May 2013 Moms

I'm a disaster

So breastfeeding has been painful for the entire six weeks. It got really bad a couple of weeks ago and I asked for Diflucan to treat yeast, assuming that was the issue. After 9 days on it I was still in pain and EP'ing at that point. I called the Dr and without seeing me, even though I tried to get in, they called in antibiotics to treat mastitis. Again, just a guessing game. I didn't have any of the obvious signs.

Over the next couple of days I started feeling better and have been EBF'ing since. Well, ever since yesterday I'm going backward in the pain department. This makes me think it was yeast and it started to get better after I finished the Diflucan but got on the other antibiotics right away and that caused it to come back. So I'm stopping the meds for mastitis and finally have my pp appt on Tuesday.

WWYD? Call the on call Dr and ask for another round of Diflucan, even though the docs always sound annoyed if it's not business hours? Or wait till Tuesday and suffer through feedings all weekend? Unfortunately I can't pump while alone with LO since I can never put him down without blood curdling screams.

Like I said, I'm a disaster.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I'm a disaster

• Have you seen a lactation consultant? I would assume with mastitis you would be in pain all the time. Do you have the same pain when you pump? Could it be a latch issue?

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • pnutgpnutg member
    imagejesselayne8:
    Have you seen a lactation consultant? I would assume with mastitis you would be in pain all the time. Do you have the same pain when you pump? Could it be a latch issue?[/quote
    I haven't seen an LC since he was a week old but we've talked on the phone and she's the one who originally guessed yeast. I also use a nipple shield and his latch seems good. It does not hurt quite as bad when I pump but I keep the suction at the lowest setting.

My LO does not have thrush though. The whole thing is puzzling to me. I'm sick of dreading his feedings every 2 to 3 hours.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member

I don't know what I'd do, but I just want to offer my sympathy! Then again, who cares if they get annoyed... they are getting paid to get annoyed. :-P

The up and down pain thing is so frustrating. Good luck!

• From my experience after BF 3 kids and having both mastitis and yeast at different times, they were very different in how they felt.  The mastitis came from a plugged duct for me.  It was a distinct swollen bump, and was lot to the touch.  The yeast was more of a burning feeling (versus actual warmth to the touch) in the nipples, along with shooting pains from back of the beast toward the nipple...from several locations in the breast.  I hope that helps you distinguish between the two.  I think the best thing is to try some home remedies until your 6 week appt. when the doctor can actually look at your breasts and hopefully accurately diagnose it.  You can put Lotrimin on you nipples & areola to help with yeast, and can nurse without removing it according to my lactation consultant.  You can also dip breasts in a mixture of vinegar and water to help with yeast.  GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Sorry you are going through this. Have you posted on the bfing board? Maybe someone has experience with it?

Sending hug your way!

TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• I agree with seeing a LC. If you are in a lot of pain, call your doctor. Screw their attitude. I am with you and think maybe its still the yeast. I have heard it can be a b!tch to get rid of. Is the pain in the nipple? Or breast tissue? I think if you had mastitis, you would know it, lump, fever etc. and if you have pain in both breasts, I would think its not that. I am sorry it has been so awful for you. Start taking a probiotic too if you aren't already. That can help fend off yeast. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • pnutgpnutg member
    . Feels like glass behind the nipple and stabbing pains in the actual breast pain. I think it definitely sounds like yeast. And its so hard to get rid of with all the sterilizing and stuff. Ugh...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry to hear about your pain! Have you tried a nipple shield while you're healing to help with the pain? It may help get you through to your appointment Tuesday? I don't think I have had thrush, but have definitely dealt with intense nipple pain, and although I now only use them maybe a third of the time, they give my poor nipples a break! Good luck and hang in there you have done great work BFing so far, I hope things get better for you!

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• kmcd23kmcd23 member
    I went to the health food store tonight and picked up grapefruit seed extract. I just used it for the first time. I read that with hourly use during waking hours, it should make a big difference in the first two days. Fingers crossed, and if it's true, I'll share the good news and maybe you could try it too.

On a side note, my LO never seemed to develop thrush either, so per the pedi, we stopped his oral nystatin. And sure enough, he now has white spots in his mouth. We're going on 3 weeks of this now. So frustrating!
  • pnutgpnutg member
    imagekmcd23:
    I went to the health food store tonight and picked up grapefruit seed extract. I just used it for the first time. I read that with hourly use during waking hours, it should make a big difference in the first two days. Fingers crossed, and if it's true, I'll share the good news and maybe you could try it too.

On a side note, my LO never seemed to develop thrush either, so per the pedi, we stopped his oral nystatin. And sure enough, he now has white spots in his mouth. We're going on 3 weeks of this now. So frustrating!

So frustrating! The pedi wouldn't ever prescribe him anything with no symptoms but I think I would feel better if he did. Let me know if the extract helps. Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you have thrush your pedi absolutely needs to prescribe him something. Or you will never get rid of it. Symptoms or not. They should know that and prescribe it for you.
    It does definitely sound like thrush. How much diflucan did they have you taking? From what has been posted on here it sounds like doctors vary a lot in what they prescribe. I was given it for 2 weeks. Two pills the first day and one each consectutive day. Some women on here have been given more, some way less. I was told if you don't take t for a good 14 days it won't work. And you took that extra round of antibiotic which won't help. You're going to def have to advocate for yourself to get help I think. Good luck
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • pnutgpnutg member
    imageNJAZgirl:
    If you have thrush your pedi absolutely needs to prescribe him something. Or you will never get rid of it. Symptoms or not. They should know that and prescribe it for you.
    It does definitely sound like thrush. How much diflucan did they have you taking? From what has been posted on here it sounds like doctors vary a lot in what they prescribe. I was given it for 2 weeks. Two pills the first day and one each consectutive day. Some women on here have been given more, some way less. I was told if you don't take t for a good 14 days it won't work. And you took that extra round of antibiotic which won't help. You're going to def have to advocate for yourself to get help I think. Good luck

They only gave me a 9 day supply. And I asked the pedi 2 different times for something for C and she wouldn't give it since I hadn't actually been seen by my OB. I'm so frustrated, like this could have been avoided. And now I'm ready to give up breastfeeding because of it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm ebf kiddo number three. With number two, we had thrush for what seemed like forever. Sorry...yeast sucks! We just kept passing it back and forth to each other. Doctor prescribed nystatin a few times, never worked. Sad face. The only thing that worked to eliminate it completely for us was gentian violet. They painted his mouth purple in the doctors office twice and said there should be enough in his mouth to transfer to me while nursing. There never was enough with only treating him. I went to the natural foods section and bought gv for myself at home. In treating BOTH of us, the yeast finally cleared up. Good luck! And good for you for containing to ebf through all of this it's not easy and you're doing great for sticking with it!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"