December 2010 Moms

Remind me what a 3 month old is like...

I know all babies are different of course, but if you have a LO around 3 months old (or if you just have a better memory than me and remember what they're like), can you please let me know what a "typical" day is?

I am already thinking ahead to when my maternity leave is over and Charlie goes to daycare... what are naps like? How often do they eat? I think Reese was still waking up twice a night at that point, but not three times... I seriously cannot remember at all!

I hope I don't have to pump more than twice at work (I will be away from him 3 days a week from 8:30 - 4:30).

TIA

Re: Remind me what a 3 month old is like...

• Between the hours of 9pm and 6am, my DD would wakeup twice. I would nurse her and then put her back to sleep, so i could leave for work. DH would wake her around 7:20, change her and take DD and DS to the babysitter before work. During the day at the sitter's, she would take an hour long nap once DH dropped her off around 8am, eat and play until 10ish, 3 hr nap, eat/play until about 2:30, nap until I picked her and DS up at 3:30. DD usually cat napped at least one more time before bedtime.
    I've never been able to get either if my kids to nap the way my babysitter does though she's the Baby Whisperer!
    Proud Momma to two beautiful children!!!

• :::Dusting off the memory banks:::

I know Nora had NO nap schedule at that point. She slept when she slept. All attempts to get her on a more regular schedule failed until about 6 months. She woke once a night to feed, and (this is where it gets fuzzy) I think she was still nursing about every 2-3 hours during the daytime. Depending on how efficient you are at pumping, you may be able to get by with 2 sessions eventually... but I'm gonna say you'll need more at first.

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yeah, now we've been in the 4 month wakeful for over two weeks and it's not cool. Not cool at all
    Proud Momma to two beautiful children!!!

• No nap schedule yet @ 4 mo!  He eats every 2-3 hrs.  Nate ate every 3 hrs at night too.  Caleb does sometimes, but sometimes he STTN too!  They are kind of still running the show on their own whims at 3 mo.  Oh, and C is teething early too, which sucks because we just finished the colicky stage. Sorry, not very good news for you I guess. ;) 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • At 3 months old, A was eating every 3 hours during the day, typically napping half of the times in between.  He was waking once a night, but sleeping though the night shortly after.
  • I guess I'm in the minority!  H was on a very consistent nap schedule by 3 months (she went to DC at 2 months).  Naps at 9, noon-1ish (long), and 5ish.  She was still eating about every 3-4 hours I think...eat at 6am, play; eat at 9am then nap; play, eat at noon, nap; eat at 3pm, play, then nap; eat at 7pm, play, then bed by 8pm and sleep until 1-2am for one more bottle.  I was/am a pretty regimented Mom when it comes to meals & naps, but I didn't BF so that is probably a big part of it.  My kiddos were both on pretty good schedules quite early. 

Don't worry, you'll get it all figured out, babies have a way of adapting!  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageColtsdad:
    At 3 months old, A was eating every 3 hours during the day, typically napping half of the times in between.nbsp; He was waking once a night, but sleeping though the night shortly after.
    A had zero schedule and he snacked all day long....but J was similar to Coltsdad's son.nbsp; He kinda settled into his own schedule, I remember telling daycare he needed a bottle every 3 hours and that he only was staying awake about 90min to 2 hours between sleep cycles, he was a catnapper for a long time after he started daycare because it was a common room for napping and playing babies and he was sick for months 36 thank you daycare and winter season.nbsp; oh...and neither of my babies sttn at that age. A we did sleep training at 67 months and he sttn ever since. J we did sleep training at 8 months old because we were waiting out illnesses and vacations and he still wakes 12x a night, although he will tease us from time to time with a full nights sleep. His 2nd tooth just came in so we're hoping maybe he'll wait til daylight to wake us......wishful thinking.nbsp;
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagePGASTL:

I know all babies are different of course, but if you have a LO around 3 months old (or if you just have a better memory than me and remember what they're like), can you please let me know what a "typical" day is?

I am already thinking ahead to when my maternity leave is over and Charlie goes to daycare... what are naps like? How often do they eat? I think Reese was still waking up twice a night at that point, but not three times... I seriously cannot remember at all!

I hope I don't have to pump more than twice at work (I will be away from him 3 days a week from 8:30 - 4:30).

TIA

I have a 3 1/2 month old so I feel like I can help! :)

As for the bolded, I work twice a week this summer and I pump 3 times. I work 8-4.

Here's our schedule when we're home:

7 - awake and nurse

9- nap

10-nurse

1200 nurse and nap (long nap until 3) - some days, today it was not

3 - nurse

5 - cat nap

6 - nurse

8 - nurse and bedtime

He wakes once at night to eat; so 7 nursing sessions in all. 

Not every single day is like this, but most are. If he wakes up earlier, he'll go down for a nap earlier, etc.

The days I work, I'll feed him before I go around 7, then pump around 10, 1230 and 330 (about the times he'd be eating); then nurse at 6 and before bed.

My little man at 0-1-2

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• lrn327lrn327 member
    C had no nap schedule and took 4 30 minute naps at DC (it was horrible, sorry!). He also ate every 3 hours and I did fine with 2 pumping sessions at work.  Good luck, it will be okay!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kj07kj07 member

B was down to one night feeding when I went back to work, but shortly after that he regressed and was back at 2 night feedings for a few months.  That part sucked.

I dropped him off at daycare around 7am and picked him up around 6pm - I pumped 3x a day for many many months. A lot of that will depend on how well your body works with the pump.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • At 3 months, DD was still nursing every 2 hours & napping for nearly an hour every 2 hours. She was waking once a night till the 4 month sleep regression & was waking 2xs+ per night at that point.

DS was nursing every 3 hours at that age & I think napping about 4xs a day. I think he was sleeping 9p -3am, then he'd nurse, then sleep till 6am.

• Let's see...by 3 months old, he was waking up at night to eat about half the time, other nights he would sleep all the way through.

He took 3 naps a day, in a cycle, so it would be like, up at 7, back to sleep 9 to 11, up to eat and then back to sleep at 1-3, up again, back to sleep at 5 for about an hour, then he would go to bed for the night around 8, sometimes waking up at about midnight or so to eat.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Mila will be three months next week. We still nurse on demand (about ever 2.5-3 hours during the day) and she wakes up once a night usually to eat. Her naps are wildly inconsistent and she won't sleep for more than 30 minutes unless she's being held. We're going to do sleep training when she's about five months, as we did with Ava. At night she usually falls asleep with us holding her around 7:30 or 8 and then I dream feed her at 10 and put her in the swing to sleep. If she STTN (rarely) then she's up at 5 to eat. If she's up in the MOTN for a feeding, she'll go back to sleep until around 6:30. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"