaps they should have found another place to shoot off fireworks and maybe a babysitter. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"