Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Our Sleep Situation

Ok. So we are a bit of a hot mess when it comes to sleep. DS (again 4 mos.) sleeps pretty good at night with 1-2 wakings to eat. However, he is dependent on the pacifier for soothing (I know). I'm currently putting him in his crib for naps now (for the last week or so). He does okay in the RNP but needs the pacifier constantly when napping in his crib. I won't be taking away the pacifier before his surgery next week (we won't be allowed to pick him up for a couple of days - kill me) so he'll need some way to soothe himself. But I'd like to start thinking about how to take away the pacifier after he's recovered. We are not sleep training yet.

Question #1: Do I just take it away cold turkey? Has anyone done this and how does it go? I am scared, lol.

We are also still swaddling since his hands still go to his face a lot and wake him up. He is not rolling over yet.

Question #2: Do I wait until we unswaddle him to take away his pacifier? He does like to suck on his hands a lot... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Our Sleep Situation

• Pacifier use has been shown to reduce SIDS, and in a short while your son will be able to paci himself (ours does at 5.5 months most of the time). He will also likely discover his hands on his own when unswaddled- DS prefers the paci but will find his thumb if the pacifier isn't around. I wouldn't mess with what provides your baby comfort and helps him sleep as long as it isn't dangerous.
  • Why the rush to get rid of the paci? If it helps him soothe himself when he's so young, let him. I wouldn't worry about taking it away until closer to 12-18 months.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Loading the player...
  • imageOhSewCrafty:
    Why the rush to get rid of the paci? If it helps him soothe himself when he's so young, let him. I wouldn't worry about taking it away until closer to 1218 months.

This. I thought it wasn't necessary to start thinking about until a year? I'm just now getting my LO to hold it in his mouth for a decent period of time haha

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • There's absolutely no reason to take the pacifier away before 8 to 12 months, from everything I've read. It reduces SIDS risks and is a self soothing tool when they're so young...why the rush to take it away?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• So, I guess I was just worried about him needing it to get to sleep or get back to sleep...do I just deal with it when we sleep train him???
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is he able to self soothe when you don't give him the pacifier? Sometimes by baby wakes up and fusses, and then sucks on her fingers and falls back asleep. If he is able to consistently self soothe you might be able to do it, but otherwise I would just wait until he is older. I've noticed that now sometimes my baby will fall asleep without a pacifier, so I am hoping she will just want it less and less as times goes on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • I think everyone just gets really worked up about sleep training. My LO takes a paci but if he can't find it he sucks his thumb. They will find a way to selfsoothe but I don't think you need to panic about him taking a pacifier and make plans to take it away. I think you're working yourself up over nothing. Just see how it goes after his surgery.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think I had a pacifier until I was like, 5... My parents had to pry it from my jaws of life grasp. And I turned out to be a completed normal human being... I wouldn't worry about yet!

ps good luck with LO's surgery, I'm not up to date on this board so I'm not sure if you previously mentioned what the surgery is for... T&P coming your way though for a safe surgery and speedy recovery!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • imageOhSewCrafty:
    Why the rush to get rid of the paci? If it helps him soothe himself when he's so young, let him. I wouldn't worry about taking it away until closer to 12-18 months.

This is my thoughts as well.

My 5 month old still loves his paci, though he doesn't use it to sleep. If he did, I'd just let him roll with it. It's a non-issue for me until later on in life. My older DS ditched the paci on his own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"