Baby Names

Cole or Nico

Which do you prefer for a nickname for Nicholas?  We are almost 100% sure we are naming this LO Nicholas and we like nn's in our family.  Nicholas has a lot of nicknames (Nick, Nicky, Nico, Cole), and I know that if we don't set one everyone will call him something different and it will be confusing for him. 

Our preference is either Nico or Cole.  It's a toss up to me.  Thoughts?

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 

Re: Cole or Nico

• I love the name Cole, but not as a nn for Nicholas, so I'd go with Nico.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love the name Cole so I pick that.
  • Loading the player...
  • I prefer Nico, but I'm biased because that's one of the names we use on DS, whose name is spelled the German way, Nicklaus.   I usually call him Nicky and DH usually calls him Klaus.

• Nico! :)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • What's your last name? Nico sounds very Greek to me... so it would go better with an ethnic last name IMO.

I love Cole for Nicholas. My husband is Nick, and I never heard of Cole as a nickname... it's really awesome.

• ==N====N== member
    Nico for sure.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I like them both, but I think I prefer Nico as a nn for Nicholas.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageLaurensMomma1105:
    What's your last name? Nico sounds very Greek to me... so it would go better with an ethnic last name IMO. I love Cole for Nicholas. My husband is Nick, and I never heard of Cole as a nickname... it's really awesome.

Our last name is very German. I was initially concerned with it being Greek and there not being a drop of Greek blood in our family. But after asking several sources about it I don't think it's a big deal.

DH and I have been separately considering Cole and Nicholas, as well as other names. Imagine my surprise when I was looking up nicknames for Nicholas and Cole was one of them! lol
  • My friend has twin brothers Nico and Chris (Nicholas and Christopher) so I'd go with Nico :) I love it!
  • I like Coke, but I've never thought of it as a nm for Nicholas.
  • Nico!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I've never heard any of those nn for Nicholas.  I prefer Cole to Nico though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image--halo--:
    imageLaurensMomma1105:
    What's your last name? Nico sounds very Greek to me... so it would go better with an ethnic last name IMO. I love Cole for Nicholas. My husband is Nick, and I never heard of Cole as a nickname... it's really awesome.

Our last name is very German. I was initially concerned with it being Greek and there not being a drop of Greek blood in our family. But after asking several sources about it I don't think it's a big deal.

DH and I have been separately considering Cole and Nicholas, as well as other names. Imagine my surprise when I was looking up nicknames for Nicholas and Cole was one of them! lol

If you were considering Cole anyway, why not go with that?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like them both. I'm also a huge fan of Nick.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • That is a tough one, I really like them both. I've been crushing on Nico since you brought it up a few weeks ago though. So I guess I vote Nico.

On a side note, I'm married to a Nicholas and am ridiculously excited to hear a nn other than Nick. Maybe I'll start calling him Nico or Cole, lol.
    imageimage
  • imageMrsHoffman2b:

If you were considering Cole anyway, why not go with that?

Nicholas is a family name, and Cole is just a name that we liked. It satisfies both wishes.

It seems like opinions are nearly split! Thanks for all the input, I have a feeling we might wait and see him before we decide. lol
  • imageSerendipity117:
    That is a tough one, I really like them both. I've been crushing on Nico since you brought it up a few weeks ago though. So I guess I vote Nico.

On a side note, I'm married to a Nicholas and am ridiculously excited to hear a nn other than Nick. Maybe I'll start calling him Nico or Cole, lol.

Thanks, Serendipity! :D We have a friend named Nicholas who we call Nick, which is one reason we aren't using that nickname. But I have always jokingly called him Nico, just because I like the way it sounds.
  • LOVE Cole!!! so handsome.

I don't like Nico, but that's only because it is my brother's dog's name...so that association ruins it for me.

Nick is cute, too.  

• I love Nico, I think it's both Euro-chic and adorable. Cole sounds somewhat dated to me, I feel like it's a very 2010-ish name, and won't age particularly well.
  • I like Cole. I am not a fan of Nico at all.

• mdr619mdr619 member
    Cole. Definitely Cole!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"