September 2013 Moms
Options

Doctor won't sign off on TDap

Ugh. So I have an HMO so my primary care physician has to sign off on anything for it to be covered. I requested the TDap vaccine because the CDC recommends getting it during third tri to pass some immunity to the baby. She said she won't sign off til I deliver.

I know I am not a doctor, but I feel like I should be able to make informed decisions about my own family's health care, especially when it is a CDC recommendation! 

Re: Doctor won't sign off on TDap

• Options
    That's bizarre. I'd push your doctor. It's recommended because some if the immunity can be passed on to the baby. Was this a primary care or OB?
    Due September 4th! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bexsdbexsd member
    Primary care. My OB said it is fine, but my insurance requires primary care request everything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

With such a sue-happy culture, most docs/PCPs don't want to touch anything OB related. While it sucks, I'm not all that shocked.

If you really want it, you could always pay OOP for it. I think it's around $70. Or maybe your OB could write a letter to your PCP saying they recommend it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Just go get it at your local CVS or Walgreens, you don't need a prescription from your doctor and you pay out of pocket, It's not expensive so you won't have to worry about your insurance covering it.
  • Options
    imagebexsd:
    Primary care. My OB said it is fine, but my insurance requires primary care request everything.

Sorry, I read that but it didn't register in my brain!
    Due September 4th! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bexsdbexsd member

imagejunewife:
    If you're planning to breastfeed, immunity will be passed that way as well if you get the shot after delivery.

This makes me feel better. I haven't decided if I will just pay out of pocket at a pharmacy. Basically it just annoys me that I can't make the decision myself when it is a recommendation. 

• Options

imagebexsd:
    This is dumb.

I don't have any advice, though... 

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    bexsdbexsd member
    imageCDMay2006:

imagebexsd:
    This is dumb.

I don't have any advice, though... 

the joy of hmos. everything is covered they just make it a pain in the butt to actually get it. 

• Options
    imageMissy2020:
    Just go get it at your local CVS or Walgreens, you don't need a prescription from your doctor and you pay out of pocket, It's not expensive so you won't have to worry about your insurance covering it.

I'm pretty sure they won't vaccinate pregnant women without a doctors note.
  • Options
    ?? The whole point is to have it so it can pass from you to baby and afford them some immunity until they can be vaccinated. Can OB chat to Primary? Sounds like primary is being weird.
  • Options
    I was told I get mine after delivery which doesn't make sense for the point of passing it on to baby?! Like others said just pay for it and maybe get reimburse once he signs off.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"