April 2013 Moms

How did you decide which formula?

I am thinking ahead.....I have not yet decided when I will switch LO from BM to formula but don't expect my supply to hold up once I am back in the office daily and LO is at daycare....
So, which formula did you pick and why? And if you went from BM to formula, how did your LO do with the change? I plan on doing half and half/mixed bottles.....but first we need to get LO way better with a bottle in general!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

Re: How did you decide which formula?

• You know how they say its best to BF for 2 yrs, and if you introduce solids, that BM or formula still need to be their main source of food.... Does that mean if I stop BF before DS is one, that he needs to be on formula till he's 2? How does this all work??
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imagekravenmoore:

FYI... I was told by people that my supply would not hold up once I went back to work but I have yet to see a change.  In fact, I would say it has increased.  I make sure to breastfeed when I am with him and I pump during the day at work.  I try to look at pictures of him on my laptop while I am pumping, but sometimes I am too busy and have to do other things to do on the computer to get work done.  

I pump two times while at work.  I make sure to get in a pump before leaving for work, after he has fed (~6/7 AM), again at ~10 AM, then ~2 PM, and finally, 6 PM.  I will also pump one more time after his last night feeding.  This gives me enough milk for his daycare bottles and then some.  If I notice that I am getting low, then I will get up in the middle of the night to get in an additional pump, even if he does not wake up to eat.   

Edit:  I forgot to mention that there are a couple other women in my office suite who are also pumping or have in the past and their supply never dwindled.  One is still feeding a 9 month old and the other breastfed until he was 18 months old. 

All of this. 

That being said, Charlie ended up weaning himself (no clue why) around 8 months and we picked Similac Advance. The two main contenders are Enfamil and Similac and they both have a "normal" version. From there if you need a special formula for gas or an intolerance, your doctor can help you decide which to get. But otherwise the basic and even generic stuff is just fine. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Loading the player...
  • imageRussianMommy:
    You know how they say its best to BF for 2 yrs, and if you introduce solids, that BM or formula still need to be their main source of food.... Does that mean if I stop BF before DS is one, that he needs to be on formula till he's 2? How does this all work??

Nope. Breast milk until 2 is awesome, but if not, you only need formula until around 12 months. Starting close to 12 months you can start introducing whole cow's milk (or goat's milk or whatever floats your boat). They need whole milk because of the fat - its good for them for that first year off formula. Oh, and those "toddler" formulas are a bunch of BS and unnecessary. Milk is fine.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• I have to supplement with formula and the doctor told us to use Gerber gentle ease. Pedi said its closest to breastmilk, but it could also just be the pedis preference. My sisters LO weaned herself at 7 months and she went to similar advance. I herd target brand is good too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree that you can continue to bf if you want to. I nursed my ds1 for 18 months and I went back to work at 7 months. I would feed him in the am, pump once or twice at work, feed him at home as usual and pump before I went to bed. I am a teacher and I was the only one pumping at my school. You might be able to make it work.
  • imageOhSewCrafty:

imageRussianMommy:
    You know how they say its best to BF for 2 yrs, and if you introduce solids, that BM or formula still need to be their main source of food.... Does that mean if I stop BF before DS is one, that he needs to be on formula till he's 2? How does this all work??

Nope. Breast milk until 2 is awesome, but if not, you only need formula until around 12 months. Starting close to 12 months you can start introducing whole cow's milk (or goat's milk or whatever floats your boat). They need whole milk because of the fat - its good for them for that first year off formula. Oh, and those "toddler" formulas are a bunch of BS and unnecessary. Milk is fine.

Do they drink this milk as a meal like BM, or for thirst? Are there any sites or books someone can recommend that explains how all of this works? Is it hard to wean a baby off the boob?
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • We found out that we were paying for formula at daycare whether we used it or not, so we made the decision to slowly transition LO from BMilk over to the formula that they use.  We did one bottle a day for week one, 2 bottles per day for wk 2, etc . I kept pumping and freezing during formula feedings, so now I have a huge stash and that is what I use for MOTN feeds, since I can set it out by his bed before I go to sleep and avoid a trip to the kitchen or mixing formula at night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks for the insight ladies! I will probbly transition LO before the year mark, as I just don't know how long I want to be tied to a pump. I have a cabinet full of samples, so ill probably just pick one of those when the time comes and start from there!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Kate_CKate_C member
    imageRussianMommy:
    imageOhSewCrafty:

imageRussianMommy:

Do they drink this milk as a meal like BM, or for thirst? Are there any sites or books someone can recommend that explains how all of this works? Is it hard to wean a baby off the boob?

At six months you start introducing solids usually but they still take some BM or formula as meals. At a year they usually drink milk more like older kids, for thirst instead of meals.
  • I recommend starting with Costco, cheapest and very similar to both similac and enfamil. Our daughter does great on it :
    Together happily for 7 years, Married March 2012--Buckle up! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"