Babies: 0 - 3 Months

gerber pure water concern

Hi everyone, I have a 7 week old and have been supplementing breast feeding with formula. I use the gerber pure water to make his bottles and just noticed TODAY that it must be refrigerated after opening and used within 7 days!!! I thought this to be strange being water and all but I am also very worried I may have caused my baby harm. Once I open a one gallon jug it takes me upto two weeks to use one up and I keep it on the kitchen counter....yikes!!

Should I be concerned? 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: gerber pure water concern

• Well, does your child have any symptoms that should cause concern. If so, then call your pedi. If not, then he/she is fine and you can relax and switch to using tap water and stop wasting your money.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagercantor:
    Well, does your child have any symptoms that should cause concern. If so, then call your pedi. If not, then he/she is fine and you can relax and switch to using tap water and stop wasting your money.

This. The "nursery water" business is a load of crap. 

Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

• Loading the player...
  • I think they put that disclaimer on there to cover their rears. Its purified water and unless its sitting out in a hot garage its not going to collect bacteria that fast. Honestly, I would just use tap or boiled water (if you are really picky). The nursery water is marketed to sell to paranoid parents. It really isn't that much better for your kid and you can save money just boiling your tap. 

I just ran water from the tap and voila. If your baby isn't exhibiting symptoms (diahrea, vomiting etc.) then I wouldn't worry.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagemajwv8:
    Most tap water has too much fluoride for babies and isn't good for their gums and forming teeth.

LOL, wow, maybe that is why I got a cavity, my mom used tap water in the 70's. I am 35.  

photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageohgrl95:

imagemajwv8:
    Most tap water has too much fluoride for babies and isn't good for their gums and forming teeth.

LOL, wow, maybe that is why I got a cavity, my mom used tap water in the 70's. I am 35.  

Fluoride is for preventing cavities and not everywhere has fluoride in the water
  • I use the gerber water and it sits on my kitchen counter, it is probably used within a week but with it being water i doubt it really matters. I use it because you can smell and taste the chlorine in our tap water it is so strong. If our water wasn't like that then i would just use tap.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemajwv8:

yeah, fact checking is your friend...

from Jay L. Hoecker, M.D.

You can safely use fluoridated tap water to prepare infant formula. Exposure to fluoride during infancy helps prevent tooth decay.

However, regularly mixing powdered or liquid concentrate infant formula with fluoridated water might increase your child's risk of developing faint white markings or streaks on the teeth ? a sign of mild enamel fluorosis.

Fluorosis is a cosmetic issue that affects both baby teeth and permanent teeth while they're forming under the gums. In young children, combined fluoride exposure from all sources contributes to fluorosis. This includes the fluoride in fluoridated water, foods and drinks made with fluoridated water, and fluoridated toothpaste and mouth rinses ? especially if these products are swallowed.

Fluorosis can't develop or worsen once permanent teeth break through the gums.

If you're concerned about fluorosis, consider ways to minimize your baby's exposure to fluoride.

For example, you might use ready-to-feed formula or alternate between tap water and low-fluoride water ? such as purified, demineralized, deionized or distilled bottled water ? to prepare concentrated formula.

Remember, though, early exposure to fluoride helps prevent tooth decay. If you feed your baby only ready-to-feed formula or concentrated formula mixed with low-fluoride water, your baby's doctor might recommend fluoride supplements beginning at 6 months.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-formula/AN01699 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageBallet513:

imagercantor:
    Well, does your child have any symptoms that should cause concern. If so, then call your pedi. If not, then he/she is fine and you can relax and switch to using tap water and stop wasting your money.

This. The "nursery water" business is a load of crap. 

My DH is an environmental scientist. He says it is important to know the quality of water in your area before feeding it to a newborn.

In our area, the parasite coccidia is prevelant in our water. Therefore, it is recommended that those with weak immune systems do not drink the tap water.

For the record, I am in a major city in the US.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you kidding me? Who in God's name uses tap water for their child? I feel sorry for your poor baby...
  • Not to mention fluoride is the number one cause of cancer deaths and that's straight from the cancer research institution. Wow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"