Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Help! Rash and can't call doctor...

Not looking for expert medical advice or anything. My 13 month old's doctor was out today and of course tonight and tomorrow so I can't call and ask.

My boy had a high fever for a few days with no other symptoms. Then just today he got a flat (not bumpy) speckly pink rash. I called them up, had to talk to a nurse since the doctor was out, and she said it sounded like roseola. I agreed that it does look like the same rash. However, she said it would not hurt or itch.

Just a little while ago my boy started scratching a lot, especially on his head. There is a spot where he scratched til he bled!

If your kid has had roseola, did it itch like that? Should I be worried that it's NOT roseola enough to try to find some care tomorrow on the holiday? Also, what can I do to ease the itching? First time mom with first time sick kid, I don't have any experience yet : (

Re: Help! Rash and can't call doctor...

• It sounds like Roseola. DD had pretty much the same exact symptoms, although wasn't itchy. My bestie is a doctor and she said that the rash should look almost lacy. She said high fever for a few days and then the presence of a lacy rash is classic Roseola. So maybe the itchy spot on his head is just a coincidence. Does he seem uncomfortable otherwise?

I probably wouldn't seek out a doctor for that, but that's just me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just to clarify, the rash is worst on his head/face/ears where he is scratching. It is also on his torso but he is not scratching there (yet). Yes he is really whiny so I would say the itchiness is bothering him.

• Loading the player...
  • Could it be reaction to mmr vaccine? Sounds like how my LO reacted 2 weeks after. Except I don't think it was itchy. It was high fever for 3 days then spots on his face/torso.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My little guy had roseola and it lasted about 3 days. It started near the top of his body and worked its way down. He had the accompanying fever, but no itching. He also had a reaction to his MMRV vaccination about a week and a half after receiving it. It was also a rash that looked very similar to the roseola rash, but was only on his torso. That also only lasted a couple of days. By any chance did he happen to have a bug bite or something else on his head that maybe made him itch? Has he been itching any other spots on his body? I hope all clears up well! No fun when they aren't feeling 100%.
  • Try putting coconut oil on the areas. You can also let your LO eat coconut oil, might want to mix it into something though. Roseola is caused by a bacterial infection. Coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties. 
  • imageBriDaily:
    Try putting coconut oil on the areas. You can also let your LO eat coconut oil, might want to mix it into something though. Roseola is caused by a bacterial infection. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties.nbsp;

Roseola is definitely caused by a virus, not a bacterial infection.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Does he still have a fever? It's my understanding that the rash comes after the fever goes away.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He has no fever. And yes, he is itching other places too, behind his ears, his forehead, entire scalp etc. The rash is worst on his head/face but is also on his torso. He isn't itching there yet.  

He didn't have the MMR shot yet, so he didn't have a reaction to shot.

At 11 he woke up screaming and its almost 2 now! AGH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"