June 2013 Moms

BF Position Issue

I'm still recovering from a c section so right now the only position I can really do is having my little guy on my side while I feed. My issue is no matter how I hold him his nose is pressed into my breast. I've tried propping him up with pillows under the boppy, shifting him around, trying everything I can find online but no matter what I do I can't get his nose out of my breast. Part of my problem is my son has a large head and I have small hands so I can't really maneuver his head during feedings. Anyone have any suggestions?
Lilypie - (A5Rk)

Re: BF Position Issue

• Are you concerned about his breathing during BF because he still have a pocket where he's getting enough O2. And if laying is best for you and the baby isn't crying or uncomfortable then I wouldn't worry.
  • I was told that his nose being puahed against the breast is the perfect latch position. I wouldnt be too worried if LO isn't crying or having problems.
  • Loading the player...
  • PGASTLPGASTL member
    I always have to use my fingers to create a little room for air around LO's nose. Sometimes if you scoot LO up and make sure their chin isn't tucked that helps too, and draw them even closer if possible. Hard to explain with words... Can you meet with a LC in person?

• If he can't breathe, he will let go. I'd say as long as the position is comfortable for you, go with it. I also had a C/S and I use the football hold exclusively now for dd.
  • imagesmellychelly25:
    I was told that his nose being puahed against the breast is the perfect latch position. I wouldnt be too worried if LO isn't crying or having problems.

I was also told this.

• imageJess002:
    imagesmellychelly25:
    I was told that his nose being puahed against the breast is the perfect latch position. I wouldnt be too worried if LO isn't crying or having problems.

I was also told this.

Sometimes it looks like she shouldn't be able to breath, but I hear her. When she can't she unlatches. I'm learning that my comfort during nursing is essential! If I'm not comfortable I want the sessions to end earlier and I dread the next one.
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • I ended up with an unplanned csection too, and the best bf position that for us had been sitting up with baby sitting on my legs. I sit up and position the baby to straddle my thigh, facing me, I support his head/neck with my hand, and scoot him forward until his belly is touching me, and once he's latched on his head tilts slightly back and at least one nostril is fee. I'm finding this position also lets him release a lot of his own burps. Even though he's quite little at 7lbs, this works brilliantly for us.
    IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• Thanks all! I was getting nervous and lightly pushing down on my breast to create more breathing room but read that was bad and could cause disruptions in my milk flow...it just makes me nervous seeing no space between his little nose and my skin!
    Lilypie - (A5Rk)

• imagesmellychelly25:

this! In the hospital dh said something about ds breathing and they told him the baby breathes through the sides of his nose. 

LOUD NOISES!

K- born 7/5/2011

G- born 6/24/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"