Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Help! Rash and can't call doctor...

Not looking for expert medical advice or anything. My 13 month old's doctor was out today and of course tonight and tomorrow so I can't call and ask.

My boy had a high fever for a few days with no other symptoms. Then just today he got a flat (not bumpy) speckly pink rash. I called them up, had to talk to a nurse since the doctor was out, and she said it sounded like roseola. I agreed that it does look like the same rash. However, she said it would not hurt or itch.

Just a little while ago my boy started scratching a lot, especially on his head. There is a spot where he scratched til he bled!

If your kid has had roseola, did it itch like that? Should I be worried that it's NOT roseola enough to try to find some care tomorrow on the holiday? Also, what can I do to ease the itching? First time mom with first time sick kid, I don't have any experience yet : (

Re: Help! Rash and can't call doctor...

• Options

It sounds like Roseola. DD had pretty much the same exact symptoms, although wasn't itchy. My bestie is a doctor and she said that the rash should look almost lacy. She said high fever for a few days and then the presence of a lacy rash is classic Roseola. So maybe the itchy spot on his head is just a coincidence. Does he seem uncomfortable otherwise?

I probably wouldn't seek out a doctor for that, but that's just me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Just to clarify, the rash is worst on his head/face/ears where he is scratching. It is also on his torso but he is not scratching there (yet). Yes he is really whiny so I would say the itchiness is bothering him.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Could it be reaction to mmr vaccine? Sounds like how my LO reacted 2 weeks after. Except I don't think it was itchy. It was high fever for 3 days then spots on his face/torso.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My little guy had roseola and it lasted about 3 days. It started near the top of his body and worked its way down. He had the accompanying fever, but no itching. He also had a reaction to his MMRV vaccination about a week and a half after receiving it. It was also a rash that looked very similar to the roseola rash, but was only on his torso. That also only lasted a couple of days. By any chance did he happen to have a bug bite or something else on his head that maybe made him itch? Has he been itching any other spots on his body? I hope all clears up well! No fun when they aren't feeling 100%.
  • Options
    Try putting coconut oil on the areas. You can also let your LO eat coconut oil, might want to mix it into something though. Roseola is caused by a bacterial infection. Coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties. 
  • Options
    imageBriDaily:
    Try putting coconut oil on the areas. You can also let your LO eat coconut oil, might want to mix it into something though. Roseola is caused by a bacterial infection. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties.nbsp;

Roseola is definitely caused by a virus, not a bacterial infection.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Does he still have a fever? It's my understanding that the rash comes after the fever goes away.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

He has no fever. And yes, he is itching other places too, behind his ears, his forehead, entire scalp etc. The rash is worst on his head/face but is also on his torso. He isn't itching there yet.  

He didn't have the MMR shot yet, so he didn't have a reaction to shot.

At 11 he woke up screaming and its almost 2 now! AGH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"