Babies: 6 - 9 Months

"stuck" on her tummy

The only thing preventing my DD from sleeping through the night is that she keeps rolling onto her tummy and starts crying.  She sticks her arms straight out and flails around.  She started rolling from tummy to back when she was 2 months old.   I'm pretty sure this isn't all that uncommon?...I flip her back onto her back but then she's upset. And we're going through sleep training right now so I'm frustrated that this is waking her up, since that means she'll have to cry and it messes up the huge progress in sleep that she'd otherwise be having. Is this just a phase? Or did you have to pretty much reteach your LO to roll back over? She's doing the same thing during the day time.  IDK why she's "forgotten"

Re: "stuck" on her tummy

• Yup, we had this same problem.  She woke up multiple times a night and I would always find her on her belly.  I flipped her back if she was really upset, otherwise I would just put the paci back and try to pat her back for a minute to see if she would just lay her head back down and sleep that way.  After maybe 5-7 days sleep went back to normal, but now we always find her on her belly in the mornings :)  Hang in there, it'll get better soon!
  • We just got over this phase with LO. She will roll all over the floor during the day. However, she just acts groggy and would not roll back over in her sleep. As soon as I would roll her over, it was lights out. It only lasted a few days for us. Hang in there!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • we have been going through this for awhile so I am glad you asked this question. I have been trying to reteach dd to roll from belly to back again which she has done a handful of times but will not do when she is really tired. I am starting to think maybe I should just let get used to sleeping on her stomach. I am still trying with her daily though to roll stomach to back and hoping she catches on for bed time! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Benjamin did this for a little while. I can't remember exactly how long, maybe a few days? But eventually he started sleeping on his tummy and has never slept better. Hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LimaDLimaD member
    Ok, another question--for those who say their LO eventually just started sleeping on their tummy.  Did they typically enjoy tummy time? My DD isn't a fan. 
  • imageLimaD:
    Ok, another question--for those who say their LO eventually just started sleeping on their tummy.  Did they typically enjoy tummy time? My DD isn't a fan. 

It took DS close to a week before he became comfortable with belly sleeping.  It is definitely his preferred position now.   

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When DS went through this he LOVED tummy time, but HATED sleeping on his tummy. He just had to get comfortable rolling while sleepy and now his favorite sleep position is his tummy. I always lay him down on his back and he almost immediately rolls to his side or tummy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO would roll around the house all day long but as soon as we put her in her crib she'd cry out to be flipped back. I'd just go in and flip her back a couple of times a night at first. Then I got sick if it and let her CIO for awhile until she dealt with the situation on her own by either falling asleep on her tummy or rolling over herself. The most annoying thing is now she can roll over very easy but she want o sleep on her tummy now. Man I would have gotten a lot more sleep If only she wanted to back then!
  • Both my kids have been stomach sleepers (2 year old, 3 month old). Personally, I think it is more comfortable to sleep that way. I would just try rubbing your daughter's back when you find her on her stomach until she goes back to sleep. She probably just needs to realize it is okay to sleep on her stomach.
  • jac409jac409 member
    My DD has been doing the same thing lately and I have been at a loss as to what to do myself.  Maybe I need to break down and start sleep training because she does not put herself back to sleep well at all.  
  • imageLimaD:

She typically didn't mind tummy time, and we started doing it when she was about a week old.  She's always had days where she hates it and wants to be picked up, and then other days where she'll lay there for awhile and just look around.  She doesn't really do "tummy time" anymore, because the second I put her down she's wiggling around and trying to crawl, or trying to transition from hands and knees back to sitting. 

• LOL! DD did that too... she figured out pretty quickly how to fall asleep on her belly though, because I'm a tough mamma. It took about a week, but necessity is the mother of invention, and she figured out how to roll both ways.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"