Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Bath Time

My 17 day old dd hates bath time, and cries and screams so much. It completely breaks my heart, so I started doing sponge baths, but her doctor said to wash and rinse her hair under the sink. I tried to stear away from the sink because she hates it so much. Anyone have any useful tips to make her more comfortable? And myself, to be frank. I get so anxious bathing her in the sink while shes obviously distressed. It's my first baby, so I still have a lot to learn! Tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks a bunch!

Re: Bath Time

• Nix55Nix55 member
    She might be cold. You can close the vents in the bathroom. Also, wash her hair last. This will also help keep her warm. If that's not the issue, I'm not sure what to suggest. How about a pacifier, music, a bottle? Ha ha. GL.
  • jefkjefk member
    My baby hates bathtime, too.  What works for us is both my husband and I bathe her together - one of us works her upper half, the other works the bottom half and we get the job done in half the time.  
  • Loading the player...
  • skioskio member
    Do you have a baby tub with a sling? DD hated her first couple baths, but her most recent one, I had her in the sling and filled the tub high enough so that it partially submerged her and she loved it. Just having the warm water touch her back and legs was enough to calm her.

I also make sure the house is warmed up and I pour warm water over her as often as I can manage. Sometimes I dip a washcloth in the warm water and lay it over her belly while I wash her legs/arms/head. Basically, do whatever you can to make sure she's warm!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageskio:
    Do you have a baby tub with a sling? DD hated her first couple baths, but her most recent one, I had her in the sling and filled the tub high enough so that it partially submerged her and she loved it. Just having the warm water touch her back and legs was enough to calm her.

I also make sure the house is warmed up and I pour warm water over her as often as I can manage. Sometimes I dip a washcloth in the warm water and lay it over her belly while I wash her legs/arms/head. Basically, do whatever you can to make sure she's warm!

Pretty much this...it's so much easier to bathe DS in the tub with the sling attachment. That way he can be partially in the water. He loves it when I dip the wash cloth in the water and wring it out over his body. It keeps him warm. He hates getting out and dried off because he gets cold.

Good luck!

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• I agree, the tubs with the sling are great! Or you can wash her body then take her out and swaddle her with the towel, hold her using the football hold, and then wash her hair with your free hand (it sounds complicated but it's much easier than you think). Hope this helps :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • HZ2012HZ2012 member
    Like a pp said, keep a wet warm wash cloth over her belly to keep her warm. Try not to be so anxious. They sense it like a dog. I was so nervous my first few times bathing LO and he cried. As soon as I realized that I can handle it, he loved it. Now we bathe him almost every night , not always with soap, because he loves it so much. Hang in there. It will get better.
  • I'm still only giving sponge baths and I wouldn't put LO near the faucet to rinse. She is just too slippery and wiggly.
    Interesting that the pedi would say to do it.
    I get the wash rag full of clean water and ring it over her hair to rinse.
    Also the wet wash rag over the tummy helps a ton. And turning the AC off or closing the vent until nice and dry and warm again.
  • I agree with all the suggestions from PPs. I have a LO that doesn't like bath time so I take a bath with her and she loves it. 
    Charlotte Elise
      5/27/2013

• jennOKjennOK member
    My little boy is 16 days old, and he also screams during bath time. We are still doing sponge baths. We tried putting him down in the water, and he still hated it. I hope he starts liking it more soon.
  • This is how we do it:

I sit in the tub with my knees up and the shower on but not pointed at me. I do not plug the tub. Then my husband undresses the baby and hands him to me. I wash and rinse him in my lap then hand him back to my husband who is waiting with a towel. I have also kept a wash cloth on him to keep him warm but being in the running shower seems to keep him warm enough that I do not have to do that now that the weather is warmer.     

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • vdc246vdc246 member
    My little girl was not a fan of baths either and with the colic she has it was constant screaming. Until one day we tried having my husband take a bath with her so she could be held. We also played white noise while she was in the bath.

The white noise, warm bath and being held made for the perfect combination for us! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"