High-Risk Pregnancy

Moms who had IUGR

Hello ladies.  I'm looking for other moms who had experience with IUGR.

DS's growth scans and my fundal height measurements were normal until week 32.  Things went quickly downhill from there.  He was estimated as 4lbs1oz at  35 weeks and 4lbs 4oz at 37 weeks when I delivered based on my doctor's recommendation.  DS actually only weighed 3lbs 7.8oz at birth.  Thankfully, he didn't have any respiratory problems or issues with sugar, temp, or jaundice.  He was perfect, just small.

I had weekly NSTs from 32 weeks to delivery and biweekly biophysical profiles from 35 weeks to delivery. All of these tests always came back normal. After delivery, my OB had my placenta sent to pathology to be tested.  That came back normal as well.

Were you ever given a reason for your IUGR?  What are the chances of it happening again?  My OB wants to do additional testing on me three months post partum.  Did any of you have this done?  I think it's bloodwork to see if I'm a carrier for something.

TIA!

Re: Moms who had IUGR

• I've had two IUGR boys and aside from having Oligohydrominos there were no other reasons given.  

DS2 the noticed I had low fluid at 32 weeks but they didn't realize how small he was until my last u/s the day I had him.  He was born at 38 weeks and was 3lbs 15oz.  

With DS3 I was monitored more closely starting at 20 weeks where we noticed he was small.  I ended up having a repeat csection at 36 weeks when he failed his BPP.  He was 4lbs 10oz.  

I never had any testing done after having them.   

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • I am a FTM, but DD was diagnosed with IUGR during a growth scan (mandated due to GD) at 34 weeks. 

My fundal height measurements are always right on track. I have 2x weekly NSTs, BPPs, and will have another growth scan next week. 

One doctor "jokingly" told me that "they may be starving me" with my GD diagnosis and that could be a reason for IUGR. I am still not sure how to take that.

My normal OB explained it is just a placental issue, and that the cause is unknown.

• Loading the player...
  • image618mom22boys:

I've had two IUGR boys and aside from having Oligohydrominos there were no other reasons given.  

My fluid was always fine, and I've never been given a reason.  I think that's what is so frustrating.  Thank you for sharing your experience!

• imageMrsWahidi:

My normal OB explained it is just a placental issue, and that the cause is unknown.

Yeah that's really all I'm getting too.  And the doctor that made the starving comment to you is an idiot.  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

• imageTeacher Clark:
    My placenta was fine, I did have low AF and GD. I didn't have any testing after DD was born. We noticed she was small at our 20 week US. We had growth US every 3 weeks after that and NSTs 2Xs a week. Her percentiles kept going down until I started a high calorie and high protein diet that was GD friendly, then she started growing better.

Thank you for sharing.  My doctors never said anything to me about changing my diet except to remind me to drink lots of water.  Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"