Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Bad Mommy

I was cutting LO's nails and I was on the last one, his thumb. I ended up cutting his thumb and it bleed forever. It didn't hurt him and its very small, but I feel terrible! I hope he doesn't chew on it and cause an infection. I guess I just needed to confess. Anyone else do something like that and they felt terrible after?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Bad Mommy

• Options

I did the first time I clipped LO's nails at probably a week old.  I swore I'd never clip them again haha and unlike your LO mine screamed!....Of course, I've clipped them since.

BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This has happened a few times around here. They DO bleed forever, don't they? So sad.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh, I've done that twice. I'm literally terrified of cutting her nails now, because it's so easy to get her skin in the clippers. It gives me anxiety...
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    I ALWAYS just file because I'm terrified of cutting my DD.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for making me feel better!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DH nicked DS slightly the first time he cut his nails. It didn't seem to hurt much- I don't think DS even cried at all. It bled for a tiny bit then stopped.

If you're concerned about the wound getting infected, there are little mittens you can buy to put on his hands to prevent him from putting the wounded finger in his mouth.

• Options
    DCKateDCKate member
    Both DH and I have each done this to DD . Her nails are really in need of clipping but now I'm too freaked to do it! Don't feel bad, you aren't alone!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • Options
    Use baby nail scissors! I feel sooo much safer than with clippers!
  • Options
    I did this the other day!!!!! I was almost crying! There was blood all over his hand and he only whimpered. I was kissing his face all over, "I'm so sorry, baby, I'm so sorry!" I told SO I'm never trimming his nails again. He doesn't nap well AT ALL or I would do it then.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i did that the first time i clipped his nails to when he was about 2 weeks old.  he cried so hard! i haven't clipped his nails since.  it freaked me out too much! i just use a nail file now.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

imageboxermama15:

yup!  

• Options

imageboxermama15:

yup!  

• Options
    I did that to my DS when he was only three weeks old.  It bled forever and I completely freaked out.  I called my mom hysterical who told me to go over to my neighbor's house until she could come over.  I cried longer than my DS, but thank goodness for my mom and neighbor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oh gawd I've done it too.  Didn't even really make DD bleed, but I took a small chunk of her thumb skin off and she cried out, I felt just awful about it.  I actually worried that I'd scarred her finger for life and until it healed a couple of days later, couldn't stop thinking about it.

I didn't even tell my mom, she would have made me feel worse about it!  What is it about babies' thumbnails that make them so difficult to trim without catching their skin?

This thread actually prompted me to trim her nails now, while she's asleep (so, thanks!).  I will not do it while she's awake anymore, it's not worth it.  I find I have to do it every second day though, or she gets sharp edges and flails about until she eventually draws blood somewhere. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nail file!!! I don't cut baby nails anymore!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I don't clip nails, so as to avoid this. 

My mom or FI clips DS1 and DS2's nails. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"