August 2013 Moms

Name spelling ?

We plan to use the middle name pronounced El-ees. We are deciding on spelling. 

Elise

Elyse

we aren't crazy about strange spellings. Which would you go with? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
image image

Re: Name spelling ?

• I feel like Elise is more common of a spelling than Elyse. I think that they both get the point of El-ees across though!
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • Elyse is more likely to be pronounced correctly I think as opposed to Elise I can just picture everyone using the long I sound trying to pronounce this spelling, plus I'm a fan of y's in names, if we were having a girl we were going to go with Allyson instead of the more common spelling with the I

BabyFruit Ticker

j13 sept. siggy challenge: Apples:

• Loading the player...
  • I went to school with girl's of both spellings.  I think they are both correct but prefer the y spelling.
    photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• I was drawn to Elise at first but I do understand PP point that they may use the long I sound. I like y's in names too.
  • Elyse
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • My middle name is Elise and no one has ever had any trouble pronouncing it. I think either way is considered correct so it's just a matter of preference.

• I've only ever seen it Elyse. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• imageMom2bois85:
    Elyse is more likely to be pronounced correctly I think as opposed to Elise I can just picture everyone using the long I sound trying to pronounce this spelling, plus I'm a fan of y's in names, if we were having a girl we were going to go with Allyson instead of the more common spelling with the I

Ok. I don't see how Elyse is more likely to be pronounced correctly. I mean I would think the train of thought on that [ at least in my mind] would be that "Elise" would be more commonly pronounced correctly because of the Fur Elise. I would think the y would confuse some people. I mean hell, people call me Nicole and my name has neither an I nor a C in it. People are just not all that bright sometimes.

Now.. It could be that I am extremely biased in this as that is going to be our LO's middle name. I have seen both ways, I just prefer I instead of Y when it comes to names. [Bryce is an example of an exception to this rule for me]

O was born Aug 13!  <3 B.B.F.L

image Why,Yes! I HAVE missed you both!image

• amiefamief member
    I prefer Elyse... but I think people will get both of them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemenriques:
    I was drawn to Elise at first but I do understand PP point that they may use the long I sound. I like y's in names too.

Don't put anything past anyone especially substitute teachers, they are the worst at butchering names! I can say this I hope without offending anyone in particular, sorry if anyone is a sub, I was one too briefly in a border town, I am also guilty of butchering a few names myself lol!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageJ&Jaggies06:

We plan to use the middle name pronounced El-ees. We are deciding on spelling. 

Elise

Elyse

we aren't crazy about strange spellings. Which would you go with? 

I prefer Elise. Elyse with the 'y' throws me off on pronunciation, for me it rhymes with Ulysses with a 'Liss' sound rather than a 'Lease'  sound

• imageCharmedBAcMF:
    imageMom2bois85:
    Elyse is more likely to be pronounced correctly I think as opposed to Elise I can just picture everyone using the long I sound trying to pronounce this spelling, plus I'm a fan of y's in names, if we were having a girl we were going to go with Allyson instead of the more common spelling with the I

Ok. I don't see how Elyse is more likely to be pronounced correctly. I mean I would think the train of thought on that [ at least in my mind] would be that "Elise" would be more commonly pronounced correctly because of the Fur Elise. I would think the y would confuse some people. I mean hell, people call me Nicole and my name has neither an I nor a C in it. People are just not all that bright sometimes.

Now.. It could be that I am extremely biased in this as that is going to be our LO's middle name. I have seen both ways, I just prefer I instead of Y when it comes to names. [Bryce is an example of an exception to this rule for me]

In my mind it sounds correct too I probably shouldn't have said [ everyone else ] but maybe some people thinking it would be pronounced that way... You never know some people aren't great with properly pronouncing names, even if they are blatantly obvious, I'm sure everyone can attest to this...

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageMom2bois85:
    imagemenriques:
    I was drawn to Elise at first but I do understand PP point that they may use the long I sound. I like y's in names too.
    Don't put anything past anyone especially substitute teachers, they are the worst at butchering names! I can say this I hope without offending anyone in particular, sorry if you are a sub, I was one too briefly in a border town, I am also guilty of butchering a few names myself lol!

Yes, but why would a substitute, or regular teacher for that matter, be using a child's middle name?

I think Elise looks the best. Elyse looks weird to me. I don't think you'll have any problems with people mispronouncing it, especially since they probably won't know her MN unless you tell them. 

• That is a fabulous point! I was way over thinking that one lol waa waa waaaa... Obvi lack of sleep is catching up to me ha!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm a teacher and I've only seen the name once, and this girl's parents spelled it Elyse. Either way through, I think it's a very pretty and unique name.
  • I don't think either comes across as strange or "trendy." I prefer Elyse, but I think that's only because I have a friend who named her DD this and spells it this way, so it's familiar. I think it's really a matter of personal preference. Beautiful name, btw!
    image"">imageimageimage"">image"

• Another for Elyse.
    imageimageimageimage

• Elise. I detest the current "Y" trend.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • I'll throw in my two cents...

I think they are both correct, and that its a matter of personal preference.  Personally I like Elyse. 

After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• Elyse

Dh's cousin's name is spelled this way. So I guess I'm used to seeing it spelled with a Y. She's 19, so I don't think her spelling has anything to do with the Y trend. 

• Solid choice, we're actually using this as a first name. We are going with Elise.

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
  • Elise.
    I love it.
  • I actually prefer Elise, but either is fine. PP mentioned that people would call her "Elsie" - oddly enough, when I see Elyse, my mind wants to rearrange the letters or make the name more complicated. As it is a middle name, I'd just stick with "Elise." I feel like it reads "cleaner." I can't justify this opinion with further explanation; just how I read it. 

Beautiful name either way, and I don't think you can make a wrong decision. Well done! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"