Toddlers: 24 Months+

Did you use rewards to PT?

(Also posted on PT Board)  

We initially used a sticker chart but she grew tired of that.  Several months later, she is going all of the time at daycare but absolutely refuses to use the potty at home.  We tried putting underwear on her last weekend and asking her if she could keep them dry but that didn't work at all.  She had potty tantrums.

So we're stepping it up by giving her a treat for using the potty.  She is really excited to use it now but I am conflicted about using treats (she gets two Raisinettes) to motivate her.  Has anyone done this and did it work long-term?  Or should we just wait a few months until she decides to use the potty all of the time?  She is 29 months.  TIA for suggestions.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14

Re: Did you use rewards to PT?

• We did sticker chart with a big reward (10 stars = toy which was prominently displayed but out of reach) and we did skittles. 

It took both to actually do the trick.  Stickers itself did nothing.  Having the toy displayed but out of reach is really what did it.  He'd see the toy and want it, we'd reinforce and say he could have it when he got 10 stars.  Then we'd ask him how he earns stars and he'd say by going potty in the potty.

If she's doing it at DC than she's ready.  But does she tell DC that she has to go or do they anticipate and stay one step ahead? 

You just need to find out what she really really wants and what will motivate her. Hershey kisses, skittles, a toy, etc. 

• Thanks for the input.  Yes, she tells her teachers at school when she needs to go.  She stays dry almost 100% of the time at DC which is why we really want her to train at home.  I like your suggestion about the sticker chart with bigger reward.  I was also thinking about letting her watch an episode of her favorite show (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) for each day that she stays dry all day.  

ETA:  How long did you use your reward system and has he continued to be successful if you stopped?

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Loading the player...
  • We potty trained at Easter. LO got a jelly bean for pee in the potty and 2 jelly beans for poop. After about a week, he stopped asking for them and kept going potty on the toilet.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageXcrisscrossX:
    We potty trained at Easter. LO got a jelly bean for pee in the potty and 2 jelly beans for poop. After about a week, he stopped asking for them and kept going potty on the toilet.

We did this except instead of jelly beans we used M&Ms.  And after about a week or two he forgot to ask for the M&Ms so that worked out for us. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LSU628LSU628 member

We used M&Ms for pee at first. Poop was much harder. I took her to walmart and let her pick out a bunch of cheap toys. Like PP we put them in a basket up on the sink where she could see them. If she went, she got a prize out of the basket.

We also did a sticker chart once she got the hang on things. Every day she stayed dry at school, she got a sticker. She helped us pick a list of rewards and for every 5 days she stayed dry she got a reward (ice cream, nails painted, trip to the zoo (we have a membership), etc.)

imageimage
  • Yep. For DS, we used MMs for pee. He had a hard time with poop, so we went to the store and picked out a set of Matchbox cars. He got a car every time he pooped in the potty, but he had to give one back if he had an accident.

With DD, jelly beans did the trick.

• We did 2 M & Ms and she is starting to phase them out.  I only give them if she reminds me, but probably only remembers once a day now.  Once the bag is gone I'm not buying anymore.  I will warn her when the bag is almost empty.  I think for situations like these rewards work well because even when you end the reward they are already in the grove and shouldn't really revert back just because the treat is gone.  This is the way my mom trained me and my brother and even though I no longer get M & Ms I'm still potty trained :)
  • We used mini M&M's.  We started young, before he'd understand the concept of a sticker chart (though now he's 2.5 and I'm thinking of using that for other things).  Eventually he forgot about the M&Ms and they just got phased out.  I'm not against using rewards for things like this - everyone needs a little motivation! :)
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I didn't, for philosophical reasons.  It has worked out fine, but I had to wait until she was ready - mentally AND physically - which meant shortly after 3.
    IMG_8355
  • We had DS look online and in the TRU catalog for a "prize." We gave him change to put in his piggy bank. Once he "earned" the prize, we got it for him. DS was 30 months when he got PTed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"