May 2013 Moms

Trust your instincts (PP/D&C related)

After giving birth, I bled pretty heavily at first and then after 1.5 weeks it tapered off and for the next almost two weeks all I had was discharge- no blood whatsoever.

Then, for the last five days, suddenly I began to pass large clots and I was bleeding gushes of blood daily, mostly at night in the middle of the night when I wake up to pump or during pumping.

I called the nurse at my OB's practice the first time I felt the gushes of blood and she said it was normal to bleed like that, even at 5 weeks PP and to only call if I was soaking a pad an hour.

Last night at 3:30 am while pumping for my sweet baby girl, I felt  a huge clot pass and then I started to gush blood very heavily. I had to stop pumping, jump out of bed (I was wearing a heavy pad as I had bled like this for a few nights) and run to the bathroom where I passed another clot. There was blood dripping all over my carpets, tile and down my legs.

My husband told me I had to call the emergency OB line and that this kind of gushing can't be normal. I finally called and the OB on call told me to go to the hospital where I delivered our baby to be assessed. I continued to pass clots and gushes of blood while there, periodically (I was also pumping while at the hospital since I was away from the baby).

It turns out when I had an u/s that they did find tissue still in my uterus. I had to have a D&C surgery today to get it out.  

Moral of the story: sometimes, you have to go with your gut. If you just know something is wrong or "off" it might be your instincts telling you that something is very wrong.

Thanks for reading... 

Re: Trust your instincts (PP/D&C related)

• Oh wow, I'm so glad you're okay. Thank you for the reminder. Hope you will recover quickly.
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • I'm so glad to hear you called your OB and they did an u/s. Hoping for a quick recovery for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hope you have a smooth recovery, what a scary situation!
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • thank you so much everyone! :)
  • Oh wow.  How scary.  I'm glad you went to the hospital and that you are on your way to recovery now.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How terrifying! I'm so glad you are ok now! T&P for a speedy recovery!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Glad to hear that you trusted yourself and got it taken care of. Hope you are feeling better now.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am sorry you went through that. Thank you for sharing and I hope you feel better soon.

• motangmotang member
    I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope you have a quick recovery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • pnutgpnutg member
    Prayers for a speedy recovery!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Really glad you went in to get checked, and that you are ok.
  • how scary! I'm glad you're okay!
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    So sorry you had to go through that. I hope your recovery is quick and easy!
  • Thank you so much for the feedback and support everyone! Very much appreciated.
  • Glad you're ok! The same thing happened to my mom when she had my sister 22 years ago, and she lost so much blood that she nearly didn't make it. Scary! Again, glad all is ok!
  • Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Very scary. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Oh my! What a beating. So sorry that you're having to go through all of this.
    Hope u feel better soon!
  • Hope you're feeling better quickly!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • krwactkrwact member
    What a scary experience!  You're so, so right about trusting your instincts. Hopefully everyone remembers this about their own health and for theirLO's. 
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm so sorry! I'm so glad you're ok. It's true, you have to trust your gut. Something similar happened to me. My midwife kept telling me it was normal...which in her defense it probably was for most women, it was only 10 days postpartum. I ended up spiking a 103 fever and having crippling pain and was hospitalized for 3 days and got a D&C. I know how hard it is so I'm so thankful everything is ok now for you!

• Very scary!  Good thing you listened to your body.  I hope your recovery is going well.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"